Thor Costume (Pre Avengers) & Hammer!

AsgardAssassin

Hi guys

I'm currently working on a Thor costume for New Year in foam. (I will try get some photo's taken).

Thing is, I can't actually make out what colour the basis of the armour should be?

Is it BLACK or a DARK METALLIC BLUE?!

I'm in the UK so auto paint colours differ from the US.

Can anyone help?!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Re: Thor Costume (FOAM WIP)

OK guys, don't all rush at once to give me some expert advice! haha.

I thought I better post some pics so you at least know I'm serious.

I've started the chest armour. Its a full wrap around piece and I have been using pictures from Hot Toy 1:6 Thor Figure.

Everything has been freestyled by hand to fit my measurements. I then traced the shapes onto the foam and cut out and hot glued.

Any feedback is welcome...

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

And before you ask, yes there is a hammer I'm making in the background...

Great star on the armor... im also in Uk and was using them camping mats for my Iron Man Mark VI... but decided to use a stiffer mat after a done helmet and arm... i found it more forgiving when cutting foam and glueing... the seams are alot sharper...

Plan to do thor aswell... this will be a good reference for me :cool

Excellent start man makes me want to start mine now :wacko

Great star on the armor... im also in Uk and was using them camping mats for my Iron Man Mark VI... but decided to use a stiffer mat after a done helmet and arm... i found it more forgiving when cutting foam and glueing... the seams are alot sharper...

Plan to do thor aswell... this will be a good reference for me :cool

Excellent start man makes me want to start mine now :wacko

Thanks man!

What foam do you use? I started a Mark VI with this stuff and freestyled everything. Needless to say it wasn't to good.

I'm going to start Iron Man after new year and use the robo templates available online hopefully...

Ok guys...

A little update. I made Mjolnir using some PVC pipe from the local DIY store for the handle which cost a little over a pound, bought a stop end for the end of the handle, and bought some foamcore board to create the hammer head itself.

After a bit of online research I dimensioned the Hammer at 12" long but 6" wide. It's pretty big but looks cool as hell! I have yet to attach the disc on the top of the hammer head...

photo7.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo8.jpg

I have realised that small knocks puts dint marks on the hammer head, so I am going to use some left over resin and glassfibre tissue to reinforce the head then put a light filler coat on and paint!

can you send to us the pep files or the models??

thx...

amazing work

Thanks man, it's appreciated!

I have no pep files, everything I have done is hand drawn from photos and replica models such as the hot toy one...

Hot Toys Movie Masterpiece 1/6 Scale Collectible Figure Thor

I also referenced some movie stills...

Loki-Thor-Avengers.jpg

The armour varies from movie and model replicas to the armour worn on set by Chris Hemsworth. You will notice this when you compare everything.

Re: Thor Costume & Hammer (Foam Work In Progress)

Update time then... :lol

I have completed the foam builds of the Gauntlet, Shin Armour and the chest is complete all be it for a few mods prior to paint.

The Gauntlet...
Gauntlet.jpg

With the Chest Armour you can see I have marked out around the shoulder area where I am going to cut out to give it that more fitted look.

I had to make modifications to the back where it clipped together as it was not tight enough and looked far too oversized.

ArmourFront.png

ArmourBack.png

I have the fabric for the cape which will be made by the weekend.

I have also found some fabric I believe will look awesome for the sleeves!...
SleeveFabric.jpg

Next stop paint....

With regards to the hammer it is in the process of being painted. I have not been able to replicate the scroll details on the ends of the hammer, I have no idea how to do so :confused so for the time being it will be plain but you still get the effect. Pictures to follow when complete...

That's looking really great!! I haven't even seen this movie yet, but I'm so in love with the costume... Have you started the helmet yet? :D

I usually use craft foam from Micheal's it's much thinner and can be heated to keep it's form. If you find you need some pieces to be not as thick as the foam you're using it might be a consideration... fabric glue works really well with it.

As for the scrolling, is it an indented scroll or a relief? If it's relief you can use fabric paint. That's what I used with my Sauron helmet. If its indented you can carve it into foam.

I have examples of all that on my webpage, link below. :)

I want to make this armor so badly but i need some kind of pattern or templateits hard for me to reference things from scratch because my eyes are bad

I want to make this armor so badly but i need some kind of pattern or templateits hard for me to reference things from scratch because my eyes are bad

If I would of had any templates I would of been happy to send you them but unfortunately I do not.

Have a go and post your progress!

Re: Thor Costume & Hammer - HAMMER COMPLETE & ARMOUR PLASTI-DIPPED

OK a little update...

HAMMER COMPLETE...
HammerPainted.jpg

I have applied plastidip to the chest armour, gauntlets and shin pieces. Here is a pic of the chest armour...
PlastidipFront.jpg

PlastidipBack.jpg

They are now in the process of being primed, and I have bought the final paint colours.

Any feedback would be appreciated...

That looks fantastic! I haven't heard of plastidip before, but given how it looks, it seems likely to make it very durable! It really doesn't look anything like foam anymore.

I can't wait to see the final paint colors on it!!! :)

Holy crap. This looks pretty damn great. You have me tempted to try out making the hammer

Very nice. i really need to get off of PEP and into FOAM. Looks to be alot less work, and more forgiving to mistakes.

That looks awesome definatly gonna be watching this thread as im thinking of doing this as well probibily not as well though.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back