Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project **12/22/15**

Luuke

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Update 12/22/15: Time goes by waaaaaaaaaay too quickly. I've been so wrapped up in so many other things, however, I've been looking at getting back into this project. It's been sitting quietly and patiently on the shelf. But now that I've got access to a more reliable shop. I can start to get back into this. My original intention is to have the handles machined in aluminum so it would give the handle/grip area more appropriate strength. I'll be sending those over to the shop for an estimate soon. If I can get a decent price from them, then I'll start firing this project back up.

Update 4/21/2013: Hey all. I know it's been a while since I've updated anything on this project. I've had a ton of things going on including my new podcast. But I'm now back on track and moving forward.

Last year I purchased a Mini Kyle Rayner Battery prop:
glkr00.jpg

Well I have the other batteries and they are all 1:1 except the Rayner battery. I thought this was kida odd they didn't make a 1:1 battery.
glkr01.jpg

So now I want to do a 1:1 scale version of the Rayner battery. I need to decide just how much bigger I'm going to scale it up. I thought it would be best to do a photoshop comparrision first. So up above is the mini battery next to the Scott and Jordan. Below, I scaled the Rayner battery to what looks good to me.

glkr02.jpg

I took the mini battery and created a scale drawing of it and then scaled it to about the size of the one in the photoshopped image using the other batteries as reference and scaled it up about 135%.
glkr03.jpg

Starting tomorrow I'm going to start building the full sized 1:1 replica of this battery. I'm gonna get some stuff laser cut in acrylic and alot of this will have to be done by hand. Ultimately I want to then take a mold and do a hollow cast so I can install lights. I'll probably cast a metal base in the handle for stregnth.

I'll see if I can get some video going on this and post it up on youtube.

:thumbsup

Last edited:
Re: 1:1 Scale Kyle Rayner Green Lantern Battery Project

Always was a fan of the strangely-shaped Rayner lantern, so I'll be keeping an eye on this project! Looks like it's off to a great start!

Thanks for the support. I'm working on the acrylic patterns today. I'm also trying to decide the best way to to the metal handle. I was thinking of making it out of an acrylic rod and casting it in metal. Then put that into the mold and cast it directly in the body of the prop.

I'm still working on the laser cut files. I'm designing the pieces so they will interlock taking the guesswork out of lining things up. A little bit of extra time will go a long long way.

The laser cut files are done and sent off to get cut. I usually get stuff in a week or less and I'll start assembly and fabrication.

Laser cut acrylic pices have been ordered.

Re: 1:1 Scale Kyle Rayner Green Lantern Battery Project (Update 12/5)

I got some of the laser cut pieces today. A couple of them are missing but should be on their way soon. Then I'm going to start assembling and finishing work.
glkr04.jpg

Re: 1:1 Scale Kyle Rayner Green Lantern Battery Project (Update 12/8 Part Pics Posted

Ok, got the replacement and missing parts in today. YAY!!!!
I've just temporarily assembled them to show how this is shaping up. What do ya think?
glkr05.jpg

glkr06.jpg

glkr07.jpg

glkr08.jpg

glkr09.jpg

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project Update 12/10 Foam Filling - Pics Posted

Ok, yesterday I did my foam filling. The goal here is to take up the majority of the space so when I cover the exposed areas I'm not using a ton of bondo.

First I took down the edge of the undercut so I could get as straight of a line as possible with everything that has a cone shape:
glkr10.jpg

glkr11.jpg

Then I started acrylic welding everything together:
glkr12.jpg

glkr13.jpg

glkr15.jpg

glkr16.jpg

glkr17.jpg

glkr18.jpg

I used standard floral foam from Michaels. Just trace cut and shape:
glkr19.jpg

glkr20.jpg

Then using a smaller putty knife I trimmed at least a 1/4" from all the edges and surfaces for where the bondo will fill in.
glkr21.jpg

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project Update 12/12 BONDO FILLING - Pics Poste

Well right now it's all about bondo, bondo and more bondo. This is probably going to take two or three more days because it's best to do this in small batches. Here's a sample of what I have so far:
glkr22.jpg

glkr23.jpg

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project Update 12/12 BONDO FILLING - Pics Poste

I really, really, really hate to say this but I think it is tad bit too small.

I really, really, really hate to say this but I think it is tad bit too small.

I thought the same thing too at first. It only seems like that when you don't see it with the handle attached. Once the handle is on it, it will look much bigger.

Here's more smoothing out the bondo layers:
glkr24.jpg

I thought the same thing too at first. It only seems like that when you don't see it with the handle attached. Once the handle is on it, it will look much bigger.

Here's more smoothing out the bondo layers:
glkr24.jpg
Holy cow, and I thought I was using a lot of that foam.
What did you use on the bondo? I can see the long tool marks. Some sort of saw?

Holy cow, and I thought I was using a lot of that foam.
What did you use on the bondo? I can see the long tool marks. Some sort of saw?

Actually I used a wide scraper to shape the sides with bondo. The bondo surface is still rough. I still have yet to sand and touch up with spot putty. it will be totally smooth when I get done with it.

I might stop by my machine shop today and talk about getting the handle inserts made from aluminum or steel rod.

Great work already. Love the original lamp design allot. A childhood reminder. Thumbs up

looking good.

I love how nice and tight laser cut plastic parts look.

Nick

Never really a fan of Kyle's battery, but you do it proud! :)

Re: Green Lantern Kyle Rayner Battery Project Update 12/15 BONDO FILLING - Pics Poste

Thanks guys. Laser cutting acrylic is very nice to work with. Especially if you plan ahead and have parts cut so they interlock. That way everything stays nice and square. Takes the guess work out of it.

Here's a few more pics on progress. The base is basically done. It's all shaped up and I need to hit it with some primer:
glkr25.jpg

glkr26.jpg

Here are some shots of the backside. The inside of this piece is conical shaped, so I bondo-filled it and there is a layer of spot putty I have yet to sand smooth:
glkr27.jpg

glkr28.jpg

MORE TO COME!

:)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back