Star Trek Into Darkness (Pre-release)

interesting to be sure... here is something else that echoes The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.... or the one.

382043_4964570360323_791709467_n.jpg

hmmmmmm

Ok, I'm going to throw my own theory as to who Benedict Cumberbatch might be playing.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Maybe something happened to Khan on the Botany Bay that resulted in his death. His stasis chamber in Space Seed did have a fatal flaw that would have killed him if Kirk didn't do something. Maybe whoever tried waking him up didn't know what to do. Yaukim, devastated that he and Khan's other followers have been robbed of a chance at starting their own empire, decides to take revenge on the world that rejected them.

Kind of a lackluster motive for revenge, I know. But it's a lot better than Nero's motivation by a landslide.

I'm still at a loss for WHY everyone thinks Kahn will be the bad guy. The only thing the last film has in common with TMP is there's a new Enterprise that Kirk isn't in command of at the start of the film. Kahn being the bad guy because this is the second film and he was the bad guy of the second Shatner film is flimsy logic. Do you all assume that Spock will die in this one, the next will feature resurrecting him, and the one after will feature time travel to pinch some whales?

I'm still at a loss for WHY everyone thinks Kahn will be the bad guy. The only thing the last film has in common with TMP is there's a new Enterprise that Kirk isn't in command of at the start of the film. Kahn being the bad guy because this is the second film and he was the bad guy of the second Shatner film is flimsy logic. Do you all assume that Spock will die in this one, the next will feature resurrecting him, and the one after will feature time travel to pinch some whales?

Its all a guessing game... maybe its Kubla Khan! :D
I am still hoping for some Klingons... kinda miss those guys. :cry The war with the klingons would be more fun than some dude wants to blow up the federation because he is pissed about something. already did that in the last film.

You mean like space dust from a nebula is adequate to create a successful Genesis planet?

Genesis creates living planets out of dead matter. The nebula is dead matter left behind after a star explodes. Mutara was a star system with planets, Genesis just reconstituted it. That's what it's made to do.

As for the sun in the cave, I thought is was the Regula sun shining through from outside?
Its all a guessing game... maybe its Kubla Khan! :D
Maybe it's Chaka Khan. Or Sammy Kahn.

In WoK, khan was jettisoned (or whatever) by kirk and the enterprise crew on TOS, the wrath was some 20+ years later. Seeing that this is the 2nd new flick and they're starting even before TOS started, why would khan have any desire for revenge on kirk or earth at this point?

Seeing as everything is supposed to be different from the point of kirk taking command, why go with any villain with a tie to TOS? Who's to say they'd still be villains. Not to mention your target audience (18-30) won't have a clue about TOS anyhow. Hell, they probably barely know the previous movies.

Killing spock would be kinda pointless. People who've only seen the new stuff because in the first one, spock was a grade a jerk. The point of new alternate timeline should, you know, be new stories. Why tie yourself to something old after taking great pains to break free yourself from the previous history in the first place?

With only one JJ Trek movie so far there is really no deep emotional connection to anyone or anything. I know I wouldn't give a rats ass if they killed any of the characters of blew the Enterprise into a million tiny bits.

Trek 2 is probably going to be no different than any other summer movie. It will introduce the villain, quickly explain his motivation for being a Richardhead, and then the Enterprise crew will battle him for whatever is at a stake. It will probably be entertaining in a big action movie kind of way but have no lasting impact.

None of this will have the emotional impact that the original series or movies had on fans of TOS.

Last edited:
In WoK, khan was jettisoned (or whatever) by kirk and the enterprise crew on TOS, the wrath was some 20+ years later. Seeing that this is the 2nd new flick and they're starting even before TOS started, why would khan have any desire for revenge on kirk or earth at this point?

Seeing as everything is supposed to be different from the point of kirk taking command, why go with any villain with a tie to TOS? Who's to say they'd still be villains. Not to mention your target audience (18-30) won't have a clue about TOS anyhow. Hell, they probably barely know the previous movies.

Killing spock would be kinda pointless. People who've only seen the new stuff because in the first one, spock was a grade a jerk. The point of new alternate timeline should, you know, be new stories. Why tie yourself to something old after taking great pains to break free yourself from the previous history in the first place?

Exactly!

my guess is what is being released visually (with no explanation) is to do exactly what it is doing here... allowing the fans to speculate and talk it up to create a buzz. there will be small easter egg type nods to the original series and movies that are esoteric "winks" to those that will get it but in the end its all out of context and will not relate to any prior films or be retellings of Space Seed or any other Khan story as it were. I am sure we will get a new story altogether.

382043_4964570360323_791709467_n.jpg

Spocks_death_1.jpg

Last edited:
Sometimes one drop can consume an entire galaxy enveloping Super Nova that has already destroyed a couple of solar system, sometimes one drop will consume just a single planet, and sometimes a whole wrecking ball amount will destroy only.... something about 1/6 the size of Texas? Sometimes ships can travel through time and reality with it without so much as a scratch, other times it will completely destroy any ship that gets close to it.

There you go - see? A whole bushel of ideas right there. :)

lol. With that kind of logic, we can't say Geordi LaForge is black unless the series says he is.

He's got a point though. It's not quite the one he was making but related - the device can form a sun inside a cave, and condense enough material out of a nebula (at faster-than-light speeds, no less) to form a planet, but can't create a sun for that planet? Gonna get chilly pretty quick.

And the whole thing's unstable...but not Spock? Doctor Who used the same concept a few years ago and it worked fine, but then again Doctor Who has a long tradition of being silly kid's entertainment. In '82 I was a clueless, stupid kid, but I was still conscious of the decline between ST:TMP and ST:WOK. That franchise went from grand conceptual SF to Saturday matinee hokum in one movie.

You give Old Trek a pass on the most ridiculous nonsense, and won't extend the same lenience to Nu Trek...just because you don't like it. No real need to justify it more than that, IMO.

And the whole thing's unstable...but not Spock?
You have seen the film, yes? Growing from dead cells to full adult in a matter of days isn't considered "unstable" to you? It was mentioned right in the film.. he was going to continue growing like that until he died (the next day, at the rate he was going), until they got him away from the effects of the device.

That's all that was wrong with the planet, really. Not "unstable" so much as not able to keep up with the rapid aging. Rock didn't adapt as well as flesh.

The device was never meant to create a planet from scratch, it was supposed to run on an already-existing planet. The life on the planet would be the only thing the device affected, not the planet itself.

That's my take on it, anyway. I thought we were past complaints that movies didn't spell out every last detail in plain English for the stupid audience? It's nice to have films that leave some questions up to the viewer to answer.

The device was never meant to create a planet from scratch, it was supposed to run on an already-existing planet. The life on the planet would be the only thing the device affected, not the planet itself.

That's my take on it, anyway. I thought we were past complaints that movies didn't spell out every last detail in plain English for the stupid audience? It's nice to have films that leave some questions up to the viewer to answer.

That's mine too and Carol Marcus said about as much in the Project Genesis video, stage 3 was to take place on a lifeless planet(oid) or moon and the video showed the Genesis device on just such and astronomical body. Truth be told, it probably wasn't supposed to do that originally but added it in at the end as an out for killing Spock. Have Genesis create a planet for Spock's "coffin" to land on so they have somewhere to go to in ST III when they go searching for Spock.

You give Old Trek a pass on the most ridiculous nonsense, and won't extend the same lenience to Nu Trek...just because you don't like it. No real need to justify it more than that, IMO.

So true. The internet seems to have turned into a culture of hemorrhoidal complaint. Whatever happened to holding your tongue if you didn't have anything nice to say?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back