2011 Red Y-Wing: Build Thread™

Hi Jason,
Most likely you have it allready in your mind.
Anyway: Please can you start the instructions with a "parts list" or a picture with all the parts layed out. That would make it easier to check, if the kit is complete.
Thank you very much.

Michael

Hi Jason with regards to the Pantone paint. I always regarded the red y as being caboose red with a misted original base color. Perhaps the closest being tamiya insignia white over the obvious grey and black primer/ base coat. Although some of the refs appearing to be orange on color for the red markings we know without the flash they are obviously red. Just wanting you're thoughts on the color markings of the original I guess.

Sorry to CRUSH YOUR DREAMS (hehe), but you'll be getting templates that act as a guide for pipe widths and bending. I'll post them here as I go along, so people can get a head start if they wish - but it might be a good idea to wait until the kits are in-hand, just so you have something to reference against.

Today is all about cleaning and cooking and prep for a Halloween Party, so I won't have any time to work on this until tomorrow. I'l have more pics then of course.

I also still have all my notes from the hands-on-with-calipers session I had with the original prop, so you'll also get nose gun brass width and length instructions, and length data on the Plastruct T rods for the engines! It should be the same as the MR Y-Wings, since we were held to that particular model for certain things, but it's good to reference the original specs.

I tried to get close to Pantone color codes with the deco, too - so you can maybe get close to the color on the Red Y, 30 years on. I assume it has shifted a bit, with exposure to light, dust, pot smoke, etc.

OK, I'll man up and scratch pipes, lol....thanks for helping us all out with this...

Hi Jason with regards to the Pantone paint. I always regarded the red y as being caboose red with a misted original base color. Perhaps the closest being tamiya insignia white over the obvious grey and black primer/ base coat. Although some of the refs appearing to be orange on color for the red markings we know without the flash they are obviously red. Just wanting you're thoughts on the color markings of the original I guess.

My choice would be Caboose too Simon, years ago, i took the wrong advice and went too orange, im sure J can confirm this for sure though.

Base colors, insignia sounds a great idea, with light misting on the main hull of a "concrete" maybe to get the hue as correct as possible?

Really looking forward to hearing Jason's thoughts though, its always best to hear from the man who got hands on!

lee

I just received the early casting of the new Y-Wing, in Red flavor™... it is a stunner. I do not say this lightly. It is a completely new beast from any thing that has preceded it, and absolutely DECIMATES the older kits and MR offering. I just washed the parts in warm soapy water, and will spend the next few days wrapping my head around this thing, so I can begin making the instructions for everyone. I'll be tackling the nest of piping first - it's gonna be the most tedious but also probably a very rewarding part of the build for a lot of you guys. My personal aim is to make this easy and concise, for builders from "this is my first resin kit" to "jaded old fart". I can't get over what Neisen, his team, and Salzo have wrought. It's... it's... full of stars....

Hey, it's wet and free of any hand oils!
L1100947.jpg

I've only been waiting... (working) for this to come to fruition since... 98'? Can't wait to see more! Can't wait to see the gold versions! :love

Hey Jamie. Is it safe to show my MoM Y-wing pics now?? :lol Seriously, you guys rock. I'm blown away by what we've seen so far of this kit, well done!!

Jamie, it's SUCH a work of art, it's insane. I'm waiting on the last batch of parts to arrive, so I can catalog and do the checklist... it's really well engineered. Simply stunning.

Judging by the pics this looks like a fantastic kit. Can't wait to get one.
Who's on the roll call for delivering this beauty apart from Jamie, Steve & Mike? - the patterns are clearly very cleverly done based on the casts.

Nick

Gort Roll Call for Red Jammer build team!

Build Team:

John Curilla, ILM equal pattern maker, vintage kit collector, greeble hunter, kit engineer

Dan Loes, vinatge kit collector, greeble hunter extraordinaire.

Jamie Farthing, pattern maker, kit collector, greeble hunter, kit engineer and Y wing Jedi master.

Isel Caro, kit collector, greeble hunter.

Steve Neisen, kit engineer, mold maker, casting, pattern maker, greeble hunter.

I hope Jason can show the effort on the build thread that went into this pattern... with it's accuracy and the attention we put in with the model maker in mind. It is a work of art.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
The master pattern alone was just out of this world on this one, i spoke to Mike a while back, even he commented it was maybe the singlemost beautiful master EVER made, my exact thoughts when i got sent the pics from Steve.
She is a labor of pure love, from research, to pattern, to final casting, this really is a GK that ticks all the boxes.

lee

I will be exacting and careful, like never before. This baby deserves it! I'll also be bouncing a few things off of John along the way to ensure I'm interpreting things correctly!

I was thinking about adding 1/4-20 threaded adapters to the interior of the Engine/wing armature, for easy Panavise use. Also had the bar come to me unthreaded - so I will probably drill and cut 1/4-20 threads for the same reason... I'd imagine this will be the most popular solution, and of course, people can always make a bigger hole if they want to use a thicker pipe.

:confused Hi everyone, Is there still (7) available spots or "Kits" offered on the wants list? :confusedI'm a little confused- if they are, these 7 spots are reffering to the "Red Jammer-Version" only right? Special limited run of -I think it said (50) kits? After these then only the "Gold Leader" & other Gold version Y's will be offered on a "new" list-I hope :$.

Couldn't have said it better. A lot of people to thank for this!

Gort Roll Call for Red Jammer build team!

Build Team:

John Curilla, ILM equal pattern maker, vintage kit collector, greeble hunter, kit engineer

Dan Loes, vinatge kit collector, greeble hunter extraordinaire.

Jamie Farthing, pattern maker, kit collector, greeble hunter, kit engineer and Y wing Jedi master.

Isel Caro, kit collector, greeble hunter.

Steve Neisen, kit engineer, mold maker, casting, pattern maker, greeble hunter.

I hope Jason can show the effort on the build thread that went into this pattern... with it's accuracy and the attention we put in with the model maker in mind. It is a work of art.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, congratulations guys. Looks like you've knocked it out the park on this one - I shall watch this build thread with great keeness and possibly a little drooling.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back