3D Printed Batarang/Dark Knight Bat Symbol

Celtic007

Sr Member
I've been wanting to get a bat symbol to display infront of my Begins and Dark Knight cowls. My original idea was to put a decal or something along those lines with the name of the movie, Batman Begins or The Dark Knight, on the bat symbol signifying the cowls. I know that coofunkcurly made some great Begins batarangs, but since his have the screen accurate hump on the middle, i wasn't sure how the decal would look. I decided I'd try to make my own. Then, I noticed something when I was watching the Dark Knight on Tv, his rangs in that movie had no hump:
darkknightbatarang.jpg

I decided if I was going to make the effort of making a flat bat symbol, I might as well make it the right size as the batarang.
I made a 3D model in Blender and got it printed.
Heres the printing:
DSCN0743.jpg

DSCN0744.jpg

DSCN0745.jpg

DSCN0746.jpg

Looking at it now and comparing it to the screen show, I've noticed my beveled edges are as beveled as they should be, but I'm alright with that.

Heres a quick mock up of what I had in mind in displaying it in front of a cowl (in this pic its just taped to a small piece of metal rod)

DSCN0747.jpg

DSCN0748.jpg

I was also thinking of making a larger one and get the movie titles recessed in the print it self, looking something like this:
darkknightlogo.jpg

Since I only have the 1 printing and have 2 cowls, I'm gonna need to make a cast. I've never done this before, but for a one piece mold like this it shouldn't be to bad. I was thinking of getting this Smooth On starter kit. I figure that should have a enough to make a couple.
Pourable Silicone Starter Kit: Smooth-On OOMOO® & Smooth-Cast® 300

Anyone have any experience using this? Good choice?

Last edited:
Also, does anyone know the correct length for the larger batarangs?
I saw the Noble Collection one is 9". Is that accurate?

Ok, cool. Thanks endoskeleton. :thumbsup
I saw 9" but wasn't sure if that was the entire case that the rang came in or just the rang. Looks like that was the case dimension.

I've got some new models. I redid the smaller one to make the edges more prominent like the real ones.
batarang3d.jpg

I also tried adding the hump. The hump was actually pretty hard to get right. Its not perfectly smooth, but if I get it printed I would probably bondo and smooth it out in.
batarangfolding3d.jpg

I've also adjusted them to the correct size of 7.5" long.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back