Star Trek Into Darkness (Pre-release)

The poster makes sense seeing how Starfleet is going to be destroyed but - is it me or does it look more like a video game image than a movie?

I usually don't comment on stuff like this but... man... that poster is HORRIBLE. I don't mind sorrow and emotion in my Trek, neither do I mind reinvention or mixing things up. I admit to liking the 2009 film (it was like the most expensive fan-film ever made) but I certainly don't want any of this modern-era "edginess" from Nolan's take on the Bat or the Matrix mixed in there. I don't need the "cool young kids" to like Trek. It's never going to happen the way the studio (likely) wants it to and they're going to alienate the fan base they already have. And I feel complete confidence in my own "coolness" when I say- gimme my damn red and black pajamas!

I usually don't comment on stuff like this but... man... that poster is HORRIBLE. I don't mind sorrow and emotion in my Trek, neither do I mind reinvention or mixing things up. I admit to liking the 2009 film (it was like the most expensive fan-film ever made) but I certainly don't want any of this modern-era "edginess" from Nolan's take on the Bat or the Matrix mixed in there. I don't need the "cool young kids" to like Trek. It's never going to happen the way the studio (likely) wants it to and they're going to alienate the fan base they already have. And I feel complete confidence in my own "coolness" when I say- gimme my damn red and black pajamas!

After seeing this poster, I have to agree with you all. I hate being unduly pesimistic, but oh, to see another hero dressed in long, black leather is about as overused as teenager's phone.

I think that may be Kirk standing there.

All I can say is that I want to stay hopeful for this film, but damn....I sure hope they aren't falling into that cliche zone for the studio's sake. This could make or break the franchise, IMO.

For me, the only reason I look forward to any new Star Trek is for me to feel like I'm keeping my ST spirit active(I did end up buying the QMX phaser though). In terms of content and building on the existing ST universe, the last movie does absolutely nothing for me and I don't know how hopeful I am that 'Into Darkness' won't be just the same. From a production standpoint, I'm sure it will look great and the characters will be full of emotional conflict, of this I have no doubt.

After seeing this poster, I have to agree with you all. I hate being unduly pesimistic, but oh, to see another hero dressed in long, black leather is about as overused as teenager's phone.

I think that may be Kirk standing there.

All I can say is that I want to stay hopeful for this film, but damn....I sure hope they aren't falling into that cliche zone for the studio's sake. This could make or break the franchise, IMO.
I'm fairly sure the poster shows Benedict Cumberbatch .

Yeah, that's Cumberbatch playing Kahn/Gary Mitchell/Trekane/Harry Mudd. Well it least explains why whoever he is, he's a Brit.

Movies are losing it for me. Why does Hollwood think Dark is the new cool?

I never saw Dark Knight Rises as the Dark Knight was in my opinion not a Batman movie. It was a typical "One good cop fighting the system" movie, where that cop wore a Bat suit. It did not have the feel of Batman to me at all.

This new Trek looks like another "End of the world" movie that could come from anywhere. Its like 2012 with the Enterprise responding!

What ever happened to "Strange new worlds"? "New life and new civilizations"? :cry

In fact, let's just give it a new tag line....

Earth, the ONLY frontier.
These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise.
Her ongoing mission, to stay in orbit around earth.
To have new life and new civilizations come wreak havoc on us.
Boldly staying put where no one has stayed put before!

I wonder Rick Berman is doing these days?

I fully expect this to be another example of "Was it cool? Sure. But it wasn't Trek."

It'd be nice if I'm proved wrong, but I doubt I will be.

Seconded. I'm sure visually it will be really nice to watch. Who knows. I may a bit of a stubborn person, but I don't think J.J. Abrams will ever do Star Trek right in my books.
I fully expect this to be another example of "Was it cool? Sure. But it wasn't Trek."

It'd be nice if I'm proved wrong, but I doubt I will be.

This could make or break the franchise, IMO.

Okay let me start by saying I love the TOS, TOS movies, all spin off series (except Enterprise) and the first two TNG films-

To say that this film will make or break the franchise is a bit extreme. The franchise survived Final Frontier, Insurrection and nearly bought the farm after Nemesis (with little to no help from the series Enterprise).

4 years of hibernation and now Trek is back on the big screen.

I hated Trek '09 with a vengeance when I first saw it in the theater, however having revisited it in the last year, I've come to accept and even enjoy it for what it is...

This is what the franchise has become- space battle opera. There IS no more exploration or human discovery. It doesn't sell tickets anymore.

Do I like this? No.

Have I accepted it? Yes.

Perhaps I've become one of those sheep who would rather see "bad" Trek than no Trek at all. I don't know.

This film will not be "Trek" nor will it hold a candle to Star Trek II (which wasn't truly "Trek" in the classic sense either, but was the best Trek on film).

I don't think this movie will be "great Trek" as it is still going to pander to a mass audience, and these days it's a Micheal Bay-fest visual/aural bombardment that either leaves you breathless... or wondering WTF was THAT?! :rolleyes

However I don't think it will tank, nor will it be as bad as Terminator Salvation.

They'll pull the usual strings of a great ad campaign, followed by an "ooh-ahh" teaser and full trailer to get butts in seats opening weekend. Regardless of how bad it may be, it will probably crack the 300 mil. mark. And that will greenlight a third rebooted film.

It would have to be utter garbage (and I mean Gigli, or Catwoman bad) to put a final bullet in the franchise. Nothing could be THAT bad. :lol

Even so, if this film tanks, the franchise will be rebooted again in three or four years. Trek in all its incarnations has been a viable franchise for nearly half a century. It won't stay dead for long.

Kevin

Well I'm thirsting for optimistic space exploration/adventure, Trek used to be able to deliver that now and then.
Hopefully "Space Command" will scratch that itch and why I contributed some cash to it.

Yeah, for all the dire predictions, I don't think the film will suck. It will be entertaining, just like the last one. It just won't really be "Trek" to me. I understand that, and I accept that, so I roll with what I get.

But the notion that this film could kill the franchise is laughable. NOTHING will kill this franchise at this point, to the extent you accept that the franchise still exists at all. Why? Simple:

BRANDING.

"Star Trek" as a brand, is basically invincible. It would take a string of truly godawful films, plus a godawful TV show to really kill it, and even then it would just lie dormant until someone re-re-re-re-re-re-rebooted it (or whatever). That's the thing about starting off great: once you do, there's always gonna be some producer or studio head out there who loved it and who thinks they can bring it back.

Star Trek is like Batman, as a franchise. You cannot kill it. You can only slow it down. If Batman survived Batman & Robin, and Star Wars survived TPM, Star Trek can survive ANYTHING. Including Nemesis, and including this movie.

Now, that said, this iteration of Star Trek might not make it past 3 films. In fact, I'd be surprised if it did, simply because of the expense involved. Rather, I'd expect in-universe sequels set further into the future, or into humanity's past to be the order of the day. But it'll still say "Star Trek" in the title, and the ships will still have saucer sections and warp nacelles, they'll still talk about going to "Warp #" and the characters will be in Starfleet and carry phasers. All the window dressing will be there, and that will be the franchise surviving.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back