Darkside501st's Iron Man/Tony Stark Gauntlet and Arc Ractor Project

Re: Darkside501st's Iron Man/Tony Stark Gauntlet and Arc Ractor Project **new pic**

My wife took a great pic of my gauntlet so I thought I would share it and I also wanted to let everyone know I have been working on an upgrade to my repulsor circuit. I have made myself a prototype and I made a set for a good friend of mine, username Skruffy here on TheRPF. I plan on listing my repulsors in the Junkyard soon. I just have to wait on the protective layer to come in the mail so it is a 'complete' prototype that I can show everyone.

Anyways here is the gauntlet pic:

Re: Darkside501st's Iron Man/Tony Stark Gauntlet and Arc Ractor Project **new pic**

My wife took a great pic of my gauntlet so I thought I would share it and I also wanted to let everyone know I have been working on an upgrade to my repulsor circuit. I have made myself a prototype and I made a set for a good friend of mine, username Skruffy here on TheRPF. I plan on listing my repulsors in the Junkyard soon. I just have to wait on the protective layer to come in the mail so it is a 'complete' prototype that I can show everyone.

Anyways here is the gauntlet pic:

Man I thought that photo was like a stolen movie prop. What red did you use for the paint? It looks to match the actual suit very well.

Thanks guys, quite a compliment to receive.

If you read back through the thread you might find the colors I used... I can't remember off the top of my head but they were just some rattle can colors so they are not that deep looking vs the more professional jobs you see on here. Also, I think it would have turned out even better if I hadn't painted during a rainy week but I ran out of time before Halloween so I didn't have much of a choice.

Once again, amazing work Mike. I'm currently attempting this same project, I have everything pepped and now I have to start strengthening it soon. My question is about the arc reactor, I know the basics about circuitry and soldering, but I'm curious, was the 3.5mm jack just for show or did it actually serve a purpose?

Once again, amazing work Mike. I'm currently attempting this same project, I have everything pepped and now I have to start strengthening it soon. My question is about the arc reactor, I know the basics about circuitry and soldering, but I'm curious, was the 3.5mm jack just for show or did it actually serve a purpose?

Thank you very much. Good luck with your project. To answer your question... everything was functional in my setup. I used a 12v external battery pack so it transferred power from the batteries to the arc and then the two wires running down to the gauntlet supplied power to the repulsor circuit. I did it this way to be more like the prototype images from the movie.

Now that I know more about circuits and such I am remaking it and won't be using the wires to transfer power. I won't be using the 3.5 jacks either.

Wow. This is an amazing and inspirational build (considering I'm doing the same setup myself this halloween, yet with exposed innards. We'll see how THAT goes) and I will definitely be bookmarking this thread for reference. Awesome job! I hope mine comes out even HALF as good as yours.

Wow. This is an amazing and inspirational build (considering I'm doing the same setup myself this halloween, yet with exposed innards. We'll see how THAT goes) and I will definitely be bookmarking this thread for reference. Awesome job! I hope mine comes out even HALF as good as yours.

Thanks, I am glad my build has helped you out. Give yourself plenty of time cause you will most likely have to deal with making modifications once everything is put together. Good luck with your build.

Can you connect two 9v batteries to the G4 LED disk instead of coin batteries. Would this just put to much voltage into it. Or can one disk can run on less than 12 volts and if so what is it like would a single 9v run it.

Last edited:
Can you connect two 9v batteries to the G4 LED disk instead of coin batteries. Would this just put to much voltage into it. Or can one disk can run on less than 12 volts and if so what is it like would a single 9v run it.

I have done more research on the coin cells and I would not recommend using them. I will not be using them in my arc reactors. 2 9v batteries would be putting 18v into the G4 disc which would be too much voltage. These are designed to go in auto and boating applications running on a 12v system so they are actually made to work on 14v. They will light up on 9v but they will not be as bright as 12-14 volts. If you are just going to use a 9v battery then I would suggest using a 9V lithium. They have a much higher mAh rating but they do cost more. You might also want to look into a 12v rechargeable battery pack. They are not that big. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

I have done more research on the coin cells and I would not recommend using them. I will not be using them in my arc reactors. 2 9v batteries would be putting 18v into the G4 disc which would be too much voltage. These are designed to go in auto and boating applications running on a 12v system so they are actually made to work on 14v. They will light up on 9v but they will not be as bright as 12-14 volts. If you are just going to use a 9v battery then I would suggest using a 9V lithium. They have a much higher mAh rating but they do cost more. You might also want to look into a 12v rechargeable battery pack. They are not that big. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Are you using a small pack for each arm or one big one that is in the chest for all the disks. Because the smallest battery lithium ion i can find is 3800mAh, but the big on is 9000mAh.

Last edited:
Are you using a small pack for each arm or one big one that is in the chest for all the disks. Because the smallest battery lithium ion i can find is 3800mAh, but the big on is 9000mAh.

They make Li-Ion and Li-Po batteries in all shapes, sizes, and capacities. For this project I originally had a regular 8AA battery holder. For the repulsor kits I will be selling, I am using a custom circuit to boost the voltage and I will either use rechargeable battery packs or a 3/4AA battery pack. If I use the rechargeable battery packs I would need two of them wired in series.

If you are building a whole suit then it would be a good thing to have separate components so that you don't have wires running all over the place. It will be easier to put the suit on. However, having a centrally located power source has it's advantages too. The both have different pros and cons to consider.

Darkside, I have a really important question hehe all is explained well and brilliant construction. Umm where did you get the cloth glove underneath? I've been going nuts looking for something like that to use for my own projects.

Darkside, I have a really important question hehe all is explained well and brilliant construction. Umm where did you get the cloth glove underneath? I've been going nuts looking for something like that to use for my own projects.

I made that glove myself since I was short on time. You can look for opera gloves and see what comes up.

Where is the Junk Yard thread? I cant seem to find it.

I have been looking into getting some of these parts 3D printed and my Wolverine claws are a big hit so I have been busy filling those order for now. I will be posting the For Sale thread eventually ;) When I do I will post an update in this thread so if you want to subscribe then you will know when I post the For Sale thread.

Thanks for your interest.

Excellent, excellent work. I am taking a small break from making stuff after my first foam costume from Halloween, but resin pep is next up in my queue, and the detail you have in these pieces is pretty damn inspiring. I might not have as much a break as I thought lol. ;)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back