Star Trek Into Darkness (Pre-release)

So...the prevailing panic theory at the moment is this is going to be a crazy quilt mix up of WNMHGB, Space Seed, Spock's Brain, Wrath of Kahn, City of Death and Empire Strikes Back. Got it. I'll get more popcorn.

Well, I feel out-geeked, how about you?

I always wondered where he was in Trek09 since he was there before Pike. A part of me felt like they were honoring Roddenberry's wishes to completely disregard anything Star Trek that's not the original TV series or the movies, but than they had Spock's childhood and being bullied by other Vulcans so maybe not? The more I think about it, the more I wish they went with Benedict as the lead in the last movie as this character and not Kirk.

If anyone is curious as to who we're speaking of, I'll put this part in a spoiler...
Benedict may be playing Robert April, the first Captain of the USS Enterprise from the original timeline. What makes this a possibility now is that Robert April from his depiction in the animated series was English and was a member of Starfleet. He also had a wife who served with him during their time on the Enterprise, so the extra 'family' bit wouldn't be much of a stretch.

The canon issue stems from Gene's dissatisfaction with the animated series (I on the other hand loved it) which featured Robert April and declared anything that's not a live action production such as movies and TV shows never happens in Star Trek. I've always hated that rule because no one should pay for stuff that doesn't matter.

You know, it got me thinking.

Robert April was always depicted as being a pretty cool guy. He dedicated 20 years of his life being an Ambassador to the Federation and willingly accepted his old age rather than having the option of being young again (I would have chosen the latter!). For a man this selfless, I can't see how he could possibly want revenge against the entire Federation. Death of his wife? No, because that was DONE IN THE LAST FILM!

Which leads me to one possible conclusion. This is Mirror Robert April.

First off I don't see the need for spoiler tags as it is still pure speculation on everyone's part... (the article's author didn't say he knew who the villain is, but who he believed it might be). This is no different than any of "us" making educated guesses. They are still just guesses.

Having said that- the Uber geek author of that article believes that audiences will go "HUH?" when the hear the name Gary Mitchell, but Captain Robert April makes more sense?

Did I read that right? Because if so... :lol

Kevin

I think Drew's theory is stretching things JUST a bit.

Sounds to me like whomever this guy is, after the film he will likely just drift into mediocrity like most every other big villain baddie that has come after Khan. I really don't think it is Mitchell because "what does 'god' need with a starship" and Khan doesn't make much sense either based on available evidence. The Garth of Izar theory actually does make a bit of sense and who knows, if it is Garth, he could have assumed the identity of this other guy long enough to blow up the fleet and declare himself master and commander of Earth.

It still doesn't explain the goofy gun arm though or turning starships into submarines.

So...the prevailing panic theory at the moment is this is going to be a crazy quilt mix up of WNMHGB, Space Seed, Spock's Brain, Wrath of Kahn, City of Death and Empire Strikes Back. Got it. I'll get more popcorn.

:lol If this is true, then JJ really screwed the pooch. Talk about unoriginal!

I figgered it out.

The villain is none other than.....Ra's Al Ghul's son

That means Peter Weller is playing Batman who is still alive after all this time due to Waynetech medical suppliments, an exercise routine he was tought in Tibet and sheer willpower because there is still evil in Gotham that must be fought. The haven't shown him yet because they don't want to reveal the cool makeup and prostethic job they did on him to make him look like a 300 year old Christian Bale. :cool:thumbsup

Excellent commentary!

His feeling about NuTrek leaning more toward Fantasy instead of SciFi has always been one of my biggest concerns also. Do they not realize that the greatest appeal of Trek has always been the possible science of it? It just scares me to think that it may be reducing down to simplistic vengeful monster-types, spectacular explosions and a knuckle-draggers view of space exploration.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back