Vader on budget,scratch build WIP, (PIC HEAVY)

Wow. Very impressive. I've been interested in Pep for a long time to build prop helmets just for my home office. I think I may give this a try.

WOOHOO! finally the undersuit and cape i had made are done! waiting on it to be delivered! hope it meets my expectations. shall post pics soon....now if only the Rubies helmet will arrive soon. i can start my Vader 2.0...lol

CRAP CRAP CRAP, the soft parts came and none of it were done according to my instructions. what a waste of time and money. to think the shop was highly recommended by the local cosplay community. and they have the gall to tell me that my instructions were not clear. :angryNOT CLEAR? NOT CLEAR??, i gave them links to websites ( 501st, sithtrainingtemple, vaderbuilder etc):facepalm guess i'll just pony up the extra cash and get these items stateside when i go there first quarter of next year....there goes my Halloween:cry:cry:cry...CRAP CRAP CRAP(n)thumbsdown

Last edited:
Bummer! What a great, inspiring build shame you're not going to be ready for Halloween.

Look forward to seeing you finish this for sure.

just saw the Rubies Supreme helmet at the toy store....it was.....well....not what i expected. moddin' it suddenly looks like a real daunting endeavor...plus they are charging too much for it ( i know its about 100$ approx 4,000 pesos but they are selling if for 6,900 pesos )...will probably just ask my sis to buy and send one from the U.S., or get it myself when i visit them by next year

Last edited:
Save your $$ no matter what advice you get. IMHO the Helmet is the first thing you spend on..because its a great display while you save an acquire the rest.

Great build, you did an awesome job! I can't wait to see it finished. I just have a few questions for you if you're not too busy. Did you end up using Resin at all on this? If not did you just use duct tape or plumbers putty on the inside of all the pieces or some on the outside too? On the shin piece it looks like you didn't use any hardener but you just put the Bondo right on the paper without strengthening it, how does that work? Do you think not using the Resin it will still last/hold up? I'm sorry that I'm asking so many questions but I'm new and I'm just looking for some alternative methods and what you're doing looks like something I'd like to try. Thanks!!!

Great build, you did an awesome job! I can't wait to see it finished. I just have a few questions for you if you're not too busy. Did you end up using Resin at all on this? If not did you just use duct tape or plumbers putty on the inside of all the pieces or some on the outside too? On the shin piece it looks like you didn't use any hardener but you just put the Bondo right on the paper without strengthening it, how does that work? Do you think not using the Resin it will still last/hold up? I'm sorry that I'm asking so many questions but I'm new and I'm just looking for some alternative methods and what you're doing looks like something I'd like to try. Thanks!!!

bro, i used duct tape only to strenghten the pep (on the inside part of the helmet,mask,armor,bells and shin), bondo on the dome part of the helmet, plumbers putty (on the outside only)on the mask, oh and additional pieces of cardstock in odd shapes to the inside along with duct tape no resin anywhere. the poor quality of the soft parts i had made and the actual look and condition of the rubies helm/mask has caused me to put this build on hold. will resume probably when i get the rubies stateside. hope this helps, feel free to message me for any other queries. cheers

Great scratch build! For the soft parts, take some nylon or pleather , have someone sew the lines into it, then cut and sew/glue it to an old long sleve T-shirt and sweat pants..you hardly see the undersuit between all the costume pieces and cape.

I'd maybe spray the mask and armor with a more metalic paint (Like a Dupli-Color wheel paint) rather than the grey you have now..I think it would really make it look amazing..

Keep up the great work!

This is an awesome Budget Vader!! Couldn't believe first... :love
I like that kind of approach to do something quasi out of nearly nothing, especially when the outcome is this impressive!
Have currently a Hi-End Vader on the workbench and try to make as much myself too. It's so much more fun than just buying finished stuff.
Good luck with the Rubies! I have a half finished mod of this pot (intended for stunt purposes) and the more I'm working on, the more things I like to correct... :D But the learning-effect regarding character details couldn't be better!

I love this thread ... how did I miss this ... bump for those members that are on budget too ... or have wifes with rolling pin and their pants on :lol ... and yet still are crafty to follow these great instructions to recreate their favourite SW character :)

Chaïm

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back