Terra Nova: Pistol Build Tutorial

Jonny B

After doing the Rifle for this show, I guess I can't leave the Pistol out of my collection. So, as I'm still a newbie here and not allowed to offer anything in the Junkyard (yet :lol ), here's how YOU can build a nice prop.

You'll need:
Nerf N-Strike Nite Finder Pistol
The Flashlite from a Nerf Recon CS-6
6" of 3/4" PVC
Female 3/4" PVC end cap
Mini-Mag Flashlight, the 2 cell AA (BOTH the LED and regular are used in the show so either is correct)

Here we go!

Disassemble the Nerf gun and the Recon Flash lite by taking out all the screws. Carefully, lots of little springs inside that can go TWANG! and be lost.
NOTE: I like things that work so I'm going to keep the original LED Targeter.
Remove all the parts you won't be needing till it looks like this picture.

101411175501.jpg

Dremell the trigger as shown:
1017111436.jpg

Gut the lens for the light and put it back togeather. It's a used part for the top of the gun, so save it!
1014111745.jpg

Dremell and sand the PVC so the Female end fits good. Then put the angle on the piece and glue it flush. After it sets up, a little glazzing putty with your finger around the edge and a light sanding completes the barrel. Give it a quick shot with black spraypaint to be sure it looks right.
1017111415.jpg

Choice time: If your going to put it under glass or hang it on a wall, use bondo to fill in the body sections. If it's going to walk around with you as part of a costume, Short Strand Fiberglass.

Once the two Bodys are done, sand the face of the grey piece that was holding the batteries in for the Recon Flash lite.

You should be here...
102211195101.jpg

More later ...

For today....

This little grey piece, that was the part that held in the battery for the Recon Flash lite, sand the ~face~ to get all that silly lettering off of it. Use 220 so it's rough enough to accept glue.
1023111304.jpg

Now as I said, I'm keeping the integral lite that the pistol has already in it. To do that, dremell out this grey pieces internal ribbing so it fits over the LED black housing.
1023111306.jpg

Rough sand the top of this piece as well, it gets glued to the original holder of the lens for the LED. But not yet, just prep the pieces for now. We have to get the barrel shroud (Recon Flash Lite) fitted for placement first.
1023111320.jpg

Fun time...This is the hardest part to do right here. I find that having a full-scale photo or print out works wonders for getting details corect. I highly recomend it, if you can get them.
The red lines are the cut points, leave yourself about 1/8" and then sand to a perfect fit from there. You can see the front is done here.
1023111414.jpg

more tomarrow!

...sorry taking so long but I have 3 Parties to get get 5 costumes ready for this weekend.

All three :cool

This is the hardest one.
picture23gv.png

The other two (as in your picture) are built on it with only some very minor details changed. I'll explain were each one diverts as I build, so if you want any of the three you get the info on it.

just in grabbing some dinner and will be back out in the shop the rest of the night

Hmm, from looking at some of the reference shots in the analysis thread, are we sure the barrel on this isn't from the recon as well? It would have to have its 'slots' filled in, but it looks about the right size, and it seems to have the little pinlines circling around the barrel like the recon does. A piece of 3/4 could have been inserted to create the same inner diameter as when using a coupler or end cap.

Last edited:
Hmm, from looking at some of the reference shots in the analysis thread, are we sure the barrel on this isn't from the recon as well? It would have to have its 'slots' filled in, but it looks about the right size, and it seems to have the little pinlines circling around the barrel like the recon does. A piece of 3/4 could have been inserted to create the same inner diameter as when using a coupler or end cap.

Yes, I'm sure. It's close and workable if you don't or cant do the PVC barrel, but not exact.
1025110043.jpg

Sorry, busy busy...

Here I've used a piece of wood and dremelled it down to fit on the top rail as the Iron Sight.
1023111705.jpg

Gutted the scope/barrelshroud completely.
1024111715.jpg

While it is taped togeather, fiberglass it along the inner join,then dremel out any excess glass.
1024112024.jpg

Here's a test fit to the gun. You can see where I'll need to cut-dremel so the barrel shroud fits cleanly over it.
1024112025.jpg

Measured the stop point and cut away excess top rail from the main body.
102411204101.jpg

NOT attached yet (tons more to do and add) but you get the idea where this is going.
1024112110.jpg

--end of line--

Jonny B there is a fourth. One without the Recon laser Light shroud/piece.

http://www.therpf.com/f9/terra-nova-references-analysis-thread-pics-props-etc-130022/index2.html

See post #31 - 1st and 2nd photos.

Love this thread. Thanks for the details. I am going to try and reproduce this once we get the final lesson. Thank you for your hard work and effort.

Best,
DBCooper

HA! I know where that one came from too! That's a left-over piece from the Terra Nova Rifle build. They must have had it laying about like I did :lol
102511222901.jpg

Jonny B, Your tutorial has inspired me to build a pistol as well. I have picked up the Nite Finder and Recon already and I will start the tear down this weekend. Keep up the great work!!! I am looking forward to more instalments to come. :thumbsup

Jeff

Very cool thread!! I'm looking forward to raiding the parts bin to make one of these variants. I really appreciate the tutorial Jonny B!

Brian

OH KAY! All Hallows Eve is done so back to work! (Also, very happy with wining all the local shows :lol )

Today:

This grey piece, that was the part that held the original lens for the target LED, is now going to be used to hold the barrel of the gun. Sand down both "faces" of it till smooth.
1027112019.jpg

Now dremell out the opening so your PVC barrel is a good fit in it. Once thats done you need to fill the side holes (shown in pic) with bondo or glass, then resand down to smooth sides again.
1027112021.jpg

Back to this barel shroud...dremel or cut as I show it marked in red. You can see this'll match exactly with the original show prop.
NOTE! I've shown how to do the ~vent holes~ on a piece exactly like this in the Terra Nova Rifle Build, its the same with this piece.
1027111432.jpg

Here I've roughed in the handle a bit more, building it up with more glass. Theree are 3 finger grips ~notches~ mark them in pencil and sand with 220 to get the shape, then with 400 to get it cleaner. Finally with 800 for that smooooth finish :)
103011162801.jpg

Test fit all the pieces and here's where you should be....

103011183501.jpg

The next steps divert, depending on what gun you want to make.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back