Star Trek Into Darkness (Pre-release)

My take on the villain in the new Trek film.

I'm not one of those "No Khan! Make a new villain!" trek fans. I knew walking in to Trek09 that clamoring for a new story instead of a retelling of something from TOS was just kind of pointless. It's Kirk and crew! We've already lost the "new" take. So having Khan be the villain doesn't really bother me in the slightest. He might actually work! What I am concerned about is how they'll portrayal Khan in the end. Here's what I'm hoping they won't do.

- Khan is a bona fide bad guy.
He wasn't. He was just someone who wanted to get away from those who said he couldn't rule. Even when he ruled a quarter of Earth in the 90s, there were no massacres under his rule and no war until outside forces attacked him.

- Khan is killed
If this alternate reality wants to paint itself as something where anything can be different, my first thought would be to not kill Khan. Why should Khan end up being the bad guy that Kirk and crew must defeat? Why not have Khan be a potential ally? Gah, it's just.. I don't know. I always saw the original Khan as a tragic character who could have brought something unique to the galaxy had that bloody planet not blown up.

- Khan wants to conquer/destroy Earth
This is the big one. One of my complaints towards Trek09 was that it put Earth in the center stage as the planet that must be saved no matter the circumstances. I never liked stories that revolved around saving present day Earth, because it should be for all intents and purposes impossible, and pointless. This is the United Federation of Planets. Humanity has more allies and more at their disposal than their own ships. And the other obvious reason I don't like "Earth is in danger!" stories is that it doesn't do anything. If the mission is "To boldly go where no one has gone before", why do we always keep coming back? And if Khan does want to retake Earth, I fear it will be grossly out of character. He did not want to rule on Earth after his nation fell so he decided to venture out into space to find another world, only to have that interrupted by the Enterprise. Even when he seized command of the Enterprise, he still didn't want Earth. Even when he had the Genesis device, he never once talked about taking Earth back or destroying it. Since this film has JJ "I love all things Earth, let's throw in a scene with a hotrod, Nokia and rap songs!" Abrams, I think that's what the film will boil down to. Another freaking "Earth is in Danger!" story line.

But now Khan is a skinny pasty white guy?! I was hoping for Bat Manuele. So, I guess The Klingons are going to find the Botany Bay now, or maybe Spock Prime goes about changing some history.

I hope this guy can pull Khan off.

Nice to see JJ pushing the envelope.

bonesandsulu.gif

Not sure if serious. Are you kidding?! If not....
:lol

JJ and his crew going this route doesn't surprise me in the least.

JJ Abrams is the kind of person who wants to create his own thing. The last thing I think he wants is to be remembered as the guy who did the new Star Trek movies. Just look at his TV resume and tell me this guy would prefer doing his own thing rather than sticking with someone else's work.

And aren't his buddies Alex and Bob just shining examples of Hollywood inginuity with their announced "reboot" projects of Van Helsing and the Mummy for universal and writing the next Amazing Spiderman movie? These guys couldn't do their own thing even if they wanted to.

Trek09 was made for the mass audiences who carry that misleading assumption of what Star Trek is. Kirk is an unprofessional a**hole who sleeps with the green girl, all McCoy does is shout, everyone always gives their one-liners, Logic equals blind prejudice, and Earth is the only planet that matters. I have my doubts this film will be any different. Maybe I'll be wrong, but we're still don't have a new "new" Trek yet.

...JJ Abrams is the kind of person who wants to create his own thing. The last thing I think he wants is to be remembered as the guy who did the new Star Trek movies...
Then he should have turned it down. Go do your own thing JJ, and leave our thing to someone who will respect it.

At least with JJ Abram's Super Action Trek 2009 they had a somewhat original story but it didn't take them long to dig into Trek past to find material to recycle.

It's kind of what I expected. The first movie was just a setup to reset the characters back to the time of TOS. Now they can just coast and remake whatever they think will draw the most old fans into the theater while using the faster pace and more action to attract the younger audience.

On the plus side just think of all the pipes in the engineering section that Kirk can beat Khan with.

Last edited:
Cant wait for it, hated all the remakes on tv , and hated piccard , star trek is shatner/nimoy. Not make it so! Didnt expect much with jjs but was blown away it was great, if he doesnt screw up he has another blockbuster ,cant wait to see it!

Or maybe it's NOT Khan....

How Simon Pegg became a big fish - Telegraph
This time, Pegg isn’t the only Brit in the world of Starfleet. Benedict Cumberbatch has been cast as a villain. Pegg is full of praise for Cumberbatch’s baddy, whom he describes

as “not just another disgruntled alien. It’s a really interesting… sort of… thing,” he squirms. “Obviously I can’t talk about it.” Given internet rumours that Cumberbatch has been cast as Kirk and Spock nemesis Khan, will this be a very different “wrath of Khan” from the 1982 film of the same name? “It’s not Khan,” replies Pegg, annoyed. “That’s a myth. Everyone’s saying it is, but it’s not.”

Is that misinformation from the famously secretive Abrams camp? “No, I think people just want to have a scoop. It annoys me – it’s beyond the point to just ferret around for spoilers all the time to try to be the first to break them,” says Pegg, a fanboy’s fanboy who wrote an autobiography called Nerd Do Well and who seems to have forgotten that part of the thrill of being a comic book/film/sci-fi fan is about getting as many details as possible in advance. “It just spoils the film,” he complains. “It masquerades as interest in the movie but really it’s just nosiness and impatience. You just want to say, ‘Oh f--- off! Wait for the film!’”

They should be TOS Klingons, because of Enterprise which is still canon in the JJ-verse. In deleted JJ-Trek scenes the shown Klingons had helmets with ridges on them to skirt the issue. However, the Klingon actors had makeup and prosthetics akin to TNG Klingon design on under the helmets.

Damon: "you walked through the Enterprise and it’s a very insular experience of like,‘Wow I’m actually on a starcraft.’"

Correction. Starcraft is a national sport in South Korea, not a word to describe a space worthy ship. On that note, the appropriate term for the Enterprise is STARship. It's used to describe a space worthy vessel capable of moving faster than light and achieving intergalactic travel. But I guess I shouldn't be to hard on Damon. Even Star Trek itself had to go through a whole pilot before they got that one right.

Only just watched the reboot and thought it pretty entertaining - certainly a well needed shot in the arm for Trek.

About the only thing I could see to improve the sets is a new engineering deck as the brewery location needs to go.

This is the one thing that baffled me - it kind of took me back to Blake's 7 days when an obviously contemporary industrial site/interior was supposed to represent something much more advanced. Strange art decision for sure.

Welp, looks like Khan is not the villain -

How Simon Pegg became a big fish - Telegraph

Simon Pegg -
“Obviously I can’t talk about it.” Given internet rumours that Cumberbatch has been cast as Kirk and Spock nemesis Khan, will this be a very different “wrath of Khan” from the 1982 film of the same name? “It’s not Khan,” replies Pegg, annoyed. “That’s a myth. Everyone’s saying it is, but it’s not.”

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back