RARE 16 mm print of STAR WARS viewing

Jedifyfe

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I just had to post that I am sitting here with Laamberry, Mike Davis, Matt Munson, Brian M, E-wan, Angel and Mike Sena watching a rare 16 mm Mono print of Star Wars. This is an original print with all the original dialog and even without A NEW HOPE at the beginning.

It was.....awesome!

Last edited:
That wasn't George's original vision though. He knew there'd be HD and digital technology to truly make it the way he wanted one day and that is why they are the true masterpieces they are today on glorious Blu-Ray....

:lol

Lucky. How was the colour? The only pre-digital remastering version I have is an early '80s VHS tape which is very bleached out, but still represents a faint link to the original theatre presentation...I would love to be able to compare this vid with the print you saw to see what, colourwise, they have in common with each other and what they don't share with the later versions, from the digitally remastered VHS editions on.

Film turns to red over time unless it's what's called an IB Technicolor print.

This print IS shifting to red but with a couple filters it's still has nice color. Especially reel three.

Insanely jealous! :cool

Man I saw SW in the summer of '77, but I'm betting the version I watched said "A New Hope" etc. Would have loved to see the uber original version! :thumbsup

Kevin

The "bastardized" version with that label on it didn't appear until the re-release of Star Wars just before the release of TESB.

They added the Episode 4, on that release.

So if you saw it summer of '77 it was probably free of the horrible label.

The laserdiscs and rips are far better than this is (except for that extra label). And frankly the mono soundtrack drives me nuts. I grew up on the six channel stereo mix.

The real kick is the full on click/clack of the projector behind you and the Cinemascope.

I just had to post that I am sitting here with Laamberry, Mike Davis, Matt Munson, Brian M, E-wan, Angel and Mike Sena watching a rare 16 mm Mono print of Star Wars. This is an original print with all the original dialog and even without A NEW HOPE at the beginning.

It was.....awesome!

Post-orgasmic glow, huh...?

Thanks for the invite, guys. Sorry I couldn't make it. My evening event ran longer than expected.

"Episode IV A New Hope" was added for the '81 re-release, not before Empire.

Sounds like a fun viewing!

Post-orgasmic glow, huh...?

Thanks for the invite, guys. Sorry I couldn't make it. My evening event ran longer than expected.

Sorry you couldn't make it also, though you were referenced a few times regarding the Death Star shots that were reversed.

Sorry you couldn't make it also, though you were referenced a few times regarding the Death Star shots that were reversed.
JUST the Death Star shots? What about the hangar scene where Han, R2, et al are reversed? Or when Darth Vader or Obi Wan is reversed? :rolleyes

Here's a tip, George: If you want to be able to flip the image to a mirror image, make the costumes/character designs 100% SYMMETRICAL! Then we won't notice it when you pull that crap! Otherwise, film the scene the right way 'round the first time!!! :p

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back