Darkside501st's Iron Man/Tony Stark Gauntlet and Arc Ractor Project

Re: Iron Man/Tonk Stark Gauntlet and Arc Ractor for Halloween

wow.. very realistic, when fully completed will be the best .. great job

Re: Iron Man/Tony Stark Gauntlet and Arc Ractor for Halloween

This is what I am thinking about for a self contained arc reactor:

It will use 4 coin cell batteries that can be easily replaced from the back side without having to take the whole thing apart. It will either be turned on via a reed switch and a magnet so that it is completely hidden or by a slide switch on the bottom so that it is mostly hidden. I have to check on that.

I would like to fit in the brass rings under the coils but the LEDs need room to diffuse their light so I will have to experiment with that.

The back will be contoured to the shape of a chest... since everyones chest is different you may have to modify the shape a little with a dremel or some sand paper to get it to fit you correctly. However, there will be some room for sanding it to a custom fit if you have a flat chest or big huge pecks, lol.

In case you are not aware I used spirit gum to stick the arc reactor to my chest. Just around the outside ring is all you need. I have heard that silicone adhesives (like Telesis 5) are better and wont break down with sweat. The spirit gum is cheap, though, and readily available. Mine held up for several hours. However, if you have the LEDs on the whole time they get warm... not hot, just warm (feels good actually) and that may cause you to perspire a little under the arc reactor since your skin there is not getting any air.

I kind of figured out the cost to make these... The cost will depend on how many people are interested and other things like the reed switch or the slide switch. I am also thinking of a design for a removable 'core'. If I do that, you would be able to twist the core and remove it from the housing. Kind of a cool effect. So let me know what you like or don't like and maybe we can change it or maybe I can offer options to make this affordable for everyone.

Last edited:

Amazing BUILD.. i will definitely be in for a arc.. in regarding the g4's i was going to do the same but they ran 12volts i didn't think the 4 coin cell batteries would last long to powering the arc.. have u tested how long it lasts?

I haven't tested it yet... I will though before ordering in bulk. The estimated math says it should last a few hours but it is hard to find exact specs on the LED setup. The coin battery I am going with has about 650Mah. There are some that go up to 1000Mah but they are thicker and about 2 - 3 times as expensive. You could replace the 650Mah batteries halfway through your 5 hour costume excursion and still be ahead of the game. It is always possible to go with an external power source but then you will have a wire running to your battery pack.

They also offer rechargeable coin cell batteries but they have a faster discharge rate. You could save on cost in the long run but you will probably change the batteries 2 times in the same 5 hour period so you would have to have 3 sets of 4 rechargeable coin batteries for continuous use. The price I give includes a set of batteries.

If anyone is interested I could also wire in a connector so that you have the option of using the coin cell batteries or an external battery pack. I would have to make it small as to avoid increasing the depth of the arc reactor.

As far as the diameter goes... what is your opinion on that... I have read that a lot of people make their arc reactors 4 in wide... the one I made is 3.5 in wide. I didn't think that the 4 in reactor looked right for someone who is the same size as Robert Downey Jr. Now if you are like 6ft or taller then the 4 in reactor might look better on you. Opinions?

Any more movement toward doing a run of these? I would still LOVE to get my hands on one.

FWIW, I think the 4 inches is a more accurate size, though the 3.5 on you also looked good. If you can make them 4 inches without too much extra effort, that would have my vote. But if it's a matter or re-making much of what you already have created, then stick with the 3.5.

Yeah, this is a very busy time of year for me with all the holidays and family coming and going plus my wife is a photographer and this is her busiest season so I am stuck watching our 3 kids quite a bit.

I am still planning to do a run of these. First, since the 'prototype' was rushed for Halloween, I need to go back and clean it up a bit and actually finish it. Then I will show everyone the final product and post an interest thread. I can do a 4" version if enough people vote for it. I think I would do either the 3.5" or the 4" though, not both.

Like I said there are some opinions out there that the arc reactor is 4", including the housing; however, all of the ones I saw on someones chest looked too big. I am not sure what made people think it was 4". I took a pic of myself and supper impossed it over a picture of Tony Stark and the 3.5" is right for me. I think it would be right for anyone else about Robert Downey Jr.'s size (5'8") with a medium build. If you are a large person (6' plus) with a big chest then the 4" would probably look better on you.

So anyways, just subscribe to this thread and I will post back here when I get some time to finish this up. Thanks for your interest.

Whoa!
Awesome.
<3

Great Job Mike. This is awesome. I am following this, outstanding work. You always do it top notch.

Great Job Mike. This is awesome. I am following this, outstanding work. You always do it top notch.
Thanks man... I don't think we have greeted each other on the RPF yet, I am sure I know you from the Sons of the Suns forum. But I haven't been able to get that forum to open in my browser... is it down for good?

Man your arc reactor build really made me smile:)... as if I'm looking at the arc reactor I build 7 months ago... almost exactly the same...:D

-It is powered by watch batteries 3 x 1.5V
-2 color LED's installed (blue and red)

Here... let me show you why it made me smile...:)
(not to threadjack or anything... if you dont like the pics posted, I will remove it... just kindly let me know)
Photo-1426.jpg

Photo-1434.jpg

Photo-1436.jpg

I guess its true what they say... "great minds, think alike" :D:thumbsup

cheers!

That's a pretty good looking custom arc reactor. Good job, definitely one of the better ones I have seen.

I went with pure white LEDs cause I felt that they gave a better movie accurate appearance when compared to the blue LEDs. I was going for an arc reactor as close to the mark 2 reactor as possible. I measured the width of each component to make them as close to the real deal as possible. Also with the 5050 LEDs (33) it is supper bright and gives off as much light as the one in the movie. ;)

I like the decorative ring on the outside of yours... what is it/where did you get it?

I can't wait to get mine finished up and show everyone the final result.

That's a pretty good looking custom arc reactor. Good job, definitely one of the better ones I have seen.

I went with pure white LEDs cause I felt that they gave a better movie accurate appearance when compared to the blue LEDs. I was going for an arc reactor as close to the mark 2 reactor as possible. I measured the width of each component to make them as close to the real deal as possible. Also with the 5050 LEDs (33) it is supper bright and gives off as much light as the one in the movie. ;)

I like the decorative ring on the outside of yours... what is it/where did you get it?

I can't wait to get mine finished up and show everyone the final result.

Thanks darkside...:):thumbsup

You're right about the white LED being more screen accurate and wow!... you really dig deep on the details of your arc... but with so much LED the battery wont last long:confused... is it? :confused

The decorative ring is actually a plumbing material I just picked up from our local hardware store... I really dont know what its called... I guess I need to check it again...:)... however, I just made the details (slit mark) on it using file...

Btw, I am making a new arc reactor (Ironman2 version)... here it is...
Photo-1529.jpg

Its not yet finished but its getting there...

Same as you, am so excited to finally finish this baby...:love:thumbsup

cheers!

Last edited:

The glove looks like it fits very well.

Can you close your fingers and make a FIST, or do your fingers stick up a little?

- Mine stuck out, I couldnt close my fingers into a PUNCHING-FIST.

The glove looks like it fits very well.

Can you close your fingers and make a FIST, or do your fingers stick up a little?

- Mine stuck out, I couldnt close my fingers into a PUNCHING-FIST.

With so much added thickness on the fingers and the palm you cannot make a fist the same way you would if you were just wearing a leather glove but I can make a sort of fist and if this were made of real metal it wouldn't mater cause the person getting hit with the 'half' fist would be hurting like hell. lol, actually, even the resin glove would hurt. Although, I don't think I could take on the Iron Monger with it. :lol

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back