Star Trek Into Darkness (Pre-release)

I viewed Data's send off in Nemesis and the final scene as an homage to ST2 and 3 and a decent end. It wasn't the greatest movie, but it is what it is.

I am hopeful JJ recognizes a lot of the issues all of you have expressed. But I do still take from ST09 that Abrams had the courage to say "this is going to be MY timeline." Love it or hate it, I did not really care to see TOS "redone." Being able to see new adventures with an in universe explanation as to why things look different was really nice.

Star Trek ended for me with Enterprise's cancellation.
I enjoyed the show towards the end.
I even got a moment where Archer was lamenting that he just wants
to explore rather then get into wars. If the writers would only have let him more often!

On film I guess First Contact was pretty much the end of the road for me.

So I am in fan stasis, like Khan and his super race waiting to be awoken again when
it's time.

And for gawd sake, why has there not been an animated series again?
If no live action, I'd take that bone thrown if it was quality Trek.

And for gawd sake, why has there not been an animated series again?
If no live action, I'd take that bone thrown if it was quality Trek.

As much as I would love, endorse and cherish a Star Trek series in the animated format, canon treatment needs to be changed. I'm sick and tired of officially licensed products that we spend our time and money on being labeled as "non-canon", or that it never happened. The original animated Star Trek series for example falls under that category of being considered non-canon, even though it has Gene Roddenberry's name on it, it has the original cast, it's written by TOS writers and, well, feels like a Star Trek show.

I just want to be able to watch the show, take in the details and not have to be constantly reminded that it doesn't count. Outside of giving writers the benefit of not doing any research into a franchise's history and lore, what's the point? Maybe Gene was just prejudiced against the written word and animated series in general.

The animated series was asked to be considered non-canon at the request of Gene Roddenberry. While a lot of the series has found its way into being considered canon by use of references in the latter series, Roddenberry didn't consider the quality to be up to par with the live action material. Personally, I agree… while there were some good stories there, I don’t think the execution was all that well done. It was, after all a Saturday morning cartoon that was only given a half an hour to develop a story. To me the audio just isn’t very good and the animation had some pretty bad quality control issues. The over-use of Doohan, Barrett and Nichols voices for guest stars was a bit annoying. Roddenberry just felt that it wasn’t taken as seriously and no one had any idea that there would ever be any Star Trek again after that.

It’s like the books and comics. While certain parts are borrowed and made canon, the books and comics themselves are not. They’re fun… but they’re conflicting and would bog things down too much. Personally, I can’t take things like Star Trek/ X-Men or Star Trek: Infestation (zombies in Trek) as canon. Much the same is true for me and much of the Animated Series. The idea of a region of space where stars are black, the sky is white and everyone ages backwards is kind of… silly. But there were some gems to be sure- Yesteryear, for instance.

The Animated Series was fun and allowed us to get a few more stories out of the original crew… but it’s definitely not something I revisit as often as I do TOS.

Of course, I have no problem with tossing Spock’s Brain and STV out of canon either.

I really hope Abrams keeps the uniforms from the first one. I really like them and would hope they were not created simply to use in one movie as a homage to the original.

Not only that, it would have given NuSpock the oppertunity to know how much of an impact his mother had on his life in helping him cope with his human side without resorting to just "I'm proud of you".

That's too disgustingly close to Pon Farr for my tastes. You humans and your mothers. *shudder*.

While certain parts are borrowed and made canon, the books and comics themselves are not. They’re fun… but they’re conflicting and would bog things down too much. Personally, I can’t take things like Star Trek/ X-Men or Star Trek: Infestation (zombies in Trek) as canon.

I think the problem there is that these writers know they're writing stories that won't be considered canon, so they're free to do whatever they want since there are no consequences. I think if they had the burden of making their stories a part of Trek canon they would treat this material with a lot more care.

Much the same is true for me and much of the Animated Series. The idea of a region of space where stars are black, the sky is white and everyone ages backwards is kind of… silly. But there were some gems to be sure- Yesteryear, for instance.

Not as silly as a world that despite having no Earth influence at all, seems to have perfectly recreated not only the constitution of the United States, the pledge of allegience, but also the American flag. Or that one episode where women are clearly not allowed to have the rank of Captain (That one seems to carry over to Trek09). I guess terrible episodes that Gene himself wrote get the pass where good episodes in the animated series get the boot. I would watch any animated episode over those two.

And don't diss Robert April.

Last edited:
Another thing. The introduction of the trans-warp equation brings up some troubling consequences. If it is indeed possible to warp onto a ship with shields up... what's to protect any ship, location, whatever from receiving an explosive device that goes boom and kills everyone. No security at all... so that will have to be made secure, so people can't just send bombs through that system.

Over-analyzing a TV show is nothing but troubling consequences. Everyone with access to transporter technology should be immortal. There'd be no use for doctors, because the second you got a cavity or a tumor or lost a limb in an accident, all you have to do is throw all the mass on the platform and use the last pattern instead of the present form of the person. Beam 'em from one side of the room to the other and reassemble 'em with their arm attached.

There will be no entertaining TV show, because there is never any consequence to any action. Nobody ever learns anything, and no one ever dies.

Larry Young said:
There will be no entertaining TV show, because there is never any consequence to any action. Nobody ever learns anything, and no one ever dies.

And without a mother, who's going to keep them in line?

Over-analyzing a TV show is nothing but troubling consequences. Everyone with access to transporter technology should be immortal. There'd be no use for doctors, because the second you got a cavity or a tumor or lost a limb in an accident, all you have to do is throw all the mass on the platform and use the last pattern instead of the present form of the person. Beam 'em from one side of the room to the other and reassemble 'em with their arm attached.

And... you'll lose every experience that happened between that last beaming up until the accident. A lot of things can happen in 13 seconds. :lol

But would reusing that old pattern involve memories as well? It would be like a system restore. Assuming memories are part of your molecular pattern, you'd lose memories of all that you've learned and experienced since the last pattern was saved.

The Venture Brothers already have this covered: beds that are also syncing docks. If you have a clumsy child you make him wear a helmet. If you have death-prone children....

As Jeyl mentioned they’ll probably never mention the warp speed transport formula again. Trek history is littered with concepts that have been used once and then forgotten. In Plato’s Stepchildren they discovered how to give humans telekinetic powers, think how handy that might have been in future episodes but we never saw it again. As Larry pointed out the transporter could be used for medical purposes and was used (unfortunately) to cure Dr. Pulaski’s slight problem with accelerated aging and again we never saw the transported used in that fashion again.

As Larry pointed out the transporter could be used for medical purposes and was used (unfortunately) to cure Dr. Pulaski’s slight problem with accelerated aging and again we never saw the transported used in that fashion again.

As much as I hate to bring up Voyager, they did use the Transporter to deliver our horned forehead sweetheart Naomi out of her mother's womb during a crises. That was pretty neat.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back