SS Buck Rogers Starfighter

OK, the very close color for the Thunderfighter is Pantone Solid Uncoated book, 467 U. This came from a paint chip that the original maker still had.

22" long.

This is the look I am going for. starf19.jpg

Jedi, you must be able to find Pantone spray paints in the USA!! No? There might be problems transporting aerosol pressurised cans via air freight....maybe a slow boat if the UK supplier does export. Good luck...check in the US though...could be your best option.

Jedi, you must be able to find Pantone spray paints in the USA!! No? There might be problems transporting aerosol pressurised cans via air freight....maybe a slow boat if the UK supplier does export. Good luck...check in the US though...could be your best option.

Not that I've seen - but my search is far from exhaustive... I can't think of anywhere that will custom mix a color in a spray rattle can... that's why I bought a can from these guys as a test... If it works well I have no issues paying for good supplies :) You get what you pay for... or you get you're money back ;)

Jedi Dade

<div class='quotetop'>(Lynn TXP 0369 @ Nov 7 2006, 12:35 PM) [snapback]1352510[/snapback]</div>

My paint master is still in the works . . . Pics forthcoming in the paint guide I am still working on. Paint guide will include which panels are what . . . including those that have been previously though to be NOT paneled but ARE base on the REAL deal photographs.

I will post this little bit from the guide, listing the paints I'm using, so you can grab them, most are either at Home Depot or wally world, and your local hobby shop. You'll note that most are gloss, for decals sake, and then once you weather you can shoot your dullcoat (or I'd recommend a matte actually) down and weather some more, and seal that too . . .

"Here are the following primary Colors you will need to paint up your ThunderFighter, and the paint key for the next few pages:
Base Hull - Rustoleum “Painters Touch” #1996 Navajo White
Light Hull - Krylon #1504 Ivory Gloss
Grey Hull - Rustoleum “Painters Touch” #1994 Almond
Engine Base - Model Master FS15042 Dark Sea Blue
Engine Highlight - Model Master Acryl 4749 Engine Gray
Cockpit/Cannons - Any brand DARK Gray Primer
Additional Specific Colors as needed
Pilot-white, flesh, armband colors, black
Cockpit- Silver Highlights, Rust weathering (wash/pastels)
Engine Cans - Gold
Specific brands are mentioned as each brand varies somewhat with their version of a given color slightly, for example, Rustoleums Almond is a very different shade than Krylons. For best results, stick to these suggestions unless you would like to custom mix your own colors. For what it is worth, the above recommendations are not made lightly, many hours of research on both vintage photos and test shots were made to try and find the best possible color matches that are complementary with the original color scheme layout and each other."

Hope this lights a fire under some of you . . .

Ryan

Ah, here's the paint guide I was looking for - it was back on page 7 of this thread.

Mark in Okinawa

Ok, on that paint guide . . .

Back then, I was RIDICULED by several supposed "In the Know" people that my colors were "Too Tan". Personally I still like that build and color plate. And I will be displaying it right next to the timeslip one I have and I'm going to build at some point, which will be in studio paint and studio scale.

Now, after a LOT more research and some access to the original painted miniatures and pieces from them, I can honestly say that I was even LIGHTER than the real deal with that palette of colors. So keep that in mind if you are hunting those colors down.

I'm to the point on this to say like a lot of things Studio Scale, paint it as you like that fits in the scheme. Obviously unicorn purple and pink is out, but your interpretation of the white or tan is fine.

As seen on screen (much whiter) is fine, I'll just bust your b a l l s as its not true "studio scale" at that point if you call it a studio scale build. Call it "as seen on screen" from a studio scale cast, and I'm 10000% fine with that. The Chronicles is TOO white even for me, it seems like a crossover of the Battlestar white "Gods" gear and Buck. Which I have seen in the hands of people, and several older build (couch cough GkVFX!) and looks good, if that is what you like, OK. But Chronicles really shouldn't call their SF "Studio" at that point. Its FAR too white for that.

The tan that George gives is spot on to what I've been able to research in the years since that guide, and for what its worth those in the EU have the closest commercial color match for the base tan available off the shelf in the smaller humbrol style tins by Revell as Revell Beige, code 32314 (enamel) and 36314 (Acrylic). I have a few and they are VERY VERY close to the pantone and parts from the originals. From that you will have to work your own mixes to match the other colors of the paint guide, but with that as a start and an available commercial paint line that can be mixed and toned you should be a long way ahead of the old days.

As far as the panel placement in that guide goes, I stand by it even the "believed" panels pattern on the bottom. Still no pictures of that that are usable have really surfaced since then, but . . . I'm pretty confident in what I laid out there. Its sure as hell wasn't all the same base color with no other panels as most have painted over the years. And until I paint the timeslip version in a couple of years, you can all count that no one will release whatever photos they do have showing it as that is quite simply the nature of the SS beast!

Glad to see all the interest out there still, this is STILL one of my favorite McQuarrie designs and out of the show it is the best, most memorable and well executed thing thing to hit the screen from this series besides Erin Gray in spandex of course!

Ryan

Belleauwood
Thanks for the build info, good timing. :thumbsup

BTW the Pantone sprays have arrived so will have a test spray and post a pic.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back