Cetacean - The Man From Atlantis submarine - Completed

Re: Cetacean - The Man From Atlantis submarine - Help

Captain Finney, LMFAOSchwarz, psion - glad you like how it's turning out :)

I wasn't satisfied with the pin mounts as there's that angle that I want to capture with the camera
that I can't get at without seeing the mounting pins. I really want to make them invisible when
looking at the best angle which shows more of the front with all lights working.

There were two pin mounts - one on each passageway (front and rear) with nothing in the middle.
I'm modifying to a side-swiveling mount on just the middle passageway this time. It's practically
invisible at all the good angles, even that famous low front angle. I don't know if this will turn
out for the better - sometimes it's the "rough draft" that's the best one.

001.%20%20Helicopter%20part_zpsbc9af773.jpg

Cannibalized some parts from stuff around the house to build the swivel mount. I found a
mini-helicopter rotor blade part (my son caught me again! - well his mini-copter WAS broken
beyond repair) - the part is tiny but it's strong and sturdy and hopefully should be able to carry
the ping-pong Cetacean's weight.

004.%20%20Helicopter%20part_zps675c5d12.jpg

002.%20%20Helicopter%20part_zps21f7fc33.jpg

I'll slot the passageway with the Dremel and drive it right in. And I'll have to regroom the wires
to thread out from the middle passageway.

Be careful, c.j...don't create a situation where, if it goes wrong, the model gets damaged beyond repair! Then you'll have to cry, right along with me, psion and Captain Finney...

me -> :cry psion -> :cry Captain Finney -> :cry you -> :cry
not to mention Chrisisall -> :cry

We don't want this to happen! Be careful...you just didn't sound too concerned when you described your plans, and I know I'd be worried as heck!:confused

LOL :) You have a point LMFAOSchwarz. I remember a story my father used to tell me about how the first version is always the best. About how Abraham Lincoln wrote the Gettysburg Address on a train, balling up drafts and finally in frustration due to lack of time picked up the first draft and it went down in history as one of the greatest speeches. Don't know if that story is true but the lesson is there and it has happened a lot of times in the past where I just regretted modding something. Couldn't sleep though wanting to get this mod done. I'll be very careful, don't worry.

that's good to hear! I don't know how long you've been planning this addition, so I have no way of knowing if you allowed for it in your build. Many is the time I'd want to add something, and only wished I'd planned ahead and built corresponding internal structure. Well...not many times, but a few!

I can't imagine your Cetacean is very heavy, so it shouldn't take too much to hold it in place without it drooping or something!

By the way, this is in no way a commentary on your skills, which are amazing. I have faith in you! :)

Sometimes I just want to dive into it and start building or else later never comes. I sort of just
discover methods as I go. And you're right, LMFAOSchwarz - it's not the smartest way. Careful
planning will save you a lot of time from having to rework things.

001Reroutedwiresandinstalledswivelmount_zps894fe188.jpg

Threaded the wires through the model and out the middle passageway. Attached the swivel mount.

002OnSwivelmount_zpsc4e125c9.jpg

Cut up the base and redesigned it a bit to accomodate the swiveling Cetacean's path.

003OnSwivelmount2_zpsed04724e.jpg

This is the shot I'm after which just wouldn't have been possible using the 2-pin mounting.

LMFAOSchwarz, Chrisisall, thanks! :) JMChladek thanks - the other night I routed that sail,
which was built almost entirely of apoxie sculpt in the hope of making it a tad lighter. Turns out
there was no real need and the support beam turned out really strong.

001PolyFilla_zpsc6c4f398.jpg

Letting the Polyfilla dry. Looks like I may be able to finish this thing sooner than I expected.
After the base, just need to make the fin and bow diving planes, then repair the bell housing,
install the prop plate and prop and it should be good to dive.

I'm lost...

Maybe I just drank a bottle of 5-Hour Stupid and didn't realize it, but what is this 'sail' of which you speak?:confused

Are you going to paint those rocks? Or is it representative of arctic ice or something?

Nice base!:cool

LMFAOSchwarz - sorry for using "sail" - that's a submarine's superstructure or conning tower. I read
the sail houses the conning tower or command center but I guess the terms can be used interchangeably.

000Painting_zps57302451.jpg

Rock painting in progress.

001Rockspainted_zps29f7bfee.jpg

Rocks painted.

Thanks for the info, crackerjazz! Once you defined the term I sort of realized I did know it somewhere in my mind, but I guess it was relegated to the non-vital section of my awareness!:confused

Love the rocks!

Thanks, guys :) - no, I haven't given up, LMFAOSchwarz - we'll get this done : )

Needtopolishthepropeller.jpg

Re-shaped the prop. Ready for polishing with the dremel tool.

Tailfin.jpg

Almost don't want to attach that tailfin. But it has to be there.

Fin.jpg

Addinginsomedetails.jpg

Just adding some more details that I've missed and patching up some rough areas.

Lostinprop2.jpg

The prop seems to have lost the bowplane's control surface.

Lostinprop.jpg

It was still there in the show.

Sandedtoprofile.jpg

Cut up the diving planes. Took my time sanding to the airfoil profile.

Forscribing.jpg

One done. Drew up the scribe lines.

I've had that happen , too. A few years ago, a small toy truck which I had refurbished into a garbage truck for a project I was working on (which is to say I'm not into garbage trucks like they were my equivalent of an X-wing fighter or something:lol ). Anyway, I suddenly noticed one day that an exhaust pipe I'd built for it was mysteriously gone. a minor setback in the big picture, but for some reason it always seems like it takes twice the effort to replace something. :confused

In other news, I noticed that your conning towers' outline seems to match the placement of the top of the sea mountain peak. That would bug me once I became aware of it. Is there a way to move the ship possibly slightly up and to the side a bit. I'm not trying to be critical at all, I just love this build so much I'm viewing it through my own eyes, so to speak, and seeing what I'd see if it were my own work.

Now I need a new keyboard. I spilled water on it this morning and the cap lock function is all wonky, which is why none of my questions end with question marks. :wacko Who knows what else won't work also. :confused

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back