Star Trek Into Darkness (Pre-release)

Ah, the wonderful cynicism of popular culture where the greatest expression of joy is to rip apart that which you once loved so well. :lol

At least JJ promised us a trailer and gave it!

True, but he also promised a planed plot with Lost, and then made it up. He promised a Spielberg tribute with Super 8 and then gave us Stand By Me mets Cloverfield.

JJ has a history of promising great things, then delivering a shiny prize that you quickly realise isn't as good as you'd thought.

Ah, the wonderful cynicism of popular culture where the greatest expression of joy is to rip apart that which you once loved so well. :lol

Ah, the smug superiority of the spoon-fed sheep, unwilling to accept that we are allowed to criticise our fandoms when they drop in quality.

Why everybody thinks it´s "the Wrath of Khan"? If it´s the first encounter with him, it would be "Space Seed". Then, why not Khan coming back to earth to get his empire back?

I see the trailer and... meh. I'll watch the film when it comes out, but I'm not seeing many clues here, just mostly worthless eye candy that just shows a lot but doesn't reveal anything. What is with the silly looking gun arm on the villain anyway? What is this? Ironman 3?

As for the ships in the water shots, the rising ship looks like the JJ Enterprise to me because I am looking at my Playmates toy sitting on the shelf at almost the same perspective. Every detail on the nacelles lines up. And there IS a saucer popping up through the water in the background as well. It looks very much to me like the shot they did of the Enterprise popping up out of Titan's upper atmosphere in the first film. So what, are they going for a VTTBOTS vibe now with each film having the Enterprise surfacing? As for the other image, it looks kind of like the movie refit ship (straight pylons instead of curved ones). I'm not going to begin to speculate on it though, or get into a long discussion about the merits of starships, water and the like.

As for the blonde, it could be any one of four women... Dr. Dehner, Nurse Chapel, Carol Marcus (doubtful as I don't think she was starfleet) or Rand. Who says Rand HAS to wear red? Heck, it could be Ruth or Janice Lester for that matter (or even Marla McGivers if the baddie is indeed Khan). It could be any other blonde woman they decide to stick in at the whims of the writing staff as well.

What if this film is a sort of follow-up to the Where No Man Has Gone Before storyline?

Referenced as a between-movie occurrence, maybe Kirk marooning Mitchell on Delta Vega is the impetus for his vengeance. Gives the personal, academy days connection between Kirk and the villain.

That being said, I'm still not convinced he's playing Mitchell.
(Where does Weller play into this?)

Maybe they moved the nebula battle from WOK from space into the ocean and Kirk sinks the Enterprise and then rises up in back of Khan who is in a whaling vessel about to kill the last whales on Earth which would lead to the eventual destruction of mankind when the aliens in the oil drum come back. :lol

JJ seems to be mixing in all manner of things from Trek past so you never know.

Producers and cast have said the villian is not kahn and not gary mitchell....hmmmm

Food For Thought: A tweaked version of....

gw157-garth.jpg

Garth of Izar was a decorated, highly-regarded officer in the Federation Starfleet, who rose to rank of Fleet Captain in the course of his service through the mid-23rd century. His career dissolved in a dramatic descent into madness and attempted genocide, resulting in his commitment to the Elba II asylum for the criminally insane.

Garth emerged from Starfleet Academy to make good on his promise as a star pupil. Among contemporaries like Captains Pike and Garrovick, Garth became known as an eminent explorer, with a distinguished record for charting new worlds. As a tactician, he was a pivotal figure in the Federation victory at the crucial Battle of Axanar. His exploits were immortalized in his own time, becoming required reading at the Academy and inspiring members of a new wave of young officers.

His legacy was tarnished following the accident that left him badly maimed. The gentle beings of Antos IV nursed him in his darkest hour, and gifted him with their technique of cellular metamorphosis to repair his mangled body. In gratitude, he "offered them the galaxy" – an offer refused. By this point, he was no longer the honored Captain of the history books, and his diseased mind found such offense in Antos' rejection that he ordered his forces to annihilate the entire species. Whatever loyalty he once inspired in his crews vanished, and they refused his order. Federation authorities deemed it appropriate that Garth be sent to an asylum for the criminally insane. By 2269, he was a ward of Elba II.

READ MORE:
Garth of Izar - Memory Alpha, the Star Trek Wiki

I'd be fine with that. Having a Starfleet captain gone rogue could make for an interesting story, even without godlike powers or shapechanging abilities.

All I can say is that they Space-Time-Continuum story lines are getting old! I can see how JJ needed to use the ole STC in order to create the new timeline which explains the look of the characters, the back story as to how Kirk got the command of the Enterprise, and lastly how all of TOS characters came together.....

BUT.............................

the S-T-C has now just become a way to make the movies and TV episodes less interesting! That is why NX-01 season 01 ending dealt with the S-T-C and it was what made Season 02 start out really slow.

TOS dealt with meeting new species and how they could be incorporated into the Federation of Planets doctrine. Go back to that so that we can have the original ideas that Gene Roddenberry created.

All I can say is that they Space-Time-Continuum story lines are getting old! I can see how JJ needed to use the ole STC in order to create the new timeline which explains the look of the characters, the back story as to how Kirk got the command of the Enterprise, and lastly how all of TOS characters came together.....

BUT.............................

the S-T-C has now just become a way to make the movies and TV episodes less interesting! That is why NX-01 season 01 ending dealt with the S-T-C and it was what made Season 02 start out really slow.

TOS dealt with meeting new species and how they could be incorporated into the Federation of Planets doctrine. Go back to that so that we can have the original ideas that Gene Roddenberry created.
I don't see any indication that's happening here. What makes you think this is another time travel story?

I do agree that the "destroy the Earth" thing is getting a bit old, though.

As for the character, I assume this is someone new, but he may be loosely based on aspects of several TOS characters like Gary Mitchell or even Khan.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back