Star Trek Into Darkness (Pre-release)

Whoever he is, he's a threat from 'within their own ranks', so Garth looks like a possibility.

It just looks like they're conforming to the 'norm' by being all dark, gritty and action packed.

Yeah, really hate these new Trek movies for all that 'being exciting' stuff. Don't they realise that excitement is uncanonical for Trek?

Where's the sitting around in a cabin playing chess while discussing abstruse philosophy? Where's that elegant ship-to-ship combat, with each side trading shots at approximately one per minute? WHERE?!?!? It's the MTV generation's fault, I tell you! :lol

Sorry, I'm with The Onion on this one.

Where are the ideas?

Red matter? :lol

Ah, the wonderful cynicism of popular culture where the greatest expression of joy is to rip apart that which you once loved so well. :lol
Point taken, but this isn't "that which [we] once loved so well". This is new stuff based on that which we still care about, and have no wish to see lessened by ineptitude.

Then again, I've seen The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, and Enterprise, so that ship may already have sailed. :D

Hey....ANY chance that Cumberbatch could be playing Moriarity? He DID learn to exist outside of the holodeck and perhaps he grew weary of that existance in that program they gave him and the Countess to exist in. It would be an ironic character play, given the current series that Cumberbatch is starring in at the moment. Just a crazy thought!
:lol

Hey....ANY chance that Cumberbatch could be playing Moriarity? He DID learn to exist outside of the holodeck and perhaps he grew weary of that existance in that program they gave him and the Countess to exist in. It would be an ironic character play, given the current series that Cumberbatch is starring in at the moment. Just a crazy thought!
:lol

On the off chance you're not trolling: Moriarity didn't learn to exist outside the holodeck, he was tricked. Also, he was created 100 years or so after this film takes place.

Really, if Cumberbatch is playing a rogue Starfleet officer shouldn't he be an admiral? Trek has a proud tradition of unstable/insane Admirals. The only rogue Captains were subjected to mind control, or Maquis. Admirals when nuts for all sorts of reasons.

JJ's already said that Alice Eve doesn't play a pre-existing character. Rules out Rand, and the fact that Rand was command division whereas Alice plays a science officer.

Re: Star Trek Teaser ????

its official... and at apple trailers Star Trek Into Darkness - Movie Trailers - iTunes
I find it interesting that it says: With a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction.

to me that says.... KHHHHHHHAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!! (or am I really wrong on that one?)

The official response is "No" (and it's apparently not Gary Mitchell).

I donno. It doesn't look much like a "Star Trek" movie - just an action/FX movie with the Star Trek name slapped on.

(And Spaceships are NOT submarines....)

Sorry, I'm with The Onion on this one.

The Onion portrayed fans who didn't like the new Star Trek movie because it was good. That's not why I didn't like Trek09. I didn't like the movie because..... let this sink in for a moment, I didn't think it was a good movie.

Red matter?

That was less of an idea and more of a random context sensitive plot device. i.e. It does whatever the writers need it to do, even if it's contradicting to what it's done before.

Sometimes one drop can consume an entire galaxy enveloping Super Nova that has already destroyed a couple of solar system, sometimes one drop will consume just a single planet, and sometimes a whole wrecking ball amount will destroy only.... something about 1/6 the size of Texas? Sometimes ships can travel through time and reality with it without so much as a scratch, other times it will completely destroy any ship that gets close to it.

Can't say that I'm all that impressed by what I've seen so far and I actually rather enjoyed the first JJ Trek. My first thoughts when I saw the Japanese trailer and this new one is that they remind me an awful lot of the trailers for the Dark Knight Rises, watching I keep expecting to hear the chant used in those trailers and for Bane to show up.

If they're trying to go for a dark Nolanesque/Dark Knightesque movie then I feel they're really taking the franchise in the wrong direction. While I can understand and appreciate them wanting to make the new Trek stand on its own and make it its own thing but if they go the dark and gritty route then they're just making it like every other movie out there. They really need to find a balance between doing dark and gritty, summer action flick, while staying truer to the original Trek that this new franchise is based on.

Re: Star Trek Teaser ????

(And Spaceships are NOT submarines....)

Are you referring to the scene near the end of the trailer that has the ship landing in the water? I don't think it was meant to go in there, it looked like it was crashing.

And what's with the Inception like music ?

Reel

I thought the same thing!! I really want to play this trailer for my wife without her looking at the screen and ask her to tell me the movie. I bet she says Inception. I'll edit the post with the results. :thumbsup

Sometimes one drop can consume an entire galaxy enveloping Super Nova that has already destroyed a couple of solar system, sometimes one drop will consume just a single planet, and sometimes a whole wrecking ball amount will destroy only.... something about 1/6 the size of Texas? Sometimes ships can travel through time and reality with it without so much as a scratch, other times it will completely destroy any ship that gets close to it.

Kind of like the genesis device.
it is requires to be detonated on a planet...or it can simply detonate inside a ship like the Reliant, in empty space, and it will magically create a living plant and its own sun....And it can create a sun inside a cave too!
It can also bring dead Vulcans back to life, and rapidly age Spock so that he is conveniently the same age as Leonard Nimoy by the end of Trek III.
Everything on the genesis planet is unstable, But Spock is perfectly OK.

Last edited:
Kind of like the genesis device.
Sometimes it requires to be detonated on a dead planet, or sometimes can simnply detonate inside a ship like the Reliant, in empty space, and it will magically create a living plant and its own sun....And it can create a sun inside a cave too!
It can also bring dead Vulcans back to life, and rapidly age Spock so that he is conveniently the same age as Leonard Nimoy by the end of Trek III.

The context of how the Genesis works was spread across two whole movies instead of just one. And unlike Red Matter, the Genesis device was only used ONCE. As for the "sometimes requires a dead planet" argument, that a simulation.

Plus the Reliant wasn't in empty space when the Genesis Device detonated. It was in the Mutara Nebula. You know, Nebulas are bodies of gas and dust. If you watch the scene with the Genesis planet beginning to form, you can see it actually consuming the nebula. And once the Genesis planet has finished, the Nebula is gone. And it didn't create it's own sun.

On the off chance you're not trolling: Moriarity didn't learn to exist outside the holodeck, he was tricked. Also, he was created 100 years or so after this film takes place.

Oh, come on! Do you have to be so immediately dismissive? This is a legitimate and informed idea that just takes a little imagination (not to mention, a sense of humour) to speculate on. Yes, it was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but it’s not completely unworthy of discussion.

The timeline IS completely different now, after all. But who is to say in that new future reality, that Moriarity couldn’t have realized he’d been double-holodecked, gained corporeal existence by his sheer will, transcended time and space (which is certainly possible in that world, as Q and others have shown), and come back to sabotage Earth as revenge for being duped?

OK…it’s a real stretch…but jeez…it’s just an idea. Given that we’re apparently stuck with an ‘arch nemesis’…It seems a lot more compelling than the mundane ideas floating around at the moment.

IMO, Moriarity was actually one of the most frightening characters of all, given his subtly, his complete lack of fear, his incomparable intellect, and the depth of his unending and merciless will to power…. It IS possible!

(Plus, it's not any crazier than some of the other possible ideas.)

:confused

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back