Star Trek 3D Chess Set - Build, & Finished

Thanks everyone for the kind words :)

Drac - I see the problem. Mine is 40 cms high tall. The original, according to Christie's, is 25 inches - ie approximately 63 cms. Mine is purposely smaller.

IIRC, I used silver spray for both the body and the boards.

With regards to the placement of the boards, in all the episodes of TNG and DS9 it appears, the boards are placed parallel to the frame. Seems Christie's wanted to be artistic for the photo shoot :lol

That came out nice. I still have my Franklin Mint Trek chess set with gold and silver pieces. In that one the small attacj boards move around to all corners or levels. In the rules, you can move the board with the pieces on it as a move, and gain an advantage over your oponent. It takes some getting used to for the rules, but once you learn them, it's a blast to play.

It was the B9 robot. That was in one of the comentaries a ways back.

I have seen better pics but this one looks like a profile/silhouette of the Lost in Space robot.

LISchess_zps3b9a6c7f.jpg

Rummaging through some old photos and slides taken in the late 70s and came
across a couple of pics of a 3D chess set. No one left to ask questions about
it, but it looks like it used regular/standard chess pieces.
Must be some knock or something as it doesn't look like the one even in TOS.

TOSches1.jpg

click here for larger pic

Thanks everyone for the kind words :)

Drac - I see the problem. Mine is 40 cms high tall. The original, according to Christie's, is 25 inches - ie approximately 63 cms. Mine is purposely smaller.

IIRC, I used silver spray for both the body and the boards.

With regards to the placement of the boards, in all the episodes of TNG and DS9 it appears, the boards are placed parallel to the frame. Seems Christie's wanted to be artistic for the photo shoot :lol

Ah I see what you mean I was confused there got inches and cms mixed up haha, I thought it was odd about the placement of the boards as most shots from TNG do look parallel to the frame, seems weird why Christies made them at an angle :confused as its not screen accurate, oh well still a great build will have to get me some parts and get cracking :thumbsup :D

Those smaller boards are supposed to be movable. Your build is nice but flawed. If you look at an image form "Unnatural Selection" you will see how the boards are intended to move.

HI there. I'm building this myself and using your measurements completely. How did you attach the large boards to the stand? I'm guessing there is a silver square underneath each board, lining up with a silver square on the actual boards? And what adhesive did you use? Complete novice at anything like this but always wanted a Star Trek chess set. Thanks in advance!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back