2011 Red Y-Wing: Build Thread™

Still making the plant-ons perfect! Lots of well-cast parts to go over... man, my eyes are crossing! Heh!

6331152184_4ee1d9d8ba_b.jpg

Sure is a lot of parts eh? Awesome! Hats off to Mike for being a casting machine! The number of parts is about as nuts as that Galactica shuttle you did too Mike.

Such an epic project. It's good to see all the teamwork.

Okay - this stage is taking forever though - I am down to maybe 12-15 parts left to clean up? There are, what, 8 million total?

6333994590_e709fa13da_b.jpg

Looking good Jason, i have to say, i think we will all feel that pain, LOTS of parts, LOTS of clean up, but, there is one guy who would simply tell us to......
UncleChopperSayswww_motivationalpostersonline_blogspot_comdemotivationalpostersmotivationalposterfunny.jpg

lee

The curse of "WE WANT PLANT-ONS!" we listened to model makers when we designed this kit.. the majority of folks wanted the undercuts... makes for a better looking model.... so follow Uncle Choppers advise.... :lol Jason thos pics are awesome!!

Did some research on the ol Star Wars bluray...reference the Gold Leader Pyro scene.. where the Y separates its engine then explodes... frame by frame shows that it's actually the "Triangle model" getting blown to hell in that scene and Not a pyro version of gold leader. You can see the distinct pipes comming off the back of the head to the neck.... so thats why Gold Leader (tie killer) is in private hands.. it did not meet its end during filming...... Hero Triangles however is lost forever. Just shows they detailed out the pyros pretty heavy for ANH.... not sure for ROTJ (very poor castings) but with the pictures shown here...they took time to detail them out before blowing them to smithereens... at least Triangles anyway...

Steve

The curse of "WE WANT PLANT-ONS!" we listened to model makers when we designed this kit.. the majority of folks wanted the undercuts... makes for a better looking model.... so follow Uncle Choppers advise.... :lol Jason thos pics are awesome!!

Did some research on the ol Star Wars bluray...reference the Gold Leader Pyro scene.. where the Y separates its engine then explodes... frame by frame shows that it's actually the "Triangle model" getting blown to hell in that scene and Not a pyro version of gold leader. You can see the distinct pipes comming off the back of the head to the neck.... so thats why Gold Leader (tie killer) is in private hands.. it did not meet its end during filming...... Hero Triangles however is lost forever. Just shows they detailed out the pyros pretty heavy for ANH.... not sure for ROTJ (very poor castings) but with the pictures shown here...they took time to detail them out before blowing them to smithereens... at least Triangles anyway...

Steve

At least she went out in style. That shot never ceases to amaze me. It's almost as if the two parts, the engine and the rest of the ship, were shot separately with motion control... they move with such perfect dynamics and maintain such perfect framing... in fact I'm wondering if that was how it was actually done, indeed the final explosion looks well like a separate element that's been superimposed over the shot... but the Empire of Dreams doc refutes this, does it? It was just done on wires in one go? Don't have the doc, see.

I'm cool with plant-ons. I WANT millions of little bits. And I have no Dremel so will be cleaning 'em over a period of several years with a flippin' hand-file but I don't care. I'm also loving the fact that I have no clue where half of them go!

Last edited:
"I'm also loving the fact that I have no clue where half of them go!"

If I do my job right, you will!

I'm busy with other things tomorrow, but Sunday is "Figure out where all of these parts go, and glue them down" day!

WOW I wasnt expecting this kit to have that many parts, so this is an added bonus for me as I like putting on all the little details, I will be watching this closely I wonder how many parts this kit actually has....

Don't EFF it up Jason... Ill hunt you down! :) Loving the pictures!

Seriously though I can't wait to see the other two versions. But I know first hand what it took to bring this puppy to light. Dan really brought out his game! Not to mention it's been gone over and scrutinized for literally years!

John (sweetness), Steve, recall the phone conference to get the cockpit right... :behave And by god John nailed it!

Personally I'll never forget taking a dremal and sanding pad to the master cockpit... talk about nerve racking.

We did it finally and I can't wait to see the Salzo mark on it for the final model.

Great job to all involved!

"I'm also loving the fact that I have no clue where half of them go!"

If I do my job right, you will!

I'm busy with other things tomorrow, but Sunday is "Figure out where all of these parts go, and glue them down" day!

Wow, its like you got it wet and it just multiplied! Ooohh, getting close to seeing it as a whole.
Gotta say it, that cockpit module is ridiculously awesome in profile.

lee

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back