Tobin's Spirit Guide! (RESEARCH SIGN-UP POST 364!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Tobin's Spirit Guide! (NEW sample pic pg. 4)

If not brown, maybe it's that the black is so vivid, intact, and bold. Maybe if it was a bit splotchy?

I dunno, there is something about that bold black that is screaming fresh new book to me.

But A+ on the syle.

That brown comes with age, when first printed those suckers are black. ;)

The book will be printed on ivory paper so that will help things a bit, but it'll be black ink for sure. When I finish up the book I'll probably do some artificial print distressing, at least on the pics.

I think the effect TGG is trying to describe comes from the inherent flaws of period printing presses. Little bits of too much/too little ink throughout. Just aging the pages won't quite create that.

As to your new art samples. Much more like it! Bravo. The newest one feels a bit cartoony ATM, but I think that only due to the lack of BG.

I think the effect TGG is trying to describe comes from the inherent flaws of period printing presses. Little bits of too much/too little ink throughout. Just aging the pages won't quite create that.

As to your new art samples. Much more like it! Bravo. The newest one feels a bit cartoony ATM, but I think that only due to the lack of BG.

Oh I know what he's referring to. ;) I'll probably end up doing something to distress the pics a bit but it's a very hard look to mimic properly. On the flip side I have books from that era that are flawlessly printed. Depends on the value of the book really. Here's a scan of a pic from one of my collection printed in 1933:

6552575913_4162774f32_z.jpg

The print is flawless in the entire book. :)

As for cartoony, ya, it's going to be for creatures like this one because I want to have them look like they did in the cartoon. It will definitely be less cartoony when I fill in the rest of the image. :thumbsup

Keep the suggestions coming! (and don't feel like I'm shooting you down if I debate you on them, that's just the type of guy I am)

Y'know, I like the stay faithful to the cartoon design thing. Sort of makes it more canonical that way. Good on ya.

Nobody likes a debate more than me, so don't worry 'bout that. ;)

Y'know, I like the stay faithful to the cartoon design thing. Sort of makes it more canonical that way. Good on ya.

Nobody likes a debate more than me, so don't worry 'bout that. ;)

Nuh uh! *I* like a debate more! :lol

I do want at least the main cartoon bad guys to be faithful to their designs, but not too cartoony. I'll have to take it on a case by case basis. I think this one will be alright once everything else is in there.

Who knows, I might finish it and have to scrap the whole thing!

Your sketch looks good. Maybe a bit less cartoony and stretch out the wood carve shading lines so they take up more area.

I did a quick sketch, kind of messy but you get the idea -
slor.jpg

Also, all the images dont have to be anatomically perfect (but still keep some variance). they can be a bit stylized similar to this

werewolf.jpg

So Darth... Wanna draw Tobin's? :lol

I WISH I was that good an artist!

Wish i could, but Ive got a lot of other stuff on my plate.

You're more than welcome to use some of my creature designs of done in the past though.

I really like the new sketch Orange. The style is very fitting.

Darth that is wicked awesome, very nice work. Wish I could help you guys out on the art but my weapon of choice is an airbrush haven't picked up a pencil to draw in over 15 years. :$ Lazy. :lol

I really like the new sketch Orange. The style is very fitting.

Darth that is wicked awesome, very nice work. Wish I could help you guys out on the art but my weapon of choice is an airbrush haven't picked up a pencil to draw in over 15 years. :$ Lazy. :lol

Me neither unfortunately! That's why mine looks like a four year old did it next to Darth's awesome piece of work there! (thanks for the compliment though)

It's a crying shame he's busy. Imagine how awesome this book would be with HIS artwork in it!

Back to the drawing board I guess... :unsure

Me neither unfortunately! That's why mine looks like a four year old did it next to Darth's awesome piece of work there! (thanks for the compliment though)

It's a crying shame he's busy. Imagine how awesome this book would be with HIS artwork in it!

Back to the drawing board I guess... :unsure

Wouldn't go that far at all you both have different styles. Your work is great as well and the new style fits the mood/design of this book. Push on it will be awesome. :)

Nonsense. As Finhead said, different styles.
Your stuff kicks butt!

Your first image a few pages back reminded me a bit of a graphic B&W Basil Gogo style. One of the best in creature illustrations.

Nonsense. As Finhead said, different styles.
Your stuff kicks butt!

Your first image a few pages back reminded me a bit of a graphic B&W Basil Gogo style. One of the best in creature illustrations.

Thanks, that's much more my style but a little too stark for this book. Somehow I need to learn how to draw like you quick! :lol

Hey OB, since DS is busy, I'd love to help.

Here's Slimer, about 42 hours of work all together:

It took me like three hours to finish the shading on his upper lip. It's probably the best drawing I've ever done.

8b391351.jpg

The way the thatch and shadow marks don't really stay inside the lines really gives it a three demensional feel I think.

Who knew TGG had such a flair! Looks like you've got a new artist for the project O-B!
ahh hem... I'll drag my books out and throw a few pics your way after the holiday madness. My art's more "scrimshaw" like, all dark lines and shading.
Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back