RS Prop Masters ANH stomtrooper build: 2 sets of armor: 1 full PVC kit+helmet, 1 ABS

Re: RS Prop Masters ANH stomtrooper build: 2 sets of armor: 1 full PVC kit+helmet, 1

Thanks guys, feedback is much appreciated.

While I still need the cloth part of the belt, I have now finished assembling all armor parts. Here's how I did the leg pieces:

6420770053_455feffe76_b.jpg

6420781891_efa911fac1_b.jpg

I guess that means: assembling some ABS armor next... ;)

Re: RS Prop Masters ANH stomtrooper build: 2 sets of armor: 1 full PVC kit+helmet, 1

Looking good.

Saw Si and Rob's stuff a few weeks back and they are doing some great work here.

Looking forward to seeing you suited and booted in this.

Freakin awesome. Looks like you took a DeLorean back to 1976 and stole a set from the Elstree costume department!

Now I am just waiting for my cloth belt, then I can have my first test fit.

6425490539_475219aca5_b.jpg

Check the box of goodness behind the PVC armor! :)

While waiting for my belts to arrive, I started assembling my ABS armor, again building the torso first. I took a couple pics to show you guys the color differences, but they are hard to really show in photographs.

The first was taken with flash, the second with just my yellowish room lamp as a light source. (PVC left, ABS right)

6487081081_d20530a69c_b.jpg

6487087649_6c1d9901ca_b.jpg

The ABS is easier to trim and sand, and feels quite sturdy. Sturdier than my 1mm ABS TM armor, but not as flexible.

I've noticed on the center AB plate that two gray buttons are not aligned vertically with the other buttons. Is this screen accurate?

The abdomen armor detail plates are sculpted pieces vs. "cast from original" (no such plates were present on Simon's suit) and thus not 100% accurate, but very very close.

The screen used costumes were more on the "irregular" side in sculpt as well as paint. But it varied from trooper to trooper in the movies due to the handpainted nature of these details-

I understand if each button is not painted the same they will not line up properly, but do you know if the buttons were aligned (before paint) or not on the orginial armor? By the way, you are doing a fantastic job!

In this photo of original armor from the LF archives, the buttons are clearly not sculpted in a line, very much like seen on the sculpted RS Props pieces:

6500817287_30ab40ba27_b.jpg

I finished one ABS thigh today, only the "knee ammo belt" fixings need painting. The ABS thigh turned out a bit closer to the original thigh piece, I especially like how the top edge turned out.

Here's a couple comparison pics, with my PVC thigh left and the ABS one right:

6500985791_cae5e9048d_b.jpg

6500996425_6f1f91fecc_b.jpg

6501008875_0ec8784ef0_b.jpg

This is why a picture tells a story. Thanks, ObiHahn

Question. R2Dan posted a link to a youtube vid of him playing with his RS armor. He was bending it like a mad man and it just popped back into shape...perfect for trooping. So which is the flexible suit...ABS or PVC?

One more ?? I see you guys are using metal clips. Have these been confirmed as original construction method or are they the 'new and improved' method of strapping a ST suit?

Awesome build by the way!

My good mate R2Dan was bending the heck out of his PVC armor in that vid you refer to. ABS will not take that much abuse, it's just not as flexible as the PVC - do the same to an ABS chest plate and it will crack, even the 1mm ABS TM I had before these 2 sets of armor would have been damaged where the RS Props PVC parts will just flex back into shape.
But it's not indestructible, mind you. Normal costuming and the occasional sitting down or bending over will not destroy the PVC, though.

The original armor strapping inside the movie costumes consisted of these metal brackets and elastic loops/straps; also, every rivet, screw and snap seen on Dan's and my suits are in the correct position.
And this original internal strapping system is - believe it or not - very well suited for wearing the armor during, say, a long 501st troop or similar events.

It's engineered very well but really only makes sense for thinner, flexible material like the kinds you see here in my build thread. Thicker armor will need another kind of strapping system.

The original strapping method when applied to this particular suit adds to the overall ANH feel as much as the contours of the armour itself in my opinion.
After 7 years and many different armours I think I'm finally satisfied that I have the definitive ANH replica in my possession.
It's on my mannequin in my living room and I can just stare at it for hours.

Dennis, Loving the construction of the ABS thigh. Definitely nailed it there :thumbsup

Your doing an awsome job buddy.

I copped flogging in my thread as to the position and size of my brackets.I just wanted to add that the strapping brackets are not as perfectly made as people make out. I will post pics as to why if I can get permission.you can see discrepancy in the archives pics too if you look. Some are even way off centre.

Anyway I'm loving your work and look forward to more.

Ben

I just wanted to add that the strapping brackets are not as perfectly made as people make out.

Thanks, and I agree. In both my suits, the brackets are positioned more or less as per Simon's original suit. Especially the middle chest bracket is noticeably off center, and the brackets themselves are handmade and wonky. It all helps nail the "sloppy" ANH look, and I'm having a blast putting these together that way. :)

Today, I'll tackle the shin pieces. Other than that, I am waiting for the correct screws and snaps to arrive, and also my replica belts - they are on their way, yay! :thumbsup

Superb, as some of you know I have quite a large collection and waiting on my CFO at present, can anyone point me in the direction for a getting an RS, many thanks and this is a genuine request and excuse me, I just want to make sure I am asking the right people.
thank you
PM sent Obihahn

photo-10.jpg

I have some progress to share, since my superb replica belts arrived.
Check this out:

6510455141_8145d0be2f_b.jpg

It's the finished PVC torso with belt and holster.

And here is the second, identical belt in its "raw form" compared to my ABS torso:
6510450381_c32e7d428b_b.jpg

I also finishes both detonator tubes:
6510460395_6767f52b47_b.jpg

And this is how far I am with my ABS armor. I have laid it out "ESB style" with a painted ESB helmet (with chipping) and my TM ESB handguards in matching ABS.
6510465447_d6c2279134_b.jpg

Next up: assembling the ABS shin parts and then suiting up in the PVC armor.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back