Immortals

Based solely upon Greek mythology, I'm sure it is. Visually it looks great. Though, when I saw the trailer, I thought it had more gold lame` and rhinestones than "A Chorus Line".

Also John Hurt has such a distinctive voice, all I heard was the Dragon from Merlin.

I really liked it. The first trailer I saw did not look good to me, but the second one made me want to give it a shot. Fun movie, I was not expecting the amount of violence in it, which I liked. I like this version of the Gods better then others I have seen.:thumbsup

It was pretty good! But, you have to turn off your brain to enjoy the story. Great visuals, awesome fight scenes and I thought Henry Cavill was pretty good in it as well. Gives me hope for Man of Steel!

very pretty movie, much in the same vein as 300, but more over the top, dealing with the gods as opposed to the people, the violence was beautiful. great popcorn flick

Just got home from seeing it. It was really good. I wasn't expecting the level of violence in certain parts simply because it took so long to get to it. The gods were super badass.

Sadly this film suffered from the same problem as clash. 3D wasn't utilized properly and was a waste.

Saw it tonight in 3D...

Pros:
- loved Athena's costume... I don't care how tacky it was!
- Henry Cavill... eye candy but not much more to him ( at least in this flick )
- Scenes with the Gods ( seemingly, the only portions anyone involved with the movie actually took the time to care about )
- .... I think that's all.

Cons:
- Very loosely threaded ( and uninteresting ) story with pointless subplots scattered and dropped throughout
- Not enough Gods scenes!
- Not enough fight scenes!
- Zeus kept reminding me of Orlando Bloom ...
- Protagonist was a snooze and didn't really do much of anything that couldn't be discounted as unimportant.
- Hyperion's stupid hat, crown...helmet...thing. I could not take this movie seriously after that thing littered the screen.

In ways of comparison...
I'd say it was too reminiscent of Clash of the Titans...mainly because of its terrible writing and overall low entertainment factor and 0 likable characters.

300 was to the point. Bad guys commin', gonna fight them. And at least the script in between was well written ( and by that I mean it's at least interesting and memorable...there aren't very many 'well written' scripts in recent years ).

I'd say maaaaaaaaaaaybe 4/10. I did love pretty much any scene with the Gods, but other than that...too much talk, not enough action.

Re: the violence... WUT. I was actually expecting way more for an 18A movie... not that I was disappointed, just surprised.

Well, I was coming to give my thoughts, but I see aelynn00 pretty much nailed it. For those who said this was on par or better than 300, I don't know what movie you were watching but I couldn't disagree more. 300 was epic and left and impression that will be hard to top. This movie? Better than Clash of the Titans, but only by a bit.

Immortals suffers from trying too hard and for trying to be something it simply wasn't.

I loved it. I didn't care much for 300. My wife even loved it and she normally doesn't care for these kinds of movies. Too each their own I guess.

Haven't seen this. And really don't plan on it. I normally would litter this thread with a post like this, but with all the comparisons to 300 and clas of the titans, I felt it relevant to weigh in. I did not care for 300. It seemed like a lot of build up for not much pay off. CotT had the opposite problem... No build up for NO payoff. (I actually enjoyed the Percy Jackson movie more.) it is directly because of these two movies that I am skipping immortals.

Anyway, I've decided that since 90-100% of the stuff worth seeing in these types of movies are in the trailers, I'll just keep to them and save my $10.

I loved it. I didn't care much for 300. My wife even loved it and she normally doesn't care for these kinds of movies. Too each their own I guess.

I'd be interested in hearing more about what you liked about this movie and didn't like about 300.

From my perspective, this movie was very slow and had a lot of pointless meanderings that ultimately didn't go anywhere.

I never felt connected with Theseus and never saw him as a "hero." In fact, when you really think about his actions, they were extremely selfish and in my opinion he never "led his people" in a true manner of leadership, nor did he make the decision himself as Zeus was waiting for him to do. Zeus had to spell it out for him and tell him to do it. Beyond that, his mother had true faith, but he had to see and feel to believe.

Stephen Dorff... totally a throw away character... bordering on filling the roll of a Wayans brother in this movie.

Athena seemed miscast... and all I could think is "when is she going to turn into a Transformer."

Perhaps the worst of it was the set and prop design and quality. From the titans being bound with modern day concrete rebar in their mouths to the beast having a helmet and gauntlets made of barbed wire (not to be invented for another 3000 years), to the closeup of Zeus where you could see the unfilled air bubbles in the helmet of a god, to the obvious and repeated use of rubber items in place of metal (I understand this needs to be used from time to time, but you could make an effort not to make it completely obvious). Don't get me started on the modern that was bedazzled with the the bedazzler. And Hyperion's helmets looked like a sea anemone had sex with a crab.

Phaedra served no purpose whatsoever aside from showing her butt on the big screen and Theseus lost a major tactical advantage for one night of sex. Lame.

We spent half the movie looking for the bedazzler bow that was used 3 times... primarily just to knock holes in a wall...

The ONE character who really stood out was Luke Evans as Zeus. He exuded more passion and had more depth than every other character in the movie combined.. Screw Theseus and his lame storyline (the end where he is shown to be a hero was almost appalling), I want to know more about Zeus and what motivates him and what he is doing!

I will say again, the fight scene near the end with the gods fighting the titans was one of the most viscous (maybe a bit too gory) fights I have EVER seen on film and it made you want to stand up and cheer. It was the one saving grace for this movie in my opinion. I love to see ass-kicking like that and man, did the gods deliver!

Haven't seen this. And really don't plan on it. I normally would litter this thread with a post like this, but with all the comparisons to 300 and clas of the titans, I felt it relevant to weigh in. I did not care for 300. It seemed like a lot of build up for not much pay off. CotT had the opposite problem... No build up for NO payoff. (I actually enjoyed the Percy Jackson movie more.) it is directly because of these two movies that I am skipping immortals.

Anyway, I've decided that since 90-100% of the stuff worth seeing in these types of movies are in the trailers, I'll just keep to them and save my $10.

I can understand where you are coming from and if you didn't think 300 delivered, you are unlikely to think this one does (although streetjudge didn't care for 300, and like Immortals). I will say, the fight at the end (although not really "delivering") was almost worth the price of admission alone. I would LOVE to see a behind the scenes documentary on how those scenes were created.

I saw it in 3D and I can say this:

Con-3D wasn't done right at all,friggin' Conan was better!

Pro-good film,fun and well done fantasy film akin to the 60's Sinbad movies same as 300,no Oscar winner surly but fun nonetheless.
I also liked the portrayal of Zeus in that he's ether been a wizened old man or some ripped body builder,here he took the guise of an old fart to go mingle with the humans but was a pretty normal looking,utter bad-assed mofo when he was a God,the kinda guy I'd be happy to follow.

And I may be nuts but that ending....kinda wide open for another one,no?

If you enjoy those old Sinbad films as a kid like I did then you'll wanna check this out :thumbsup

I said this in the other thread, I think it bears repeating here:

I want my $10 back.

It was that bad.

Art, everything you said, ditto.

The bow was a big deal, they found it, lost it a bunch of times as if it didn't matter, used it to put some holes in the walls, and then just threw it back in a stone again. And THIS was one of the main plotlines?

Theseus didn't do anything unless he was told to, he seemed to just follow people around, and then he just basically said " WE CAN DO IT! " before leading them into a 300-copied fight. My boyfriend was offended that they even said " Their numbers will count for nothing in the pass! ". Seen it before. 300 did it better.

The one night stand with Phaedra and Theseus was incredibly stupid. ( And it wasn't even her butt, just for the record :lol ) This was also another main plot point ( Hyperion wanting the Oracle ), that was dropped after this event.

Basically... anything that happened in the movie didn't matter. Though, I guess if they simply left it as Hyperion wanting to fight, it would've been too much like 300...which probably would've been in the interest of the movie.

However, I was also erked by the quality of the costumes. Again, I loved Athena's 'cause it was pretty, but the rest just looked too fake and cheesy. Whenever I saw Hyperion's 'helmet' I could just picture someone from here sanding it down and airbrushing it. :lol I have no idea what it was supposed to look like ( was someone supposed to have sculpted that for him? Was it supposed to be a trophy of a slain leviathan? ), but I still think it was a costume dept. fail.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back