Christmas Story Leg Lamp "Conversion"

PattyChuck

I've had, for several years now, a 45" Leg Lamp replica from 'A Christmas Story'. My wife, who thinks it a funny novelty, allows me to display it in the house year-round, but we move it "right into the front room window" during the holidays.

Here's my question... the Leg Lamp falls short in one key area when compared to the movie prop, and that is that when the leg light is on, it does not illuminate the entire leg, like it does in the movie. The leg light is a tiny night-light bulb, and therefore only illuminates the upper part of the leg. I'm curious to know if anyone has ever converted their leg lamp for full illumination, or if anyone might have a suggestion on how to go about doing that.

Thanks!!

I would think just rewiring it to run a strip of clear x-mas bulbs, maybe in a paper tube to diffuse "hot spots" of light, would get the job done.

It would be interesting to experiment with making it screen accurate. The screen used one is VERY consistent. I wonder how they were able to do it.

Mine
DSC_1049%20(Large).JPG

vs screen shot.

tumblr_kutwomCOmL1qztsdco1_500.jpg

Thanks for the screen shots. I searched and searched and couldn't find the right one (googling "leg lamp" does not return the desired results!). But yes, the evenly-distributed light is the look I'm going for. I've tried rope lighting, which does create some "hot spots" but never diffused in a paper tube... interesting idea!

It would be interesting to experiment with making it screen accurate. The screen used one is VERY consistent. I wonder how they were able to do it.

Mine
DSC_1049%20(Large).JPG

vs screen shot.

tumblr_kutwomCOmL1qztsdco1_500.jpg

"Fra-gee-lay. That must be Italian"

"It's a Major Award!"

"With as much dignity as he could muster, the Old Man gathered up the sad remains of his shattered Major Award. Later that night, alone in the backyard, he buried it next to the garage. Now I could never be sure, but I thought that I heard the sound of "Taps" being played. Gently".

LOVE, love, love that film(y)lol

"Fra-gee-lay. That must be Italian"

"It's a Major Award!"

"With as much dignity as he could muster, the Old Man gathered up the sad remains of his shattered Major Award. Later that night, alone in the backyard, he buried it next to the garage. Now I could never be sure, but I thought that I heard the sound of "Taps" being played. Gently".

LOVE, love, love that film(y)lol
Only the best movie of all time.

I'd guess fluorescent. Never thought about it before.

There's something in the heel of the lamp. Maybe the bottom plug of the fluorescent.

I am about to order the 50" deluxe version.

Will post pics when it arrives. I hope the deluxe will light up like the movie one.

I just got the ok from my wife for this!

I have been wanting one since I first saw it.

The Christmasstoryhouse.com sells the deluxe for the same price most charge for the 40" neca one.

Weeeeeeeee

Check out to see if you can use any of these coupons to save a little
A Christmas Story House Coupons, RedRiderLegLamp Coupon Codes and A Christmas Story House Promotional Codes - CouponSnapshot

I am about to order the 50" deluxe with wooden crate.

Will post pics when it arrives. I hope the deluxe will light up like the movie one.

The Christmasstoryhouse.com sells the deluxe for the same price most charge for the 40" neca one. And this one comes with a wooden shipping crate!

Weeeeeeeee

Thanks for the screen shots. I searched and searched and couldn't find the right one (googling "leg lamp" does not return the desired results!). But yes, the evenly-distributed light is the look I'm going for. I've tried rope lighting, which does create some "hot spots" but never diffused in a paper tube... interesting idea!

I'm just taking a stab in the dark here, but it seems to me like the film version has a second light at the top that faces downward right at the top (under the shade), which is why you're not seeing a hot spot.

I'm getting one of these before Christmas, and I'm going to make sure the leg lights properly too.

I am about to order the 50" deluxe version.

The Christmasstoryhouse.com sells the deluxe for the same price most charge for the 40" neca one.

Weeeeeeeee
Mine is the 50" deluxe. It does NOT lite like the movie one.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back