Master Replica Vader FX grips are very sticky

I had the same on my 6-7 year MR ep3 anakin and MR ep5 Vader.
Unfortunately it is the breaking down of the plastic. Seems that it can not be fixed. Where can I find replacements for those t-tracks?
Up to now I do not have in my Hasbro Mace (2 years old)

All of my MR sabers with the T-track grips have this problem from one degree or another. I just tried SurferGeek's solution on a 2005 Anakin ROTS and it worked like a charm. I then immediately tried it on a 2007 Luke ANH, and it's not working like a charm. You would think the older saber would be harder to clean, but it seems there are factors other than age at work. My advice is to make sure you've really got the bulk of the gunk off, using adhesive remover and a rag or even scraping it off with some kind of plastic tool, before you use the melamine sponge. Don't try to rub with the sponge too hard, or it will disintegrate in the blink of an eye. Just wipe outback and forth, lightly. If the stickiness isn't going away, that means there's too much gunk remaining, so go back to the adhesive remover and scraping. It's hard work! I have my doubts about applying a sealant afterwards. Wouldn't a new coat of gunk just form again under the sealant? If we knew more about what triggers the breakdown, we would have a better idea how to deal with it. It's amazing that MR didn't check into the durability of this material before using it, and that they continued to use it till the very end. I really hope Hasbro is using a different material.

Hey Guys, I had the same problem and used Greased Lighting and a micro cloth. A household cleaner you can get at your local store. It took if off and i have not had the problem since. Good luck

I finally got around to cleaning mine. I had a Vader and Luke ESB FX that were sticky. The Luke was very sticky. I used alcohol pads from the first aid kit. The Luke saber cleaned up quickly. The Vader was not as sticky by comparison but it was tougher to clean. It took a lot more pads to remove the sticky feel but both are now clean.

Mine is seeing a similar problem, not super sticky right now, but anything like lint and things will stick to it. I did the alcohol cleaning and it worked ok, but I think that will hasten the breakdown as well. Maybe in a few years, replacement.

I'm curious if Gino or Marv t-tracks will have the same issue in the future. The MR Force FX sabers have a more rubbery material than Gino & Marv t-tracks though.

I finally got around to cleaning mine. I had a Vader and Luke ESB FX that were sticky. The Luke was very sticky. I used alcohol pads from the first aid kit. The Luke saber cleaned up quickly. The Vader was not as sticky by comparison but it was tougher to clean. It took a lot more pads to remove the sticky feel but both are now clean.

This worked perfect. My Vader grips were ubber sticky. Three or four Alcohol pads from my first aid kit which just happened to be three feet away when I red this and they were clean as can be.

Then just a little buffing/rubbing with a soft cloth to shine the chrome up afterword, clean up the alcohol clouding, etc.

Looks great.

I'm curious if Gino or Marv t-tracks will have the same issue in the future. The MR Force FX sabers have a more rubbery material than Gino & Marv t-tracks though.

Hope this helps but both my t-track as well as what Marv sells have zero chance of suffering from stickiness.
I think it's a problem with just the rubber coating on the MR grips breaking down.

My 2 MR Vader FX saber grips are a little sticky, but my Yoda AOTC FX grips are hella-sticky.

I tried rubbing alcohol to no avail. I noticed it as I was packing my FX sabers for move, I'm anxious to try the magic eraser on them when they get unpacked.

If I'm understanding correctly, MR used an enjection-molded plastic grip and then coated it with a rubberized spray? And it's the rubber coating breaking down, not the actual plastic grip itself?

Someone else mentioned rubbing alcohol did not work either.

I wonder what's different in the First Aid kit Alcohol wipes because they worked great? The ones I have say "One prep pad saturated with 70% Isopropyl."

My Vader grips look and feel great now.

Hope this helps but both my t-track as well as what Marv sells have zero chance of suffering from stickiness.
I think it's a problem with just the rubber coating on the MR grips breaking down.

That is good to know. Being solid plastic I was thinking these will last for a long time. The vintage cupboard ones held for a long I guess

If I'm understanding correctly, MR used an enjection-molded plastic grip and then coated it with a rubberized spray? And it's the rubber coating breaking down, not the actual plastic grip itself?

My 2 MR Force FX Vader sabers are ok, just a very tiny stickiness on them, nothing compared to what I've seen/heard from others. Though wish they had used the same plastic t-tracks they used on the MR Stormie blaster, those are ABS and in a way better than these rubberized ones. The MR blaster t-tracks are as new, so I guess you might be right.

I have some MR sabers, my Vader one has recently become tacky on the black rubber at the bottom of the handle, but my Luke EpIV one is REALLY bad. I had them tucked away in the corner for a while, recently came to pick them up to show them to someone and was mystified by the stickiness! Thanks for the posts on this forum, I'll have a clean of it and see how it turns out.

The less said about my Luke ROTJ one which has just stopped working altogether though the better... :-(

I had noticed this problem on my MR AOTC Anakin, and tried several methods of "cleaning" them, but to no avail...in some cases, the cleaning made it worse.
I put the hilt under a magnifying glass and immediately saw what looked to be a filmy build up on the grips...I basically took a razor blade and very carefully scraped down the length of the grip...what came off the grip was disgusting! it was a sticky, gooey, yellowish residue...it looked like something my grandfather would clean out of his pipe or something.
After I was done scraping, I immediately felt, and saw the difference...the grips were like new again. I will be going back at them again to clean them with some of the suggested methods in this thread, but I find myself wondering what that residue was. I guess it's possible that it was the "coating" originally applied to the grips breaking down with use...It was converted to a luxeon 7 or 8 years ago, and since then has been handled A LOT...so I suppose it could also be residue from contact with skin...oils and sweat over time...who knows.

I have the exact same problem on my Darth Vader MR saber! I'll try the cleaning process as soon as I'll get the mr clean sponge! Stay tuned..

Someone else mentioned rubbing alcohol did not work either.

I wonder what's different in the First Aid kit Alcohol wipes because they worked great? The ones I have say "One prep pad saturated with 70% Isopropyl."

My Vader grips look and feel great now.

Quoting myself is weird but try the first aid pads. They worked great.

Quoting myself is weird but try the first aid pads. They worked great.

If you do use the pads, do not get discouraged if you do not get results right away.

I'll quote myself too...

I probably used about 10 pads till all the stickiness was gone on the Vader grips.

I'll try also this! Does anybody know some online place where to buy MrClean without spending a fortune in shipping, maybe in europe or UK?

Why do you need the Mr Clean pads if you are going to try the first aid alcohol pads?

Also, the alcohol pads are just convenient, but you should be able to get the same affect with a bottle of rubbing alchohol and apply/re-apply to some sterile gauze or lint free rag.

Last edited:
Why do you need the Mr Clean pads if you are going to try the first aid alcohol pads?

Also, the alcohol pads are just convenient, but you should be able to get the same affect with a bottle of rubbing alchohol and apply/re-apply to some sterile gauze or lint free rag.

Just wanted a comparison in effect after applying, since the darth vader grips show very little area and now on the Yoda Fx hilt sickyness is starting:cry and the surface there is much bigger and evident. Just for this reason:confused

My 2 vader savers came out the loft today all sticky and I found this thread.
What has worked so far was to carefully sponge the grips, dry fully, talc them. Blow the talc and brush off, actually rubs it in. Then sponge lightly again with a damp sponge.
i imagine I will need to do this from time to time but they are not sticky now, they will continue to breakdown over time.

As a figure and AFV modeller, this is all too common and usually due to the chemicals in the rubber. Often rubber tyres and tracks disintegrate over time when stored, we call it sweating. The parts eventually break down and fall apart, pretty poor show by MR when you look at the prices and people collected these, they obviously did not try the sustainability of the rubber over a period of time before use

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back