NIKE MAG Knockoffs

Awesome little review mate. Glad everything went alright with the order. Ive emailed them the other day and will be ordering mine on saturday. Just hope I dont get it with customs fees:confused

My only dilemma is which color to go for, I know these aren't accurate, but the closest one to the real ones out of their choices is the one you purchased. But Im really considering going for the white on black pair. My plan is to actually wear these till they start to fall apart, and im thinking bright silver shoes are a bit much lol. Then I'll order another pair and use the old pair as a donor kit to make a more accurate set.

Thats the plan anyway... :confused

yeah i think as a cheap knockoff, the white ones look the best.

im thinking of getting 2 pairs, one to test some spray paints on. TheNickFox, do you think its possible to take out the sole part and spray it?

what type of spray would be good?

im thinking of making a totally white/light grey shoe and spraying the lettering on the back too.

then making one more of an accurate one.

TheNickFox, do you think its possible to take out the sole part and spray it?

Everything seems pretty well glued, but I don't see why it couldn't be pulled apart with an exacto knife, a lot of blades, and even more patience.

Here's a really quick comp I just did, (Translation: there are a lot of inaccuracies in my line drawings) showing the outline of a real Nike Mag, against the knockoffs. All of this should be fixed in my mods.

Screenshot2012-03-14at102516PM.png

-Nick

I think the really high arch on the foot part of the upper could be fixed by tighter elastic straps. The ankle part looks better as is though, from a non-screen-accuracy perspective. If you plan on wearing them over your pants like in the movie you're going to need more to stick out.

Great video review. Like I said/and showed before I own a silver pair in size 11s and I love 'em. Yes they do have their inaccuracies like much of everything else does, but with a few mods they might come out quite nice. Are you thinking over covering over the shiny silver with a flat grey lycra material? or something of the sort? Thats my plan along with the EL Nike Strap. Keep me posted maybe we can do a side by side modification thread. LoL :thumbsup

Great video review. Like I said/and showed before I own a silver pair in size 11s and I love 'em. Yes they do have their inaccuracies like much of everything else does, but with a few mods they might come out quite nice. Are you thinking over covering over the shiny silver with a flat grey lycra material? or something of the sort? Thats my plan along with the EL Nike Strap. Keep me posted maybe we can do a side by side modification thread. LoL :thumbsup

I was actually planning on building my own uppers from scratch, like how Brad (Jedifyfe) did with his Mark Poon mod. After that, I'll be sculpting and casting new heelcups and strap tensioners and speckling the soles with paint.

That's just round 1 too. The electronics would be a while after that.

-Nick

I was actually planning on building my own uppers from scratch, like how Brad (Jedifyfe) did with his Mark Poon mod. After that, I'll be sculpting and casting new heelcups and strap tensioners and speckling the soles with paint.

That's just round 1 too. The electronics would be a while after that.

-Nick

Yeah, see I'd love to do it from scratch but I know more about cars and electronics then i would about fabricating and sewing new materials for the uppers. LoL Best Of luck though, can't wait to see the final product.

Well ive just ordered mine. Ive been emailing them the past few days and they are willing to accept paypal for any of you that dont want to hand over your credit card details. Just email and ask, then you just need to buy the shoes on site so it shows you the order ID. Then you just send it to them and sorted :)

Captainjaze: they dont look half bad, im glad I went with the white ones as that dosent look like a to difficult mod to do. I think im gunna flash mine around though before I take a scalpel to them lol

Welsh

what material is the sole made of? is it just standard rubber? i want to make a plain white version, and paint the sole. Is a dye a good solution to do this?

The main body of the sole seems to be a dense foam rubber (I'm no expert, it just feels lighter and more porous than its volume would make you think) with the insert sections most likely made of a high shore urethane rubber.

Someone else might have a better guess for the specific compound the main sole is made of.

The issue with any sort of "topical" solutions to adjusting the color is going to be wear and tear. If you plan on wearing these, the rubber will literally wear away, leaving the layer of paint or dye in microscopic shredded pieces on the ground.

-Nick

Well ive just ordered mine. Ive been emailing them the past few days and they are willing to accept paypal for any of you that dont want to hand over your credit card details. Just email and ask, then you just need to buy the shoes on site so it shows you the order ID. Then you just send it to them and sorted :)

Captainjaze: they dont look half bad, im glad I went with the white ones as that dosent look like a to difficult mod to do. I think im gunna flash mine around though before I take a scalpel to them lol

Welsh

Im gonna go with the whites as well. Waiting on response from them. Hope someone can create something worth picking up when it coms to a kit with these.:cool

It feels accurate to me. Snug but not too tight. There is a little extra room in the toe, but they don't slip around so it feels accurate to me.

-Nick

Okay, I still need to do some more extensive testing, but I think I've chosen the route I'll be taking when it comes to adding the transparent sole inserts. After looking at clear urethanes that were about 3-4 times what I paid for these shoes, I decided to revisit a technique I've messed around with in the past: casting with hot glue.

I know JediFyfe played around with it for his heel bubbles, but I feel with a proper mold and a pot I don't mind melting many glue sticks in, it could work out a million times better than the inserts currently on the shoes, and give a great effect at a fraction of the cost of the expensive urethanes.

Once my experiments begin in ernest, I'll start my own thread.

Thoughts or ideas...especially from anyone who has worked with hot glue in medium-sized molds? (I've only done smaller components)

-Nick

I decided to revisit a technique I've messed around with in the past: casting with hot glue.

I know JediFyfe played around with it for his heel bubbles,
Not sure if they will be durable. Hot glue can tear really easliy.

It was S02 that use to do the glue ankle bubble. I tried to fill one of my plastic ankle bubble with hot glue but it didn't work correctly.

Good luck!

Not sure if they will be durable. Hot glue can tear really easliy.

It was S02 that use to do the glue ankle bubble. I tried to fill one of my plastic ankle bubble with hot glue but it didn't work correctly.

Good luck!

That's right! I knew you had experimented with it. The stuff I cast before with hot glue was always a bit too small to incur any tearing...would you happen to know the chemical name/type for the glue you used.

I'll probably buy a couple types and test them to breaking, but it can't hurt to know what's been tried so I can hopefully try to avoid some of the problems that can creep up.

The good news in my research so far: there are clear hot glues with softening points above the temperature of some of the hottest measured temperatures for concrete. (and even most normal high temps for asphalt)

-Nick

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back