My first build attempt ever.

It's foam 3mm. Used the pep files, but didn't scale em up. This one will undoubtedly become a practice run. But it was fun to do. Top of the head is a pain in the ass.

Exactly right. You'll improve over time just keep at it.

As for tips, are you cutting angles on the edges of joining pieces? If not that will definitely have better results.

I'm cutting angles on some pieces but not all of them (joining). Biggest problem I'm having is the top of the helm on each front corner is boxy. Also for the life of me, I can't get a nice flush seam with the face plate and the back of the helm. But it does fit! Snug, which is good, but not too tight.

The heat form might help contour the dome. The top corners look too boxy. Will it reactivate the hot glue?

I did melt the glue alittle when I did it. yes it will reactivate you glue So you would have to be careful with it. If you are going to start over though you should shape it before gluing so there wont be any stress on the foam and glue. But as everyone else said, you are doing great. My first build was boxy but also deformed. with practice you will get better. I am not that good yet lol..but I am practicing and I have noticed how much better I am gluing and cutting after redoing pieces 4 or 5 times lol. Keep it up.

Last edited:
I'm cutting angles on some pieces but not all of them (joining). Biggest problem I'm having is the top of the helm on each front corner is boxy. Also for the life of me, I can't get a nice flush seam with the face plate and the back of the helm. But it does fit! Snug, which is good, but not too tight.

for those corners, Are you cutting a 45 degree angle on both connecting foam pieces? if you are, maybe cut it at a less angle so that you dont get a 90 degree angle. but then you would have to heat form it..wow..Im actually looking at my helm as I typing this and will probably do it over lol..I have to do the same:lol

Way to jump in there Jobiwan! A great start!
Good teachers here, but they'll let you learn from your mistakes as well! (Time proven best method going!)

Way to jump in there Jobiwan! A great start!
Good teachers here, but they'll let you learn from your mistakes as well! (Time proven best method going!)

Couldn't agree w/ you more. For guys doing foam helms w/ detached faces plates. Do you construct the entire helm as one piece and then remove the face or do 2 pieces. Man that fit of the faceplate w/ the back is a puzzling mystery, lol.

Couldn't agree w/ you more. For guys doing foam helms w/ detached faces plates. Do you construct the entire helm as one piece and then remove the face or do 2 pieces. Man that fit of the faceplate w/ the back is a puzzling mystery, lol.

I havent seen a foam helm with a removable face plate yet. Maybe you can be the first to do it. I know that normal pepakura helms have it but foam would be hard to make the form stay perfectly aligned..If you get it please share how you did it.

I havent seen a foam helm with a removable face plate yet. Maybe you can be the first to do it. I know that normal pepakura helms have it but foam would be hard to make the form stay perfectly aligned..If you get it please share how you did it.

Thanks Semper! I cut the face plate somewhat and glued it flush w/ the back. That seemed to really correct the overall shape a lot. Obviously, it's far from perfect but I feel like I'm on the right track for the next helm. I was looking at a few of the res/bondo helms and did the face plate separate because I didn't know any better. Bottom line....the foam won't hold it's shape in two pieces. At least, not that I can figure out yet. Making it all one piece makes sense I just missed the obvious because Ive never done this before. Thanks again for the heads up and tips.

Well done for making the giant leap into your first build.....I am still hanging back myself, but hopefully I'll be jumping in to join you soon.

Happy days :)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back