Got my Logan BROWNCOAT today.

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all,

Just wanted to say I finally got my JA Logan Browncoat today and give a few details to those who may have some questions.

First impressions (I haven't even tried it on yet...)

It's DARK. Much darker than I thought it would be, which is nice. The color is very close to the DVD-covers.

It's also very simple. If you don't absolutely have to have a 100% pattern-cut Logan original, anyone with basic coat-sewing skills should be able to make one. I can't find ANY hard-to-do seams on it. There are no pockets and the lapels are really simplified- not nearly as complicated as in a suit jacket or trenchcoat. (Heck, I could do one in a few hours I reckon.) I was lucky to get the LAST of the "cheaper-suede-but-still-horribly-expensive" coats. Just so you all know... you are paying a LOT for the authenticity of the thing. If this were a "regular" jacket I wouldn't even pay a third of what it cost. But heck, I worked my butt off to be able to afford it, so I don't feel too guilty. ;)

The authentic clasps are there.... bigger than I thought they'd be, but there is one BIG thing that irritates me. They are STAMPED with JA Logan's logo, so it looks like I'll be going for my Dremel to get that out of there...

I'll see about getting some pics up soon.

<div class='quotetop'>(joatrash @ Sep 25 2006, 03:53 AM) [snapback]1325818[/snapback]</div>
The authentic clasps are there.... bigger than I thought they'd be, but there is one BIG thing that irritates me. They are STAMPED with JA Logan's logo, so it looks like I'll be going for my Dremel to get that out of there...
[/b]

Guess he wanted to distinguish his version from the Abbeyshot version?

Its more a case of him not wanting people to try and pass them off as originals. There's certainly no danger of it being mistaken for an abbyshot.

Joatrash is right though, it is a very very simple coat to make, and certainly has no frills, like lining or pockets etc, just like the original the edges are just turned over and glued in place.
I know of two other people (One being a good friend of mine) who were also told they had the last of the cheaper suede, so anyone wanting that could probably still get it if they asked Jonathan.
Wish I had waited a couple of months for that myself.

I've got to say though, after having seen the original coats a few times now and having had my J.Logan with the screen used original and taken many measurements from it, there are unfortunately a few difference between the pattern being used now and the screen used coat. Measurements of the side slits, cuff length & width are also incorrect as are the buckle spacings, but still a beautiful coat.

Sounds cool. Luckily, the browncoat isn't on my radar. The cut of that thing looks like it would only look good on someone tall and spindly, wheareas I am tall and burly.

In fact, the edges are not even turned over. Another strip of suede is laid flat against the coat on the inside an then they are just stitched and glued, leaving a "cut" and not folded edge.

Hmm... he specifically told me he had material left for only one more coat and that he was completely out of the least expensive suede... If that turns out to be a lie then I'm going to be mightily angry.

Also... if the current patterns are not the true Firefly patterns, I will not be very happy either- that was one of the reasons I paid $700 over making one myself for about a third of that cost. Now that you mention it... the sleeves and cuffs ARE a little thin. Could you please go into a little more detail about which parts do not match? (feel free to do it via PM if you don't want to do it here.) I'd really appreciate it.

Funny story: My coat was shipped to an aquaintance in L.A. to bring back to me in Sweden and the first time around, they send me the WRONG coat. Mine ended up at a Farrelly Brothers film production somewhere in the Carolinas and I got their coat instead. Luckily, it got cleared up at the last minute.

Oh, and Mechamaniac... the back and lower-back of the coat are pretty roomy, so it's my guess that someone burly can pull it off. It certainly isn't taken in at the sides like an Italian suit jacket.

/Joe F

<div class='quotetop'>(Guardian Devil @ Sep 25 2006, 02:47 PM) [snapback]1325883[/snapback]</div>
Its more a case of him not wanting people to try and pass them off as originals. There's certainly no danger of it being mistaken for an abbyshot.

Joatrash is right though, it is a very very simple coat to make, and certainly has no frills, like lining or pockets etc, just like the original the edges are just turned over and glued in place.
I know of two other people (One being a good friend of mine) who were also told they had the last of the cheaper suede, so anyone wanting that could probably still get it if they asked Jonathan.
Wish I had waited a couple of months for that myself.

I've got to say though, after having seen the original coats a few times now and having had my J.Logan with the screen used original and taken many measurements from it, there are unfortunately a few difference between the pattern being used now and the screen used coat. Measurements of the side slits, cuff length & width are also incorrect as are the buckle spacings, but still a beautiful coat.
[/b]

Ok, here are some more impressions. After trying it on and looking in the mirror, I found a couple of really glaring flaws.

First, there's a faily large stamp on the front of the coat that says "082" along with two stains from what looks like contact-cement (or other glue). Second, there are several bright "spots" on the right arm/shoulder that look almost like they've been bleached.

Now I did order the mid-grade quality suede, but it still cost a whopping $680. I was expecting some inconsistencies in the skin texture and such, but not obvious flaws. A coat that expensive should not have such glaring errors. I know it's not exactly the same, but if you walk into a "regular" leather shop and buy a (fully lined, pocketed) coat for $300 (or whatever), I'm fairly sure there won't be any errant numbers stamped into the front of it even if the leather is inferior.

I sent Mr. Logan an e-mail about it and he offered a refund (minus PP fees)... but I don't want to lose the coat or pay the large expense of shipping it back (I'm not in the US). I've suggested a discount along the lines of what is standard in regular clothing shops when garments are "flawed" so we'll see what he says. I'm thinking maybe I'll risk distressing the coat to try and hide the flaws. I also asked him about the differences in the patterns... but he didn't give me any real answer, just said there were three and that they were all weathered (which I already knew).

/Joe F

The Logan original screen-used coat is on the right. The Logan reproduction is on the left.

<div align="center">
mal_browncoats_compare_02.jpg
</div>

Phil

I must say thats very interesting to see, that logan reproduction is great, doesnt match mine unfortunately.

I'm probably being picky, but after seeing that original a few times, its hard not to be when spending that amount of money on it.

The cuffs on that one look the same as the original. Mine aren't very close. In fact the turn up on them is 7" which is huge. (and both are the same measurement) I was told this is the same as the hero original, but I know that it isnt having already had the measurements from it. My distance of 6.5" between the buckles is also incorrec.. as is the 13" length of the sideslits on my coat. All issues I raised at the time, but were shrugged off.

I'm getting all these things fixed by a proffessional. So it will be perfect in the end, still ..leaves a bitter taste to spend more on it :rolleyes

Ok... now I'm freakin' mad. Logan just replied to my e-mail, basically giving me the brush off by saying "I have no more time" and almost demanding that I send the coat back to him because there are "others waiting" to buy it. I'm really angry, because I have been polite and apologetic about taking up his time and have told him repeatedly how much I've wanted an "authentic" coat. Even after the blunder that got my coat sent to someone else which could have stopped me getting it for months (long story...) . He also evaded my questions about the pattern, simply saying something like "maybe I can get the coat weatherd and lit like on set", by which I didn't understand what he meant.

It felt like he was telling me to send back the coat at my expense (instead of giving me the option) and somehow insinuating that I'm not deserving of one of his coats since I had the audacity to complain.

What the...??? I'm disappointed, angry and completely floored by this development. I'm not kidding. There's a big ugly hole in my desk from where my chin just went right through it...

Oh, and thanks for the photo Phil. I'll get measurements from my coat and post them later.

<div class='quotetop'></div>
simply saying something like "maybe I can get the coat weatherd and lit like on set", by which I didn't understand what he meant.[/b]

Sounds like he using the old 'Everything looks different on TV' excuse.

In fact, the whole thing sounds like he is turning out inferior product 'cos he thinks fans won't know any better.

I think thats exactly it Birdie. The ones that Shauna sold via eBay are perfect. Even down to the two different cuffs and the weathering she added, but the ones that are only seen by Jonathan and the person he is selling to all seem to be slightly different. Quite disapointing.

<div class='quotetop'>(joatrash @ Sep 25 2006, 02:53 AM) [snapback]1325818[/snapback]</div>
Hey all,

Just wanted to say I finally got my JA Logan Browncoat today and give a few details to those who may have some questions.

First impressions (I haven't even tried it on yet...)

It's DARK. Much darker than I thought it would be, which is nice. The color is very close to the DVD-covers.

It's also very simple. If you don't absolutely have to have a 100% pattern-cut Logan original, anyone with basic coat-sewing skills should be able to make one. I can't find ANY hard-to-do seams on it. There are no pockets and the lapels are really simplified- not nearly as complicated as in a suit jacket or trenchcoat. (Heck, I could do one in a few hours I reckon.) I was lucky to get the LAST of the "cheaper-suede-but-still-horribly-expensive" coats. Just so you all know... you are paying a LOT for the authenticity of the thing. If this were a "regular" jacket I wouldn't even pay a third of what it cost. But heck, I worked my butt off to be able to afford it, so I don't feel too guilty. ;)

I'll see about getting some pics up soon.
[/b]

These coats are actually quite easy to make...matter of fact, I do. I made one for myself, discovered it was relatively easy and I could build them for a decent price...managed to sell a few, too.
I'd love to see pictures of the Logan one, though...
Tristan

-EDIT-
Joatrash, not trying to pimp my wares, but PM me if you are still interested in a Browncoat.

What get me most is the way I was treated afterward. I may not be Brad Pitt or Halle Berry, but I don't expect to be met with a "go away and be happy I let you buy one" attitude.

Tristan, thanks for the offer but I'll probably be keeping my coat with or without Mr. Logan's "blessing". (I sure ain't going to be out 150+ dollars to send it back when this wasn't my fault and I don't want to deal with the hassle.) The whole point of getting this was the authenticity. I was very close to making one myself... I couldn've done at least as good a job and it would've probably fit me better too. Oh well, I'm certainly glad the money for this came out of my selling some props and not my paycheck.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back