Slingbox alternatives?

JD

Master Member
So, I'm in the market for a Slingbox or some alternative. The original idea was to get my mother one for Christmas so she could watch TV/DVR on her computer or iPad while at the condo in Florida. Theortically, I'd also use it while at work (but not at the same time).

The issue with Slingbox is that there isn't a good way to watch TV live at the house while someone else might watch the DVR/TV elsewhere.

I've done some research and found that the Slingbox HD has a tuner so in theory someone could watch cable TV at both - but to get the DVR end of things working, you'd be moving wires and such to no end.

Anyone have any history with Slingbox and alternatives?

Thanks in advance.

I only have the Pro, and it's essentially been phased out (it doesn't work with the new iPad app) so I can't be a lot of help.

For what it does, it does it well, but it doesn't address the concerns you have.

I only have the Pro, and it's essentially been phased out (it doesn't work with the new iPad app) so I can't be a lot of help.

For what it does, it does it well, but it doesn't address the concerns you have.
Thanks for the input... I guess there's not a lot of users out there.

I do think the $30 charge for the iPad app is a bit outrageous.

JD,

I have 2 Slingbox HD devices and an old SB100, plus I have a Slingbox Solo at my dads house in Pittsburgh.

Slingbox is a great product. The 30 bucks while a rip off is worth it. If you have multiple Droid phones, you can set up a google account on one ID and download it to all the phones, (I don't have an Iphone, but I do have a touch).

Biggest problem with Slingbox, is their ongoing support. Which you really don't need because of how stable the product is, but if you are like me and are always trying BLEEDING EDGE technology, Slingbox (Dish networks), is very slow at porting the Slingplayer Mobile to those devices. And in some cases, it will never be ported. Slingbox claims that they will be enabling the Slingplayer Mobile to Mobile Flash, but that was 2 years ago.

I have an HP touchpad, and the only way currently I will be able to get Slingplayer on it would be to jailbreak it to an Android build as soon as a stable one is available.

The Slingplayer PC app is no longer being developed in favor of a Browser plugin, which will only work on Microsoft IE, and Firefox running on a PC or a MAC. It is specifically written for those, so if you run Linux, or your using a non PC/MAC browser, link you would on a Touchpad or on a device that does not have the app written for it, your SOL.

On the Slingbox forums, I posted a very similar post as this, and it was immediately pulled by Sling, they don't like being blasted on their forums, and are very very VERY, quite, everyone complains on the forum but rarely do you get input from a sling employee.

There does seem to be another similer product called The Hauppauge Broadway, which looks really promising, its brower and platform independent.

Home this all helps.

Robert

Thanks for the input Blasterdaddy... one of the common complaints I am hearing is the lack of customer support.

The Slingbox is going on my Christmas list and I think I'm picking one for my Mom as well.

BestBuy has a Black Friday deal on the Solo for $99. Since I'll mostly watch on the iPad, it's perfect for me.

JD,

I have 2 Slingbox HD devices and an old SB100, plus I have a Slingbox Solo at my dads house in Pittsburgh.

Slingbox is a great product. The 30 bucks while a rip off is worth it. If you have multiple Droid phones, you can set up a google account on one ID and download it to all the phones, (I don't have an Iphone, but I do have a touch).

Biggest problem with Slingbox, is their ongoing support. Which you really don't need because of how stable the product is, but if you are like me and are always trying BLEEDING EDGE technology, Slingbox (Dish networks), is very slow at porting the Slingplayer Mobile to those devices. And in some cases, it will never be ported. Slingbox claims that they will be enabling the Slingplayer Mobile to Mobile Flash, but that was 2 years ago.

I have an HP touchpad, and the only way currently I will be able to get Slingplayer on it would be to jailbreak it to an Android build as soon as a stable one is available.

The Slingplayer PC app is no longer being developed in favor of a Browser plugin, which will only work on Microsoft IE, and Firefox running on a PC or a MAC. It is specifically written for those, so if you run Linux, or your using a non PC/MAC browser, link you would on a Touchpad or on a device that does not have the app written for it, your SOL.

On the Slingbox forums, I posted a very similar post as this, and it was immediately pulled by Sling, they don't like being blasted on their forums, and are very very VERY, quite, everyone complains on the forum but rarely do you get input from a sling employee.

There does seem to be another similer product called The Hauppauge Broadway, which looks really promising, its brower and platform independent.

Home this all helps.

Robert

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back