Akasha Queen of the Damned Costume

Smarjia Aldrin

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make an Akasha, from Anne Rice's "Queen of the Damned," costume? It is very intricate with detailed bead work. I was thinking the top, or bra could be made using a strapless bra to avoid wardrobe malfunctions. Also, I'm not sure how to do the head piece and I really don't want it to be heavy.

You're ideas and suggestions would be most helpful.

15.jpg

I think I could also make the bra with a type of craft foam that would be light and easy to paint and decorate.

I would greatly appreciate it anyone has any suggestions on how to make this costume.

You could try a vacuum form piece- that way, it would be form fitting, light, and easy to decorate- some of the ornate work could also be incorporated into the vac form.

I know you've selected the outfit we first see her in after her statue appearance. But there's also a second outfit she's seen in towards the end of the film. In fact, I came across a blog that has some pictures from fan-made costumes.

I agree with Mostly Fantasy, you'd have better luck with vacuum forming the chest piece so that it has the correct appearance.

As for how to construct the costume entirely, it's really hard to say. One tutorial I've come across from eHow suggests using brass craft sheeting. I don't know how useful eHow is, but it's certainly not RPF.

Another resource to consider is Cosplay.com, as I did find at least one user who made a costume. In fact, one of the users named LadyMuramasa did sort of a small video about how she constructed the head piece (it's more of a WIP vid than a tutorial or anything like that)

I found one site that has this ridiculously overpriced costume that I doubt is even screen accurate.

I don't know if I'm being at all helpful, but I figured it'd be best to share these links so you can form some ideas on how you want to construct it and to share potential methods of how to construct it (though there's not an exact tutorial, just looking at some of the pictures show what others have done to at least get a decent version of the screen outfit).

I've always loved this costume. Regardless of my feelings about the movie.

The breastpiece, I think would be best done in latex. I think you can get by with topstick tape to hold it on, because she has a lot of beading and such coming down her neck that can act as a support system for the appliance. You would need a bust cast to accomplish all this, but it seems a fairly simple build.

The belt, headress, and neckpiece will be the hardest part. Looks like a lot of scouring the jewelry findings at Michaels. Easter Findings is a great resource for this type of thing as well.

I cant say I have any real experience at this but I dont see why you couldnt do craft foam on wire for the entire thing. Although... as I research it there is a fair amount of detail work on the bra.

This one seems pretty close.

Queen_Akasha_by_Insane_Pencil.jpg

Its the closest of all the costumes Google had to offer. Looks like it was sculpted. No immediate indication as to who this is but I didnt really look either. You may be able to find the name if you mine the site a little.

Aaliyah-as-Akasha-Queen-Of-The-Damned-aaliyah-18438471-1682-2552.jpg

As I look at it the original costume has a very sculpted look. Maybe a lightweight craft clay sculpt on a wire frame? Dont see why you couldnt do the same for the head piece. On close inspection it is just a wire frame with baubles. Foam baubles with some nice faux metal finish paint.

While the first costume is far more iconic the one suggested by CB2001 could be done fairly easily and to good effect I would think.

Akasha-Queen-Of-The-Damned-vampires-18597134-2560-1713.jpg

There was a fantastic Wonder Woman on here a couple of weeks ago. Pretty amazing foam work on a bustier. You may be able to get some inspiration from that work.

Akasha is one of my all time fav characters in movies, shame she had one of the worst movies ever made. Have fun and good luck!

Here is a head piece done to good effect: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpfCvDN_dc4

Last edited:
What about casting your chest and then from that pour in Hydro cal. From there you can sculpt on the design and then cast that in plastic and then add all the details.

Otherwise use a generic chest and sculpt from that. Sculpey III, comes in a larger box for about $15.00 or you could use regular oil based clay.

Or another approach is modify a pre existing costume. Also you can find cheap costume jewlery at garage sales. Old ladies collect that stuff ;)

Wow! Great costume! I had forgotten how beautiful she was. Haven't seen this movie in ages! Good luck making it!

Yes, CB2001 I know about the second costume, but I don't care for that one as much. Although when I look at the design it looks like it would be easier to make and has less detail. However, most people recognize Akasah better with the first costume.Thank you for the links and yes you have been helpful.

I've always loved this costume. Regardless of my feelings about the movie.

The breastpiece, I think would be best done in latex. I think you can get by with topstick tape to hold it on, because she has a lot of beading and such coming down her neck that can act as a support system for the appliance. You would need a bust cast to accomplish all this, but it seems a fairly simple build.

The belt, headress, and neckpiece will be the hardest part. Looks like a lot of scouring the jewelry findings at Michaels. Easter Findings is a great resource for this type of thing as well.

That's an interesting idea for the top piece Darth Mule. I will take it into consideration and thanks for the advice. :)

Thank you writefast using craft foam and lightweight craft clay sculpt on a wire frame is a very good suggestion. I will have to look into it along with the other ideas and probably test a few of them out to get the desired look. Although I'm not crazy about Akasha's second costume, I will consider it as well if I have a hard time getting the beads and other stuff needed for the first costume, or hell maybe I will make both.

What about casting your chest and then from that pour in Hydro cal. From there you can sculpt on the design and then cast that in plastic and then add all the details.

Otherwise use a generic chest and sculpt from that. Sculpey III, comes in a larger box for about $15.00 or you could use regular oil based clay.

Or another approach is modify a pre existing costume. Also you can find cheap costume jewlery at garage sales. Old ladies collect that stuff ;)

Hmm, I never though about making a cast of my chest....Costume jewlery at garage sales is a good idea too. Thanks T2SF.

The spikes and other parts of the headress and body armor look to me to be Amaco friendly plastic marbleized black sheeting. Very easy to use and light weight as well

Look up Kuchi and Turkoman tribal jewelry images and you'll see a few of those pieces are common items. Not cheap though. I have a couple of the triangular belt medallions that I bought at a belly dance convention for another project.
The bottom squares on the belt look to be real abalone, but you might be able to find a paper or plastic or craft substitute..
I'd go with craft foam for the headress if i were you.. easy enough to make look like metal. Good luck!

Yeah, I used to do be in a belly dancing troop, but I mostly own tribal coins. Kuchi and Turkoman tribal jewelry is something to consider. I'm torn between foam and sheet metal for the headdress. This is because foam is easy to used but can beak if something happened to the headdress. Then sheet metal is more durable, but I don't think it would be that easy to cut. Thanks for the tips and ideas Jayn.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back