SS Buck Rogers Starfighter

Hi all, The Thunder fighters are ready.. Kit price is $400 plus $25 for shipping in the US. My Paypal account is saint_g@sbcglobal.net .Your kits will arrive in 1-2 weeks. The kit will contain 18 resin pieces which includes a pilot and decals. For any other info please call or email me. I will have the kit listed on my site in a couple of days.
George T.
www.timeslipcreations.com

Oh, this thread should now be moved to "junkyard"

WERE SHIPPING..... :D :D

Just curious, what is the nominal scale of this thing (i.e., 1/24, 1/16...)? 1/24 would be neat, to match the Viper and Star Wars studio scale models.

<div class='quotetop'>(saintg @ Sep 30 2006, 05:19 AM) [snapback]1329194[/snapback]</div>
Ah Ryan, good little chimp. Get your rest. There is a big pile of bananas waiting for you. :D

George :angel
[/b]

Got my rest. Now I'm tired. No damn bananas waiting for me, you damn LIAR George. :cry

But, I did manage to save a bundle on my car insurance . . . no, thats not it . . . hmmm . . . what was I going to say . . . oh yeah . . . I did manage to crank out some serious SF parts and kits today, Steve hopefully will get some shots tonight, I bailed as soon as 10 PM hit, 12 hour day no breaks, I guess I was a bad monkey with no bananas and a long day . . . must go sleepy soon again, doing at least a half day tomorrow . . . plus the REAL boss's list . . . yeah, I musta been a BAD monkey in a previous life . :D

I will say this, SF's are awfully pretty and damn near angelic :angel in that lovely white resin . . . REALLY makes it worthwhile to see 'em lined up . . . brings a tear to the eye it does . . .

So whos gonna post my pics of the older run SF? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Fry? Fry?

Ryan

<div class='quotetop'>(belleauwood @ Sep 30 2006, 04:51 AM) [snapback]1329186[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(streetjudge79 @ Sep 30 2006, 03:42 AM) [snapback]1329166[/snapback]
Steve, are there going to be decals made for the Earth Directorate insignia?
[/b]

Let me answer for Steve here

Yep, There are going to be decals. Complete with ED emblem and the colors stripes etc etc.

They will be laser printed.

We had looked at outsourcing these through a company in Canada, but found that their stock SF decals at Studio scale were wayyy too small, and after some issues with QC and delivery with other orders placed, and the headaches that ensued, we decided to do it closer to home where we have a lot more control over it and could do it in the correct size without having to go back and forth, which if prior experince with that vendor would have meant a lot of delays.

I'm pouring tomorrow, so when I'm over I'll try and grab some shots of the proof sheet when I take shots of the pulled SF's.

Decals and working out a deal for the use of the pilot, and of course tracking down a few last illusive kit parts, were part of what has taken so long to get this up and runnning, but where we could we tried to drive the cost down without sacrificing quality. Which for those of you on the list will note when George contacts you, I think you'll be shocked at what we are able to get this out the door in high quailty resin to you for, WITH decals, pilot etc. We did our best to get this at the lowest price we could to put it in more folks hands without making it a pile 'o poo. So, no pretty box you're going to throw away anyway, no instructions (You REALLY need them? You're kidding right? Its a fracking hull, canopy, 2 lower winglets, pilot and cannon tips, and you can't figure out how it goes together?), and no other BS frills that do nothing to really get you a kick ass kit but do drive up the price. It was decided that getting and using the BEST resin, RTV, master and replacement kit parts was a bit more of a worthwhile endevour than making pretty box art and charging you for shipping on a box in a box. And I think you'll agree, that was a GREAT way to go.

I know from the master pulls I'm going to be VERY happy with mine. I love how the details are super sharp, and I'm still hoping someone has pics of the earlier runs of SF that were out there so I can SEE the difference. I'm betting they are THAT noticeable.

On that note, wrap you head around this fun little SF fact. The main body of the SF alone, and this is WITHOUT engines, canopy, lower wings and other details (pilot, cannon tips, etc) uses right around 80 fluid ounces of resin. Yep, thats almost 2/3 of a GALLON just for that. I'm guessing it'll be right around a full gallon for the whole SF when its said and done. Now, dutifully WALK to your fridge, pull out your gallon of milk, and hold out your hand to catch your jaw when it dawns on you that "MY GOD. THATS A LOT OF RESIN.". Now, where do you get a pressure vessel BIG enough for that size mold to ship out super crisp and bubble free castings from? Its easy, Steve had the damn thing custom made about 2 years ago for the TIE wing. And it wasn't cheap, let me tell you, but damn if its the ONLY way to get things as big as this as nice as this cast under pressure.

While your brain tries to wrap itself around that, and do the math and figure out what the good resin we use runs and how much $$ the resin alone is, throw this into the mix and I think you'll get the fabled steam out 'o the ears. LOOK at Steves first pic, and then GUESS how much RTV it took to pour THAT much mold. Yeah, go ahead and just guess A LOT.

Sorry, didn't mean to send y'all the the hospital with brain lockup, just reboot, works for winblows and should work fine for your grey matter.

Yep, when George start sending emails I think you'll all be pleasantly suprised at the price point.

Gotta get some sleep, this is one resin monkey who KNOWS what a long day he's got tomorrow.

Ryan

* Edit for big spelling boo boo*
[/b][/quote]

Ryan-

I am confused... you said there was another run of this before that I think I have seen, I think it was Jim Key who made them, is this a recast with modifications of that kit?

I'll let Steve answer in more detail. But, this is NOT a recast. Almost every detail was remove/repaired. The only similarity is the size. Oh, Jim copied his from the studio. So, did Jim recast? :confused Lets take it easy with that kind of talk shall we. Unless you know the full story, keep your comments to your self.
George :p

Cool. Hey dumb question, is there a mounting hole on the model somewhere so I can display it on a base with a rod holding it up? How do you plan to display yours?
Steve

You're saying it doesnt count if someone takes someones else's work and modifies it? You're also saying someone cannot copy an original studio model as this is recasting?

So what is the definition of a recast? What is acceptable and what is not?

A kit like this should get a plexiglass cradle for display. I hate to punch holes into these things. The Salzo X-Wing has the natural hole in the back like the Studio miniature did. I don't know where the mounts were fro the Thunderfighter.

<div class='quotetop'>(streetjudge79 @ Oct 1 2006, 06:41 PM) [snapback]1329954[/snapback]</div>
Abihsot, knock it off.
[/b]

Knock what off? Saintg says Jim Key's is a recast, this is cast from that but it is not a recast because it been changed? Well why does it still look the same?

It seems what people find acceptable depends on who does it or how desirable the subject is.

I'll repost this from the original interest thread, hopefully that'll clear up any confusion.

"My best understanding as far as I can make out of the history or the "pedigree" of the master being used was it was a cast from one of the original WOOD bucks made for the show by Universal-Heartland. Many of the parts and details showed the "normal" deterioration due to being a 2nd generational cast and the type of materials used at the time to make the original casting. Then, as stated above, the master was re-greeblied with correct kit parts to replace the deteriorated ones. It is almost 100% what it SHOULD look like now, after a ton of work and a lot of kit parts. Some parts needed straightening, some needed re-paneling, and just about all of it needed some serious love."

jvasilatos: By "earlier run" I was looking for comparison pics, think the MIM Viper vs Jesse's Viper. NO intent was made to say that this new kit was a recast or a continuation of the JK run, it was simply that I did not know what else to call it other than "the earlier run" as that is what it was. IÂ’ll make sure to call it the Jim Key SF from here on. Hope that clears that up for you.

abihsot: So, you own the Jim Key Masters? Good for you, they were a nice piece AFAIK and I wanted to get one at the time but did not. I have a question for you. Where did Jim Key get *his* masters from? Probably the same place we did for this kit, a pull from heartland molds. How many SS Vipers are there from original molds? 18-20 lowball I'd guess, and how many SS SF's? I have no idea, but I'd guess it be around the same number. So, instead of slinging mud with your first two posts, why don't you post the pictures I've asked for three (now FOUR) times now so EVERYONE can see the differences in the kits? This board is all about contribution, and with the JK SF master you have the unique opportunity to do so by posting pics of it so everyone can see the differences in the kits and make their OWN JUDGEMENT about if this kit was a "recast" as you seem to like to shout from the rooftops or if its a remastered studio. I welcome that challenge, as I know that this is a UNIQUE product in that it doesn't share any closer pedigree with the JK than it came from Universal Heartland originally. I await your post of pictures, and I would welcome POSITIVE INFORMED discussion.

All: Sometimes, this is why I HATE this hobby. You start to crank out a kick ass kit, and someone with an axe to grind (and he DOES have an dog in this fight, he owns the JK masters and probably intended to run more of these at some point to get back the cost of the master) waits until you're on that high of seeing the first pulls out of a mold to start posting this stuff. I mean, it not like this was a sneak announcement, did I not have an interest thread 2 months ago and nada was said then?

Ryan

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back