Terra Nova: Pistol Build Tutorial

OK, choice time:

If you want the James "Jim" Shannon pistol, cut off the flashlite mounts flush with the main body and fill with fiberglass. That's these two pieces that hang down under the barrel...
103111155801.jpg

If you want the Commander Nathaniel Taylor pistol, remove the flashlite mounts as well, but THIS piece *half of it actually, it comes apart and you only need one section* is added instead of the lens.
1031112107.jpg

If you want the Lt. Alicia Washington or Lt. Guzman pistol...you're a glutton for punishment and should seek help! OK, start by filling in the arms of the pieces that hang down with fiberglass. These arms/mounting brackets are functional (at least how I made it) and will hold the flashlite.
103111160401.jpg

Dremell out the holes and then drill them with 1/8th in drill bit. These holes are actually smaller then the screws we'll use.
1031112041.jpg

Now we "tap" the hole. Grab a extra screw, file 2-3 cuts in the tip of it and SLOWLY screw it in. When you meet a bit of resistance, back it out, clean it off and start again. This is a cheap way to tap holes for a perfect fit.
1031112047.jpg

Wa-la! Two holes, taped and now the flashlight mounts easy, and more important, can be taken out and new batterys put in it!
1031112058.jpg

Dremel the grey piece as shown. The "Lens" was a bit tricky but I think I got close. The Orange piece is part of the bolt return in a Nerf Recon. If you don't have one, no biggy, make it out of wood.
1031112132.jpg

Cut the orange piece and fit it as shown. Go slow, take your time. If you had to hand make the piece, go even slower :)
1031112200.jpg

Should be able to wrap this puppy up tomarow! I have the pieces painted and drying right now, just final assembly to go!

Here they are just before being shot.
1031112224.jpg

Looks good. Have you identified the little detail piece that is glued to the round part on the back where the nerf logo used to be?

Looks good. Have you identified the little detail piece that is glued to the round part on the back where the nerf logo used to be?

The "exact" piece has eluded me. However, I think I've come up with a acceptable substitute.

Here's the Nerf Recon clip and you can see the piece I've cut out of another one.
1101111732.jpg

After a bit of dremel work, some sanding with a file...not to bad.
1101111822.jpg

And of course you have to make two of them, but only one Nerf Clip is needed to do it.
1101111918.jpg

I drilled and counter sunk the pieces first, then gorilla glued them on.
Then, when glue was dry and set hard, I drilled again with a smaller bit. The screws would be enough to
hold it on, but I didn't want them to move durring the drilling.
1101111947.jpg

Primer showed a few low's and high's so I'm going to re-sand it all down again...
1101112014.jpg

...but that's tomarow!

night all!

PS. There IS one more piece to make for this...anyone know what it is? :)

Line of 'blocks' inside the horizontal groove on the main body?

BTW, isn't Stephen Lang's flashlight mounted to the side, or has the 'claw' part turned to the side? I see it sticking out of the holster.

Very clever mod work on that little orange detail piece :)

She looks great.

-MJ

Line of 'blocks' inside the horizontal groove on the main body?

BTW, isn't Stephen Lang's flashlight mounted to the side, or has the 'claw' part turned to the side? I see it sticking out of the holster.

Very clever mod work on that little orange detail piece :)

She looks great.

-MJ

Correct! That's the last piece needed to be made...about time too :lol

Also Correct! The Commander Nathaniel Taylor pistol does re-use the two pieces that are cut off the bottom of the gun. They are reattached to the right side. Then (and seriously just "WOW!!" at the lazyness of this) they used an industrial Zip-Tie to hold the flashlite in place.
tnp1.jpg

That's some incredible work on a prop i knew next to nothing about!

I'll be looking for these pistols all the time now!!!!1

You sure know your stuff!

rich

And there's the finish line! Just need a few things and its done...

As Sith Sheriff Brody said, these two pieces were still needed. Here's how I did them, wood pieces (mainly because my shipment of plastics hasn't arived yet) and made both at the same time.
1102111608.jpg

Finished the top iron site. You'll notice I added a slight angle to the sides. Not that this thing would actually work with no V site at the end of the gun *rolls eyes at dumbness*
1102111622.jpg

Everything glued, glassed and resanded it all down.
110211164801.jpg

Much to my dogs delight, ready to paint it.
aaaap.png

Hung up and ready to shoot. I always coat underside first, then do the top.
110211170801.jpg

Put the last 4 screws in it, and tested the light. Funny, on the pictures its kinda white looking but its really a deep red with a + crosshair on it.
1102111755.jpg

Up on the wall it goes to join its big brother.
110211175701.jpg

Thanks everyone for following along, had fun doing it and as always if you have questions, feel free to ask!

See ya next build!:lol

hehe...like I wouldn't do a "Beauty Shot" of this lil' guy! Here you go...

terranovapistolreplica.jpg

terranovapistol.jpg

I think I could clean it up a bit more to be a perfect "Hero" but I really don't need to...I'm a "Sixer" :lol Going to rough it up a bit, some paint chips and such.

OK, now for the warning: I did this tut. so people could do thier own, I do not want to see my build pictures on someone elses eBay add.

Excellent tutorial!

Here's my Jim Shannon version:
5549152.jpeg

I used a little artistic license here and there, but I used most of your tutorial as the basis for my build. Thanks for all of the great tips - I don't think I could have figured it all out on my own! :lol

Excellent tutorial!

Here's my Jim Shannon version:
5549152.jpeg

I used a little artistic license here and there, but I used most of your tutorial as the basis for my build. Thanks for all of the great tips - I don't think I could have figured it all out on my own! :lol

NICE!

That's one sweet build right there!

... I do not want to see my build pictures on someone elses eBay add.

You should watermark all your photos. (as everyone should) Just ghost on your name and they can't use them. Or can't deny the theft anyway.

Nice work, but I read this show had 20 million to spend. Where did it go?

hehe...like I wouldn't do a "Beauty Shot" of this lil' guy! Here you go...

terranovapistolreplica.jpg

terranovapistol.jpg

I think I could clean it up a bit more to be a perfect "Hero" but I really don't need to...I'm a "Sixer" :lol Going to rough it up a bit, some paint chips and such.

OK, now for the warning: I did this tut. so people could do thier own, I do not want to see my build pictures on someone elses eBay add.

Really wonderful work and thank you for the great tutorial. I saw your eBay comment and wondered if you had any issue if I make use of your tutorial to make one for a client. Just wanted to clarify, thanks very much

Brian

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back