Super-Duper Detailing the ERTL Star Destroyer

bobbyfett

Hi all,
I wanted to share some pics with you guys of my most recently finished project, the ERTL Star Destroyer. I built it for someone who asked for an upgraded and lit version of the stock kit. So, to fulfill this I spent a couple months adding thousands of evergreen stock pieces and kit parts to the kit. He didn't need the detailing to be 100% accurate to the studio models or anything crazy like that. He just wanted it to look nicer than the stock version. To light it I used about 12 feet of .265 64 strand FO cable and nine white LEDs. Here are the pics:
Building progress: www.starwarsmodels.com/sdprog.html
Not lit: www.starwarsmodels.com/stard.html (second one down)
Lit: www.starwarsmodels.com/stardf.html (second one down)
Enjoy. :)

my god,

that is the difference between a model and 'screenlook'. fantastic.

Can I suggest you slip some CTB gel over the tail lighting exhausts
(it will correct the blue to almost white). That's my only suggestion.

Otherwise, brillliant. love to see a a death star.

Thanks guys. Lots of work, but definately worth it. :)
HAL, the LEDs are actually a very nice clear white just like in the film, only they look blue because I had to adjust my camera settings white balance to get a good exposure in the dark. I got some good shots, just the lights look blue. :unsure Maybe some day I'll go crazy enough to attempt the Death Star. :D First I have to regain my eyesight after all the closeup work on this one. :wacko

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back