Star Trek Into Darkness (Pre-release)

Remember, they do not have the transporter equation that would enable them to sneak onto the Narada from a distance.

At the point in the '09 film that Kirk provoked Spock, they did have the equation.

Pick at this all you want. You said that one of the reasons you hate nuKirk is for provoking a fellow officer into a fight. I proved the old Kirk has done the exact same thing (which at that point in history was not only a fellow officer but his best friend).

The new film for all its flaws has a lot more in common with the TOS than you may care to believe.

Kevin

At the point in the '09 film that Kirk provoked Spock, they did have the equation.

So why didn't Kirk just bring that up?

Pick at this all you want. You said that one of the reasons you hate nuKirk is for provoking a fellow officer into a fight. I proved the old Kirk has done the exact same thing

Burton, it's NOT the same exact situation. The Spock in "This Side of Paradise" was not acting like himself because he was under the influence of an alien plant. Kirk provoked Spock so that he could bring him back to his senses. Kirk needed Spock back. NuKirk only provoked Spock just to get him out of the way. How is that the exact same thing?

So why didn't Kirk just bring that up?

Burton, it's NOT the same exact situation. The Spock in "This Side of Paradise" was not acting like himself because he was under the influence of an alien plant. Kirk provoked Spock so that he could bring him back to his senses. Kirk needed Spock back. NuKirk only provoked Spock just to get him out of the way. How is that the exact same thing?

Not exactly the same but similar. In Trek '09 Kirk didn't provoke Spock simply for the fun of it or because he had some grand delusions of grandeur and wanted command of Enterprise because of it; it was because of his encounter with old Spock who told him that it was imperative that he provoke and emotionally compromise Spock and assume command of the Enterprise. So in both cases the provocation of Spock was done out of necessity, not because they felt like or thought it would be fun to do so. In TOS Krik needed Spock, in Trek '09 Kirk needed to gain command of the Enterprise; so while not exact but they are both acts of necessity.

The new film for all its flaws has a lot more in common with the TOS than you may care to believe.

I would say it has more in common with what the general movie goers 'think' that Star Trek is. Like Kirk sleeping with a green alien woman. Never happened in the original series. Scotty being used solely for comic relief? Hardly. Like Bones shouting every single word of dialogue in an annoyed tone? I actually remember him being happy and content at times. Or how about when Kirk and crew spent a majority of the show's episodes trying to save the Earth from an evil force? Name one freaking episode.

I do recall that in the original series, you couldn't use the transporter through a ship's shields and there was a fairly close range limit. Not anymore in Trek09 because they can use math. Remember the original Stardates? That dating system that the Federation adapted since a lot of other societies used it? Nope. Apparently in this new universe, humanity forced every single space faring species into following it's 'earth years' as a star date, even the ones who have been in space centuries before us. Or what about sets? Remember how in the original series and subsequent series they built sets for their ships? Now we can just use a brewery. Or what about the whole exploration and dealing with knew, strange life forms like the Horta, Tholians, Gorns, ect.? Naw. Now we're just shooting aliens with phasers that shoot bolts instead of beams, and they recoil......

Last edited:
I do recall that in the original series, you couldn't use the transporter through a ship's shields and there was a fairly close range limit.

To be fair, that was a TNG or DS9 invention, O'Brian or Data worked out a formula that allowed that, something to do with matching velocity with the target vessel and maybe shield harmonics or some other technobabble. Of course, that's almost a century after TOS & Trek '09 was supposed to take place but it wasn't something that JJ made up just for his version of Trek. As for range limits, you can beam a person from planetary orbit down to the planet's surface, I'd call that pretty decent range.

As for range limits, you can beam a person from planetary orbit down to the planet's surface, I'd call that pretty decent range.

How about from planet to planet like from Saturn to Earth? That's a bit bigger than an orbital beam down. But that's still nothing in comparison to when Kirk and Scotty beamed onto the Enterprise. With Warp Speed, you could leave the solar system in mere minutes if not seconds. Kirk and Scotty manage to beam onto the Enterprise even though it's been warping away from Delta Vega for hours.... from a broken down shuttle.

You see, this is one of those big things they should never have been tampered with. Transporters, in and on themselves, are pretty unrealistic. But it was necessary because it saved the episodes time and money by not having to land a shuttle (or as they originally intended, the Enterprise itself) in every episode. When the transporters were used, the writers were very keen on making sure that it wasn't something that could used to solve everything. They had it so you couldn't beam through the shields (a point made in the episode Arena), was very hard to maintain (Doomsday Machine, TMP) and again, a limited range (A LOT of episodes and movies). By throwing in that transwarp equation into the mix just tosses all those elements out and makes the Transporter into something it shouldn't have been.

And to make it worse, they justify it's existence with a mere equation. Screw energy constraints, screw range limitations, and screw being evolved into horny lizards.

whats missing from new Trek is the epic music and themes we were blessed with in the original first 6 movies by Goldsmith, Horner and Eidelman.

Added to that, the sci fi imagery was distinct and had a real personality to it.

This new "dark trek rises" poster gives off a rather crappy vibe.

i just hope there is less lens flare this time around. I want to see real sci fi and personality to this movie, not just mindless action and cgi.

That Spock was under the influence of a happy, care free inducing plant,

So what? Nu spock was unfit for duty and Kirk needed to show this...In both instances (TOS and Teek09) the a confrontation was justified.

NuKirk's intention was just to get just rid of NuSpock.

In order to save earth.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back