SS Buck Rogers Starfighter

Basically if you want to get something out there in this field you better do it fast or loose out on the thin opportunities that this stuff offer.

I was looking for one of the first run kits for ever. It didn't come about. So this is the one I'd like to get. I'll have to get the money together closer to Christmas or early 2007 though.

I pm'ed abihsot offered to talk off line gave my phone number.

This IS NOT a recast of the JIM KEY kit. My details will and can prove it. I know it shares the same bloodline 1st or 2nd second generation pull from heartland molds. It may even share the flaws that are in Jim Keys pull as they both share simular blood lines. All I know is i found/added and replaced no less that 50 indiviual kit parts on the casting I used.

I have been contacted by the guys that provided the original decals and pilot figure for the original kit and am going to take them up on ther generous offer and use them for this run.

If its a recast why wouldnt I just copy them.. gimme a break. 3 posts to your name and your throwing out the 'R" word like you are to sole owner to the Unversal Heartland molds himself.

You bought a retooled casting of a starfighter for $3500.00 (as listed on JK web site) It did not include the the film used figure because the owner will not release it for replication. Ive seen it and its quite different then the artists representation that you have and what I have been offered to use on my kit.

So I'm going back to the garage and wait your call.

Guys, back to work.

S

I've been reading this, thinking about this, and the more I think about it, the more PO'd I get. Here we are, putting our butts out on a limb financially so everyone who has been trying to find one of these, myself included, can enjoy the kit and we get slammed with the infamous "R" word, with ZERO justification, just as things really start cranking. This is REALLY, TRULY one of things I HATE about this hobby.

Let me say this to clarify even more on the heritage of the SF we used as the basis for our kit. We were asked by the collector who made this available for us to purchase, at no small amount of money, NOT to show pics of the master casting as it was unique in certain aspects as it could be ID'd with him. We honored that wish, and we will continue to do so. Hell, we even had to DESTROY that investment, much to my chagrin, with the molding process. Ask ANYONE who has a real UHL pull, be it SF, Viper, Raider, etc, and they'll tell you that’s pretty much par for the course. They are fragile, and the weight of the rubber, age of material, locking etc pretty much guarantee that you'll be pulling shattered crap from a beautiful original piece. But, it was the only way to make a new kit happen. We bit the bullet and did that, since the JK kit had fallen from the edges of the earth, apparently never to be seen from again. Like I've said before, we busted hump to make this the BEST possible kit, and I think I said "We did our best to get this at the lowest price we could to put it in more folks hands without making it a pile 'o poo." We wanted to make a kit of this subject available to ALL, and if that tweaks your nose because of what you dropped on your master, that’s just your own sour grapes, that does not give you the right to call "recaster" with NO evidence. If you are confused about what recaster means on this forum, take a look at the TOS, do a search for the infamous recaster thread that shows up every few months, and educate yourself. I hate to break it to you, but we no more own the "rights" to the SF in general than you do. You bought a version of the SF from JK, and that’s it. We do have some small rights to this incarnation, in that it is our derivative work of the original, just as you have your moral rights to the JK kit as owner of the master and any derivative from that kit. Making ours does not make us anymore “recasters” than Jim Key or yourself, as we both started with a kit from the Heartland molds.

RE: your comment abihsot: "It seems what people find acceptable depends on who does it or how desirable the subject is"

Let me reccomend that you stop with the inflammatory statements. Calling recaster and making statements like that with no evidence is a quick way to banning in this forum, or at the least not ever being taken seriously or worse as a pot stirrer, let me again suggest that you research the forum definition of recaster. Unless Jim Key's run used black resin with some other unique very distinguishing colors, you need to take a step back, rethink what you are saying, and admit that you may be wrong. I'd still LOVE to see your pics, I'm guessing that I will not, because you know that I'll tear the differences, the important differences from a common heritage source, absolutely apart. ItÂ’s easy to snipe from hiding, so stand up, show your pics. From your understanding, the JK kit was not done in a black resin, and a stinky assed resin at that, correct? Well, the master we used was from mostly super stinky black resin, probably worse quailty than any other resin IÂ’ve ever seen, which makes me think it was as old as it should be. I think you now need to rethink your accusation, look at the posted pics, and then look at your master. So, would you like to recant your shouts of "RECASTER"?

As far as I'm concerned, this matter is closed. I know in my heart this is not a recast, and more importantly know that any evidence to the contray does not exist because it is as unique as it can be being a pull from a set of studio molds. Next person who wants to call me a "recaster", name the time and place in CO and I'll be there. We'll work it out face to face, and you'll see that with my evidence you are wrong. You as loser will get to buy me a steak dinner. You better have your ducks in a row on that one or bring at least $50, as I like Ruths Chris and you can watch me eat, as I have NEVER recasted anything, even for personal use, without getting permission first. If you want to drop that bomb on me and my personal honor and reputation, then I've had enough of this and say lets take it face to face and discuss it like adults do, with evidence, and not just throw labels, derogatory labels at that, around without basis. At least I'll get a steak dinner out of your ingonrance. LetÂ’s see how big a talker you are in slinging accusations when you're not hiding behind internet anonymity and are faced with FACTS and the possibilty of having to acknowledge you were wrong via a steak dinner.

I do have a question for the mods though. A 4 month member with no other posts, ZERO contribution to the forum, and no evidence, attacking me and the investment in blood sweat tears and treasure we put in to this project so that people could get a kit, well, that makes me want to ask you mods WHY do people like this have the ability to post? Should there not be a zero post count in x months of membership, account is automatically terminated policy? I'm all for at least introducing yourself before attacking people, and I think that the board should be as well. As one of the talk hosts here in Denver says, “I like to tell you where I sit before I tell you where I stand”, and maybe new members should be required to at least post closely to new membership, “hey, this is me, I like this”, etc. Just something as a long time member that has REALLY started to bother me now, and after this even more so.

Time to get back to work; I'm done with the Boss's list and on my way to Steves to pour more.

Ryan

It sucks to be accused of recasting or in my case being accused of price rape. (I was accused of gouging with my $55 mini Galactica kit.) That really got me riled up. It's hard to focus when you're that miffed. It's hard to do quality work when you're that agry too.

Definatly try to blow off some steam before you get back to casting. Casting is enough of a hassle as it is when you're happy.

Mayby a Tequilla shot or something.

OK, Lets get this back on track... :lol

Ouick and glue on up so we can see what one of these bad boys looks built up.
I'm dieing to see one of these together.

You guys did a great job on it.

I can't wait to get mine.
Thanks guys.
Lynn

There are always guys who will complain., even if it's free. These people are the exception not the rule.
The only sad thing is how it effects the hobby. When nothing gets done, and guys like me can't enjoy these pieces. Or worse not being to tell anybody about these great kits.

Thanks Ryan & Steve for putting in the time.
I've already shown my appreciation.

Max

I am extremely sorry for causing a row and accusing Steve of recasting. I do not lurk here and did not see the previous interest post, I was directed here from another forum. From what I read from this thread I took it that Steves kit was a cleaned up cast produced from the JK masters but it seems this was made from a different sourse and has nothing to do with them. All that was needed was to explain this instead of just dismissing me by telling me I don't know what I'm talking about so shut up abihsot, however I did not rant at anyone.

I know I do not own any rights to the Thunder Fighter I never said I did. The one who told Steve I had painted the masters and was not going to mould them was wrong as this is exactly what I was going to do. I did not intend to buy a $3500 garage kit but it seems that is what I have done and that is just my bad luck I shouldn't have took my time. Good luck with the kit and I hope you can forgive me for any ill feelings I have caused.

<div class='quotetop'>(abihsot @ Oct 1 2006, 06:22 PM) [snapback]1330191[/snapback]</div>
I am extremely sorry for causing a row and accusing Steve of recasting. I do not lurk here and did not see the previous interest post, I was directed here from another forum. From what I read from this thread I took it that Steves kit was a cleaned up cast produced from the JK masters but it seems this was made from a different sourse and has nothing to do with them. All that was needed was to explain this instead of just dismissing me by telling me I don't know what I'm talking about so shut up, however I did not rant at anyone.

I know I do not own any rights to the Thunder Fighter I never said I did. The one who told Steve I had painted the masters and was not going to mould them was wrong as this is exactly what I was going to do. I did not intend to buy a $3500 garage kit but it seems that is what I have done and that is just my bad luck I shouldn't have took my time. Good luck with the kit and I hope you can forgive me for any ill feelings I have caused.
[/b]

Well, I think this was a big step in the right direction and a good lesson not to jump in and spout off to quickly. Thank you for doing this. It speaks of character.

Mark

OK, now that we are getting this thread back on its intended track....

Mount points - The main mount points for the Hartland model were on the sides (the panels with the Earth Defense Directorate logos were the hatch covers), the bottom, and the rear. I don't believe there was a top mount poit. For the rear mount, the engines would be removed, the lights disconnected and this 'Y' shaped yoke attached to the mount point inside the body. The engines could be slid over the yoke so it looked like they were still attached. This way, the mount could be placed on on of the standard model movers, but still have its weight distributed evenly. The bottom mount was towards the rear of the ship, about where the cockpit ends. The Hartland models were all hollow so that allowed for the side mount points being so far forward. When I mounted my Jim Key version a couple of years ago, it was mounted from the bottom, right near where the step down is. This is a heavy sucker and needs a lot of support.

Scale - Based on the size of the figure included in the kit, the scale will be around 1/20th. But in reality, it will be more like 1/18th, since the pilot in the kit is undersized. See below.

The pilot - The pilot Steve and Co. are offering is a copy of the pilot I made for Jim Key. Jim offered it towards the end of his run and I don't know how many actually got out there before he stopped offering it. And I actually have the masters for the pilot (only). When I got my Starfighter, I decided to add different cockpit detail to the model. I didn't do the research that Steve and Co. did, I just made up some stuff. For the figure, I used a Tamiya 1/20th scale F-1 driver figure along with an Obi-Wan Kenobi head from a Phantom Menace action figure. At the time, and with the references that I had, I could tell that there was a pilot, but couldn't figure out the exact size and details. I figured since I tricked out the cockpit and it isn't 'screen accurate', I just had to make the pilot look good. So I guessed on the size.

Since then, I have an opportunity to compare my figure to an actual one from a Hartland miniature. Turns out their's was a sculpt, not a kit figure like the Viper pilot Apogee created for Galactica. And he is much larger than mine. He really fills out the open space in the cockpit. Very little in the way of detail and the helmet looks like a leftover from a Roman Legion costume.

I am planning on redoing another pilot based on the new information. He'll be bigger and fill in the cockpit more, but will still have more detail and a better helmet than the original. I'm going to try and get it done by......well, soon.....hopefully. If anybody is interested in it, I'll send it to Steve for molding.

Color - It looks off white on screen, but is more of a beige color. The optical process took some of the color out and the Hartland guys would compensate for that by adjusting the paintjob.

The link below will take you to a site that has a scan of the instructions for the Centuri Rocket kit. The instructions featured a 'behind the scenes' look at the miniatures for show and there are some photos and some drawings in there as well as a write up on the Universal Hartland facility.

http://www.dars.org/jimz/cen5335.htm

StarshipBuilder had some photos of the Starfighter I built when it was on display at the 25th Anniversary screening in Hollywood a couple of years ago. I can't post here yet, but I'll see what I can dig up.

Hope this helps....

GK

Guys, we have PMed and we have worked things out. There are things on the mastern patter that I used that are different than on his, so same history different but different caster.

He is a guy of great charecter and this speaks volumes. I say welcome to the Studio scale forum. Sorry guys I had info that the person who bought the JK BR masters had built it hence forth the kit. Trust me i have a hundred other things i would of done.

We are doing a limited run so when I'm done i'm going to be done and i have offered help to accurize his castings so he can jump on board in the future with a fresh run of our favorite Thunder Fighter.

Problem is the reference. I was working off pictures that I thought were of the real minature but only found out they were a realy good build up of the Jim Key version. I actually changed my molding master to match the reference pictures I had. Finding out tonight... that I moded an actual pull from the original mold let alone destroyed it in molding. Remember.. greese the inside of the fiberglass jacket prior to pouring 100 oz of RTV.

The Buck Rogers, Battlestar Galactica reference is close hold info at best.. I know there is some really good stuff out there but it indeed close hold info.

Mark, is there naything you can share to help us nail the painting on this sucker?

I also want to thank Mark for letting us use his designs for the decal sheets. Thanks buddy. Also PM sent reference Email from Dan L.

Thanks.
Steve

<div class='quotetop'>(swpropmaker @ Oct 1 2006, 07:48 PM) [snapback]1330242[/snapback]</div>
Guys, we have PMed and we have worked things out. There are things on the mastern patter that I used that are different than on his, so same history different but different caster.

He is a guy of great charecter and this speaks volumes. I say welcome to the Studio scale forum. Sorry guys I had info that the person who bought the JK BR masters had built it hence forth the kit. Trust me i have a hundred other things i would of done.

We are doing a limited run so when I'm done i'm going to be done and i have offered help to accurize his castings so he can jump on board in the future with a fresh run of our favorite Thunder Fighter.

Problem is the reference. I was working off pictures that I thought were of the real minature but only found out they were a realy good build up of the Jim Key version. I actually changed my molding master to match the reference pictures I had. Finding out tonight... that I moded an actual pull from the original mold let alone destroyed it in molding. Remember.. greese the inside of the fiberglass jacket prior to pouring 100 oz of RTV.

The Buck Rogers, Battlestar Galactica reference is close hold info at best.. I know there is some really good stuff out there but it indeed close hold info.

Mark, is there naything you can share to help us nail the painting on this sucker?

I also want to thank Mark for letting us use his designs for the decal sheets. Thanks buddy. Also PM sent reference Email from Dan L.

Thanks.
Steve
[/b]

Sorry, no help with the painting.
I'm recovering from cancer surgery and now the post op meds and chemo. I'm trying to get back into things but wear out easily. I have never in my life been so worn out. And I survuved hell week for SEAL training so that should give you an idea of how I feel.
You can try e-mailing Chris Pappas as he knows many people that may be able to assist you.

Mark

I'm late to the party but I'm very pleased to see you all worked it out quite well yourselves. :thumbsup

<div class='quotetop'>(Treadwell @ Oct 2 2006, 03:15 AM) [snapback]1330264[/snapback]</div>
I'm late to the party but I'm very pleased to see you all worked it out quite well yourselves. :thumbsup
[/b]

I am glad too. I will admit to having to go back and re-edit my 2nd post prior to actually posting, but I took my own advice and tried not to post anything TOO mad without walking away and coming back to it. WAY too much venom in the first draft, the re-edit was much more constructive. Thats a good policy I have to keep reminding myself about, write up in word, wait, re-read and if you still feel that way then post it.

Group hug? J/K. :eek

abihsot: I'm glad you worked things out through Steve, and I'd like to publicly apoligize if I came off too "hot", I was mad, but I should not have let that bleed into the board. Welcome aboard, and I look forward to your future contributions. Become a more active poster, this place will AMAZE you with the contacts, friends and cool goodies you'll land.

Coby: The shot would have been nice, but I can't just stumble back into my house, I gotta drive the 20-25 miles back home, so that was a no-go. I'm a big guy who can hold his liquor, but TaKillYa does just that to me. Instead, I truly DID let it go since I said it was closed in my book, and moved on on the drive to Steves and "let go". I DID bugger the first pull big time, an 82 oz shot down the tubes, but thats from trying to refine working the molds and not any anger or anything. I'm still "learning" the idiosyncracys of these new molds. Thats part of the biatch of new molds, they all have their "tricks" and until you learn them you have a hard time getting consistant quality. Though I've already found my "favs" in the SF molds, the ones I KNOW I can get away with a little abuse or inattention and still get good pulls from. As far as casting being a hassle even when you're happy, well, I guess I'm just a sick twisted FREAK as it calms me almost as much as working on a good kit does. That, and working for BANANAS is what makes a good resin monkey GREAT. Now, if I could just get Steve to throw in a bottle of Jamison every now and then, I wouldn't have to ferment so many bananas.

Again, everyone, even though I know I almost lost it in my first edit of my post, I'm glad that this did not degenerate into the kind of mess we normally see. Us studio scale fellas got to stick togther and this shows me that maybe, with everything thats been going down and the issues resolved lately that all the negative crap is behind us now, and we are TRULY moving into an era of "New begginings" as Jaime put it, and I for one look forward to being around in and a part of a better board with more positive "vibes", and less crap.

Ryan

Glad to see this ship has come to light, and glad to see everyone is friendly (again. ) :)

I have so little time for this hobby these days I find I have no patience for the politics of studio modeling....so I'm absurdly happy to see we are all in it for the same reasons...the love of recapturing the moment. Is that to "kum-by-ya"?. :p

For what it's worth...I have JP05's casting of the Thunderfighter. This was pulled the same time as Dymerski's (who did a stunning buildup of it a while back) She's rotocast, (to prevent shrinkage I assume) and the details are pretty sharp (though they don't hold a candle to Rob's and Ryan's castings, which look superb. ) If there are any details on this pull that would be in any ways helpful drop me a line and Ill be happy to help. I suspect I have nothing new to offer here, but I thought I would offer. So many people (Ryan, Mark, Steve, Dave, Dave, Chris, Gary, Mark, Mike, etc) helped me so much with the Viper and Raider I would love to start returning some favors.

Cheers :thumbsup

Are these pics of the real SS model?
This is the model I palnned basing mine off of.
If this is a real SS it is mentioned it supposed to be a beige color?
Here is a pic of it with it's mounting port on it's side behind the side decal.

Lynn

The black and white photo is the studio model. The details on the model in the color photos seem to match the Monogram kit.

<div class='quotetop'>(Run Runner @ Oct 3 2006, 08:14 AM) [snapback]1330992[/snapback]</div>
The black and white photo is the studio model. The details on the model in the color photos seem to match the Monogram kit.
[/b]

I really don't thnk that is a Monogram model though. ;)

Lynn

<div class='quotetop'>(Krachenvogel @ Oct 3 2006, 03:16 PM) [snapback]1331261[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(Run Runner @ Oct 3 2006, 08:14 AM) [snapback]1330992[/snapback]
[/b]

The color shots (top and side, at least) are from a Monogram buildup on the Cut TV Man site:
http://www.culttvman.com/jay_barnes__buck_rogers_ships.html
[/b][/quote]

That saddens me, I always thought that was a SS model. I don't remember what site I got them from, but it wasn't Cultmans and it was never mentioned it was a Monogram kit. :unsure

I thought they were the referance pics that were included from the SS kit a while back.

I guess I better find a different painting referance.

Lynn

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back