A Dredd-full new build (comic style) pic heavy

Broadway204

Well I have been wanting to do this for a while now so I went through my library of Pepakura files and came across this wonderful file by Dungbeetle. In an effort to try non toxic material I decided to use up some Smooth-cast 300, I built this very cool Judge Dredd helmet and then started to harden it with the resin. This is my progress so far.
001.jpg

002.jpg

005.jpg

After a coat of Smooth-cast on the outside and a slush on the inside. Tomorrow I will lay in some fiberglass cloth and then begin the Bondo work.
006.jpg

007.jpg

009.jpg

I welcome your comments and suggestions.

Thanks
Richard

How are you liking the smoothcast? I am attempting to use resin and am getting mixed results.

I have been using Smooth-cast for many years as a casting plastic but never as a substitute for polyester resin. If I am going to continue to use it for this purpose I will move to the 321 instead of the 300 or I may even use roto. Just because it gives me more working time.

Today I'm going to line the helmet with fiberglass cloth and knock down all the paper edges before applying the Bondo. I also made it so it would fit up to a 24" head.
Picture13.jpg

Re: A Dredd-full new build (comic style) pic heavy update 11/13

Well I got to the fiberglass stage today. I had to use Fiber-mat intead of cloth because that is all I had on hand, but it worked out ok. I used about 12 oz of resin on this whole project so far.
001-1.jpg

Tomorrow I trim the helmet and start to Bondo.

Re: A Dredd-full new build (comic style) pic heavy update 14/11

Well I got it trimmed and the first thin coat of filler on it.
007-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

Next continue to sand and fill until smooth.

A Dredd-full new build (comic style) pic heavy Update 11/17

Well after a lot of hand sanding and some primer this is where I'm at.
001-1-1.jpg

002-1-1.jpg

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

I now have to go over the helmet and find all the trouble spots and spot fill them.

That is looking great! I've been wanting to do this helmet, too. What size did you print that at? I need one to fit a big hat size, too.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back