Cetacean - The Man From Atlantis submarine - Completed

Re: Cetacean - The Man From Atlantis submarine - Help

000Decksupports.jpg

Deck supports

01Attachedthedeck.jpg

After having to reopen the balls to troubleshoot some wiring issue (windshield lights wouldn't
illuminate with head cemented in place but do light up when opened up - wiring and soldering was
good - it was really strange - had to replace the wire to fix it but passageway and ball re-alignment
took forever. I'm now particularly proud of the ramrod-straight deck, which simply wouldn't glue on
straight at first because of the wrong ball alignment. I was fixing one area and ruining the other and
vice versa but just got lucky eventually. I had to view it as you would view a guitar fretboard as any
single warp would readily show when viewed this way. Anyway, I'm just glad that step is over and
everything's aligned and cemented in place.

000Ramrodstraightdeck.jpg

002DeckStraight.jpg

02Ballastvalves.jpg

Made the ballast valves

03Ballastvalves.jpg

I just stumbled across this build. Great work so far! Looking forward to seeing her finished. :)

SofaKing01 thanks. :) Coming from you that means a lot. Your majestic Falcon cockpit is d bomb.

Very cool, Crackerjazz! I too tried to swim MFA-style when I was a kid. It never managed to accelerate me to dolphin-like velocities, but it was a heck of a workout for my abdomen!

I could certainly use that today.

Nice research, too. It brought back a lot of fond memories.

Very cool, Crackerjazz! I too tried to swim MFA-style when I was a kid. It never managed to accelerate me to dolphin-like velocities, but it was a heck of a workout for my abdomen!
Once on holiday, I swam like that in a pool that was smaller than I was used to without goggles and I crashed my noggin into the cement side :lol, lucky for me I learned to hold my breath well- I came to very quickly, and made it to the surface with many seconds to spare.
I must be a citizen of the ocean...:cool

I can't wait to see this baby finished. Man I loved that show.

Looking yet awesomer, crackerjazz! I love the paint: it has just the right sheen to bring out the sphere shapes nicely.
Overall, it's not looking as 'plain' as I might have expected. Rather its appeal is in a wholly-functioinal looking countenance!

Derby, Chrisisall, Psion, thanks! :) Yep, if you've watched the show as a kid you're guaranteed
to test out that swimming style as soon as you hit the water. There was no escaping from the
show's influence. LMFAOSchwarz-, thanks - I noticed that too, the Tamiya flat paint has a bit of
sheen to it.

7988090352_69e1a9af8b_z.jpg

7988250663_7b3a319c48_z.jpg

I managed to fight off sleep till 2am to get all the trusses done last night. I still got up early to
make sure it wasn't just a dream I got something done. My eyes feel like they've got sand in them.

7988221384_b51c32e90f_z.jpg

7988221446_1503378927_z.jpg

Time for a George Takei quote moment...

"OH MY!!!!" ;)

I wasn't that good a swimmer when I was young and I never could get that dolphin kick to work AT ALL. Duffey had some real six pack abs to pull that off! But I am of the opinion if they ever do a Man from Atlantis remake, Michael Phelps is their man because he almost could hit dolphin speeds doing his dolphin kick underwater after pushing off from the wall on his pool laps in competition.

Chrisisall, Jay, thanks! :) Me neither - I don't know how Patrick Duffy does it it's quite a feat.

000Openingcredits.jpg

I decided I'll put her in her natural habitat for the base - similar to the opening credits.

000Styrofoam.jpg

Cut up some styrofoam and started hotglueing. Gotta remember to pick up some plywood from
the hardware.

001NaturalHabitat.jpg

It should look good after plastering and painting.

Ramp up the awesome factor, why dontcha?:lol
It keeps getting better & better...

:) Sorry, guys, the conning tower's still hangin' around. Just on blue-tac status. Just wanted to
make sure I align it properly with the trusses before permanent assignment.

003Workedonpinmounts.jpg

Worked on the pin mounts.

000Pinmounts.jpg

001Mounts.jpg

Channel for wires

002Mounts2.jpg

005Mounted2.jpg

Wife says I'm a slob. They should invent tools that can find their way back to the toolbox on their own.

006Mounted1.jpg

004Lookmanohands.jpg

That's it for now. Once I hide the electricals in the pipes it should look nice and clean. But I still need a self-cleaning workbench.

Last edited:

The first-rate diorama just took this perfect build into an area beyond perfection...Wow.

I agree! Just as I was wondering how you were going to display this thing, you pull this backdrop rabbit out of your hat! I love the suspended in air (or rather, water) look. I'm thinking that if you somehow added some kind of blue light cast onto the rocks and sub, it might just look too awesome for works...especially at night!:popcorn

Nah ... when it's finished, use one of those Pico Projectors to cast an animated loop of slow-motion underwater caustics over the whole scene.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back