Tobin's Spirit Guide! (RESEARCH SIGN-UP POST 364!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Tobin's Spirit Guide!

Wow, that one was published in 2009? I haven't read it yet. Wonder if he wrote anything before that or if it was just his interest in the supernatural that partially inspired the movie? In any event, it may have some good references. :D

I think the answer here is clear. Peter Aykroyd clearly has a time machine! :thumbsup

Seems I'm a bit late to the party, but protokev told me to throw my hat into the ring. I've got actual books on the subjects of Demons/Demonolgy, the Lovecraftian "Old Ones", and Fairy Tale Monsters, so... If you want, let me know!

Seems I'm a bit late to the party, but protokev told me to throw my hat into the ring. I've got actual books on the subjects of Demons/Demonolgy, the Lovecraftian "Old Ones", and Fairy Tale Monsters, so... If you want, let me know!

Would be thrilled to have your imput on any beings we should add that aren't already on the list! Info about them would be awesome too... :love

Spent about 20mins on a drawing to try and work out a style. The images are going to be B&W (as they should be for a book of that period) so this is my first go at one of the pics:

Djinn:

6542177259_334196eb6c_z.jpg

Thoughts?

Re: Tobin's Spirit Guide! (sample pic pg. 3)

That's way bigger than it'll be on the page BTW. Imagine this little terror at about 4"x3"

I think I'd need to see it in context. It looks good, but does it fit with the style. I wouldn't mind seeing some biology text like pictures as well where things are diagramed out if that makes any sense. I'm about to sleep now but I'll I've an example in the morning

I think you're referring to something like this no? :

1askull008.jpg

Could be done, but YIKES is that a hell of a lot of work. Look for a release date of 2040. :lol

I'm not sure the overly descriptive images are where to go as it is to be assumed that Tobin himself, while collecting these accounts, likely didn't actually see most of these phenomenon let alone closely examine them. I'm always open to other thoughts though. As I said, this was a quick 20min drawing.

For big entries there will be some full page artwork. Gozer, Vigo, Boogieman, etc...

This is just an idea, but I loved the layout of the pages in the Black Zodiac in 13 Ghosts. Not too much information and a great picture of each ghost, hell you could even throw them in there! lol j/k

tornprince1.jpg

But seriously, great idea on the book, I'll be watching this thread with interest!

It looks great O_B but ,personally, I imagine the images to be more of the old wood cutting / sketch variety. That image has a decidedly modern look to it.

I agree, it's a great picture of the Djinn, but to me it looks a little too modern - it looks like it's been done on a computer to me. Personally, I'd be going for hand-drawn pencil sketches similar to the other two examples posted.

I agree, it's a great picture of the Djinn, but to me it looks a little too modern - it looks like it's been done on a computer to me. Personally, I'd be going for hand-drawn pencil sketches similar to the other two examples posted.

Believe it or not it was hand drawn but ya, looking at it in retrospect it's too modern for the book. I think the engraving style would be most appropriate as this is supposed to be a scientific text. The pencil drawings are cool and I'm quite good at them but they are more suited to occult books like the Necronomicon or Rasputin's spellbook.

Now if only I was good at the engraving style!

Tonight I'll see if I can whip up another drawing. I'll keep making them until I find a style that works.

I think your sketch was pretty darn good, maybe a little dark. Could use less negative space more like a sketch but doesn't stand out as being odd for a book of this nature. Just my opinion though. :)

I think your sketch was pretty darn good, maybe a little dark. Could use less negative space more like a sketch but doesn't stand out as being odd for a book of this nature. Just my opinion though. :)

I went with dark because I thought it would be a bit more menacing :) But you're right, it's too "heavy" for the page.

I don't think anyone is saying that the drawing doesn't fit the subject, but rather that it doesn't fit the time period or overall style of the piece. I agree so I'll be working on it. Probably some line drawings with rougher shading.

Thanks! :thumbsup

I was looking around Deviant art and thought this was more like what I imagine a book that old would look like, so take a look and tell me what you guys think.
meroth on deviantART

I was looking around Deviant art and thought this was more like what I imagine a book that old would look like, so take a look and tell me what you guys think.
meroth on deviantART

Very cool artwork. I think the style is closer to what we want but needs to be formatted more like a scientific text book and less like an occult tome.

When I get a chance I'll be working on some pencil sketches. Might get something a little more organic that way. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back