Han Solo ANH Hero Blaster Flash Hider *FOUND*

amish

Sr Member
Truly a great day as Flash Hider for the ANH "Hero" blaster Han used has been identified. Many people worked very hard on identifying this and everyone's effort has paid off. Many thanks to Darth Lars for finding the exact part on the MG81 :)

Please read entire thread as the search and work that was put into it by all the members deserves to be recognized.

Also, someone will be doing a run on this using accurate parts ;-) Please stay tuned for details as they arrive.

This pic was pulled from Darth Lars post on Page 10.
post-2829-1127721770.jpg

Please don't PM me regarding producing a run - one of the members here may be starting an interest thread soon in the Junkyard, so bookmark this thread and keep checking back.

Edit: This thread was originally about finding out who made a reliable replica of the original Flash Hider. It has however taken turn for the better by having people looking for the actual "found" piece used in the movie. Some great information is being posted, thanks to all that participate. Gabe aka Prop Runner has made some excellent 3D renderings that are found on page 5 which shows a highly accurate piece.

Still, the origins of the actual "found" item is elduing us. Though there is much reason to believe that this was a Flash Hider/Suppressor from a WWII or WWI gun. Please read on to learn more.

Hello all,

Hopefully a simple question :) Who makes or has made the most accurate flash hider for the ANH Hero that Solo uses?

I know of the blast-tech one and the Bobadebt one, but what is most accurate, and is there other ones out there that are more accurate?

Thanks to all that respond.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think anybody has. At least not in any large numbers. A few people did customise their own.

I'm still waiting for an accurate one.

Originally posted by amish@Sep 20 2005, 09:02 PM
Hello all,

Hopefully a simple question :)  Who makes or has made the most accurate flash hider for the ANH Hero that Solo uses?

I know of the blast-tech one and the Bobadebt one, but what is most accurate, and is there other ones out there that are more accurate?

Thanks to all that respond.

Tom
[snapback]1080503[/snapback]​

isnt part of the problem the lack of a usable found item? I believe LP has a pic on his website but it looks rather corroded to be of much use I would think.

Sounds like a found object thread fellas....whatchya think? ;)

I'm not sure of I have the name right because it was before my time at the RPF.

I 'think' the BD MKIV (or was it a Mark Worley?) could work with some modifications. Namely the removal and scrapping of the crappy attached bull barrel and boring out the back of the flash hider to make the hole bigger.

Originally posted by amish@Sep 20 2005, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the input, so what would you all consider the most accurate replica?
[snapback]1080527[/snapback]​

Thanks guys :)

I will have to look around for what I can find out about that....

What about from the known replicas, is there anyone that is more accurate than the other? Something that is available and a little easier to find.

I already own a Blast-Tech flash hider and a Boba Debt version, but I am unsure which is the most accurate and if there is something more accurate out there that is easily available.

Thanks.

I thought it was discovered to have been a nozzle from some sort of fire extinguisher? Has that theory been disproven?

Yes, it was a nozzle from a fire extinguisher - held the only example out there in my hands about five years ago. Jeff Ritzmann found it - and it's made of incredibly crappy metal, which is why you probably don't see any surviving examples.

Markus - I think that's Jason's latest Xacto wound.

I still need a flash hider for my MerrSonn, but there really aren't any great available replicas. BD hasn't made them in years. The BlastTech one isn't bad but the part that bugs me most about it is the U-shaped details on the back. They should be curved inward, but the BT just has them as flat milled shapes. The BT set screw holes aren't aligned right either.

Originally posted by amish@Sep 20 2005, 11:04 PM
Is the BD more accurate over the Blast-tech?
[snapback]1080568[/snapback]​

Dean O made a really nice one machined from aluminum. I have one of those on mine. He hasn't made any of those in a year or so though.

Jason

though I can understand some basic shape and detail similiarities, why is it believed this thing was definately a fire extinguisher? Have any photos of originals surfaced? What vintge, era?

d

That doesn't look like my BD. My BD has scalloped U-channels in the back, not flat milled ones. It is also cut in the back for the bull barrel. That only has one inner circumference for the barrel. Looks more like the blast-tech to me.

Well, he says that he literally plucked it from an early '70s fire extinguisher (lol) and I held it/studied it against my (at the time) Han Hero prop, which was a Mark W/Boba Debt hybrid - and it was pretty much bang on - same size/shape (though the real one was a little deformed and corroded to hell, you could tell it was the same). The fan version was far superior in fit and finish, but we know that's almost always the case with ANH-era props versus replicas.

http://www.partsofsw.com/dl44sw.htm

I have a hard time believing there's a completely unrelated yet identical piece of gear floating around out there, but that's the beauty of not knowing a prop exactly - you can believe whatever you choose to believe.

For me, if it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, it's a goram duck.

I remember hearing for years that it was a nozzle from a fire extinguisher and I recall the pic that floated around here of the found part that Jason, must have held in his hand. However....

The owner of the original ANH Solo Blaster informed me that the tip was not from an extinguisher but is in fact the flash hider from a WW2 aircraft gun...

As Jason says... believe what you will... until the part is found.

Barry

Originally posted by wuher da brewer@Sep 20 2005, 07:40 PM
That doesn't look like my BD.  My BD has scalloped U-channels in the back, not flat milled ones.  It is also cut in the back for the bull barrel.  That only has one inner circumference for the barrel.  Looks more like the blast-tech to me.
[snapback]1080583[/snapback]​

Im certain it's not a blast-tech as I have one of them as part of another blaster I own.

Makes me want to say hmmmmmm....

Heya Barry.

Yeah, I can only go by what Jeff said... but whereever it came from, it WAS a Han ANH muzzle :)

So is it Joiner that has the original gun? Will he EVER show his goodies?

That hider is a VERY early BD one...when he had some plans made up of his own. Once "Active Projects" really were abundant and this part was studied and blueprinted to death the level of accuracy came WAY up to his last version which is the most abundant.

Steve

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back