How to F'up a perfectly good styrene master.

Blad

Sr Member
Recently I seem to have to make two of everything as I keep FUBARing perfectly good sculpts.

I read the instructions on the clay I used to make the indented numbers on my Outland Marshall badge which said 'bake in an oven set to 130 Degrees C for 10 minutes per 6mm, I dutifully did this, carefully preheating our fan oven.

About a minute after putting the styrene and clay model in the oven I suddenly thought 'hang on a minute, styrene will probably melt at that temperature'.

And lo........ clay parts even had the audacity to fall off when I removed 'Mr. Wobbly' here.

out1.jpg

Attempt 2 which will be freaking air dried

out2.jpg

Why not just use this stuff, and not futz with an oven at all?

http://www.avesstudio.com/Products/Apoxie_...xie_sculpt.html

It's seriously the most amazing A/B putty EVER. Cleans with water (smooth the sculpt with water, too), smells nutty (like it would be delicious), is apparently non-toxic (but who wants to take a chance), dries ROCK hard with ZERO shrinkage (can be tapped, drilled, sanded to a glass-smooth finish)... it WILL replace all your old putties. I even sent some to Japan, for Kow Yokoyama to test drive.

That looks useful :)

I usually use Milliput for jobs like this, it was only today I decided to try out this new stuff :(

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back