Darkside501st's Iron Man/Tony Stark Gauntlet and Arc Ractor Project

Oops I know this is a double post but since it is my thread I will forgive myself. :D

I just thought you guys might want to see something else I have been working on. Check out the new Link in my signature. Iron Man repulsor kits!

Amazing work as always! Will be checking it out in the junkyard.

Thanks. I just wanted to post a little update here to let you all know I am making some really good progress on my IM repulsor kits and I am almost done with my motorized/servo sound kits as well. I will be finishing them booth up in the next week or so and I will be taking a video of everything to show you all. I am not allowed to post links in this thread but you can fine the repulsors in my signature and for the servo kits just do a search in the JunkYard. I am running out of room in my signature... I will have to think of some other way of showing off my stuff.

Ok guys, I had finished the prototypes on both units then I met with a friend and we got to talking about making the circuit smaller and more efficient. So we remade the circuit with a microcontroller at the center. So needless to say it has taken a little while to get everything worked out but I have uploaded a video to my Youtube channel. You can see that video and check out my threads via the link in my signature.

On a side note. I am making a new arc reactor. Here are some pics so far:

Normally with the triangle arc reactor the LEDs behind the lens are too apparent. You can see the individual spots of light (hotspots). This circuit is designed specifically for the triangle arc reactor it gives the same effect you see in the movie... the center is a little lighter than the outer edge and you can't see any hotspots. The new housing I will build will be much lower profile as well. Hope you like.

That looks great! Interesting how you set up the LEDs like that. If that's still a work in progress then I'd love to see what the finished product would look like!

Good job!

This here is my prototype simple arc reactor... It looks just like the IM3 reactor when worn under your shirt. I have a few aspects of it that I want to change. It is only 3/4 inch deep and I think I can make it even more shallow.

I am thinking of doing a run of them. Anyone interested?

Here are some pics that I took... there are several similar images that have slightly different exposure settings. I was trying to show more of the details. All these pics were taken is a well lit room (my office building - I have 8 - 4' florescent light tubes right over my desk). So it will appear even brighter in a dimmer environment. ;)

Again even the picture that seems like the lights are off was taken is a well lit room but I had to adjust the exposure so that you could see the details of how the light ring emits light from the outside inward. That is why everything else in that pic looks black and the light looks dim. If I were to take a pic of this in the dark then all you would see is a big blue circle. :D

Hey Darkside or anyone for that matter, I just finished doing my first Zabana hand and that was really hard. When I finished it looked okay but the details are still there... more or less. I keep seeing all these pictures of people's cardstock parts and they look almost perfect. Everything seems to be lined up and everything. I have done a few parts but it doesn't seem to be getting better. My helmet is probably the best looking part I have done but the jaw still doesn't line up perfectly. I kept not being to worried about it thinking this can be fixed in one of the later steps, is that true? Should I be to worried about how my parts are looking? How do I get my pep to look that good? One of my biggest problems is things seeming to be to long or to short, like the repulsor ring on the hands, for example, it didn't connect, it was like 1/8 in short. I didn't cut it short, it's like I glued it wrong or something and it just came up short. What would be the cause of this?

Hey Darkside or anyone for that matter, I just finished doing my first Zabana hand and that was really hard. When I finished it looked okay but the details are still there... more or less. I keep seeing all these pictures of people's cardstock parts and they look almost perfect. Everything seems to be lined up and everything. I have done a few parts but it doesn't seem to be getting better. My helmet is probably the best looking part I have done but the jaw still doesn't line up perfectly. I kept not being to worried about it thinking this can be fixed in one of the later steps, is that true? Should I be to worried about how my parts are looking? How do I get my pep to look that good? One of my biggest problems is things seeming to be to long or to short, like the repulsor ring on the hands, for example, it didn't connect, it was like 1/8 in short. I didn't cut it short, it's like I glued it wrong or something and it just came up short. What would be the cause of this?

There are certainly different ways of building the files so two really good pep artists can build the same file two different ways and one may come out with a better result than the other. It helps if you keep in mind that in the 3D world the 'paper' has no thickness at all. The cardstock you are building with does. So there are things you have to think about when you are putting the file together. Like when I built Zabana's hand file and I made the light pod, if I put the sides on around the ring then the pod is too thick and the sides don't match up. So You have to assemble the sides and then glue the ring on top. This makes it a little taller than the 3D model but that is acceptable. I am pretty good with shapes and 'predicting' how things will look if I put them together this way vs that way so I just think about it before I assemble it.

There are certainly different ways of building the files so two really good pep artists can build the same file two different ways and one may come out with a better result than the other. It helps if you keep in mind that in the 3D world the 'paper' has no thickness at all. The cardstock you are building with does. So there are things you have to think about when you are putting the file together. Like when I built Zabana's hand file and I made the light pod, if I put the sides on around the ring then the pod is too thick and the sides don't match up. So You have to assemble the sides and then glue the ring on top. This makes it a little taller than the 3D model but that is acceptable. I am pretty good with shapes and 'predicting' how things will look if I put them together this way vs that way so I just think about it before I assemble it.

that makes a lot of sense about in the 3D model not having the thickness, I'm sure depending the type of paper each person uses will make a huge difference to. Alright so I just need to think about and learn how to adjust to the thickness. I'm using hot glue, do you think it would be best to try a different glue?

I have tried lots of different glues. Hot glue was one of the first and I hated it from the start. What a stringy mess and then it is too thick as well. I now use Aleens' Tacky Glue. To me it is perfect. Sometimes I will use superglue in a gel form if the application calls for it. There are some really small parts that need to have support behind them and the Aleene's glue would not work for that so in that case I use superglue.

I have tried lots of different glues. Hot glue was one of the first and I hated it from the start. What a stringy mess and then it is too thick as well. I now use Aleens' Tacky Glue. To me it is perfect. Sometimes I will use superglue in a gel form if the application calls for it. There are some really small parts that need to have support behind them and the Aleene's glue would not work for that so in that case I use superglue.

alright, awesome, I will give that glue a try. Maybe the hot glue being so thick made it even worse for me. Thank you for you advice!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back