Tobin's Spirit Guide! (RESEARCH SIGN-UP POST 364!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Tobin's Spirit Guide! (sample pic pg. 3)

I have to agree as well on going with the wood carvy style.
Maybe something like Berni Wrightson's Frankenstein art.

Btw love the ideas floating around for this book. Can't wait to see the finished product.

I have to agree as well on going with the wood carvy style.
Maybe something like Berni Wrightson's Frankenstein art.

Btw love the ideas floating around for this book. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Something like this eh?

frankenstein3.jpg

I like the way you think! Wish I was a better artist but I'll have a go at it.

Looks good. I might also suggest varying the styles of the art. Not exclusively wood cut, but some images that look like they were taken from 17, 18, 19 century paintings.

There's one popular vintage painting in particular that comes to mind as an example. I can't remember the name of it but it shows a woman sleeping in her bed with a demonic imp sitting on her bed watching her sleep.
You know which one I'm taking about ?

Looks good. I might also suggest varying the styles of the art. Not exclusively wood cut, but some images that look like they were taken from 17, 18, 19 century paintings.

There's one popular vintage painting in particular that comes to mind as an example. I can't remember the name of it but it shows a woman sleeping in her bed with a demonic imp sitting on her bed watching her sleep.
You know which one I'm taking about ?

Edit: thanks Darth Saber. Love that painting. Gives me the chills.

Yet another great idea Darth Saber! I think I'm going to try and make any artwork "made for the book" in the woodcut style and then add reference images from other sources.

As I do have plans on eventually selling these I'll have to be very careful with that though 'cause the last thing I want is to be stuck with 100 books because someone says "that's my artwork"!

woop. That would stink. Still could do it under the table. PM's, emails, dark alley drop-offs. right?

woop. That would stink. Still could do it under the table. PM's, emails, dark alley drop-offs. right?

Nah. I'll just make sure that anything I pooch was made by someone who's been dead for 100 years! :lol

OB I like that last sample page you posted! I'll be back to work on this tomorrow for you.

If you can get a hold of old Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manuals, there are a ton of pics you might fight suitable.

Give me some sample creatures and I'll see if I can find some.

I'll have a new pic up tonight. Trying out a Boogieman drawing in more of an etch style. It's not my usual style but I think it's coming out alright so far. You guys will have to let me know.

Okay, here's the Boogieman's face in a new style. Keep in mind that this is just his face right now, the finished product would be a full plate with his body and a BG (probably a closet door with light behind him.

Be gentle, this isn't my style. Time on this drawing about 40mins.

6552360075_209c31efd9_z.jpg

Those pics look like a good starting point JQ! Keep 'em coming. :)

Re: Tobin's Spirit Guide! (NEW sample pic pg. 4)

Man, you are TALENTED.

I am wondering (to myself) if seeing the images in brown, intead of black, will make a difference. Most of the OLD textbooks I have seen have dark brownish text on browning paper.

Re: Tobin's Spirit Guide! (NEW sample pic pg. 4)

If not brown, maybe it's that the black is so vivid, intact, and bold. Maybe if it was a bit splotchy?

I dunno, there is something about that bold black that is screaming fresh new book to me.

But A+ on the syle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back