Tron: Legacy Sequel (personal project over the next few years)

APV

So, I have big plans.

Next fall I go to video production college. I'll be learning everything I need to to direct, produce, write, record, act, edit, etc... (Even though I've taken six semesters of classes during my brief stint at high-school...) But, we are allowed to have our own side projects. I am planning on making a sequel to Legacy.

I have nearly free-use (and 24/7 access) of tons of professional recording and editing equipment, (RED cameras, cranes, dual-50" monitor HD editing and SFX studio, prefessional sound studio, etc...) It will be awesome to work on, and won't just be a few kids and a DSLR, as some of the other "fan" films have been. (Though to be fair some of them are amazing at that.)

As for actual props and costumes, I do expect to be making a C.L.U. costume, for me, as I look like C.L.U., (at least when my hair is 4" long and brushed back...) And then a more "real-world" suit based off of the flashback flynn costume, with a more modern leather jacket with a stylized light-stripe on it, jeans, etc... A Quorra suit w/ helmet, a Sam suit w/ new enclosed helmet, a Kevin Flynn suit... A Rinzler suit w/ helmet... A Castor and Gem suit... Black guard and soldier suits... 15 or so random good programs, (like those in the end-of-line club with one or two lights on them...) And a suit for an original character I'm not disclosing details about yet. I expect each suit to cost between $100-$200, and take way too much time to make, so I hope students wanting to do costume designing handle a few of them if they are up to it. Yes, seems like a bit much... But I have a year before I even start college, and I'm there for four years, so I have plenty of time. I plan on allowing people to donate for my future projects AFTER it's finished and uploaded to youtube in all of it's glory. (I don't want to take people's money and then run into a problem and not get it done.) I mean, I have a spy script, IVY, which I've been developing for the better part of three years now.

For now before I even start college I'd like to get the C.L.U. helmet and suits done, and the Quorra helmet done. I've restarted my C.L.U. helmet with the xbox avatar pepakura file, it seems the most accurate with a few tweaks I suppose. The C.L.U. suit will be one of the more expensive ones, just because there's 2x more lighting in it than any other one. I also plan on making an actual light cycle, with lights where they are supposed to be, and spinning engines, etc... It will probably be a plastic shell on a basic metal frame, (with hub-less wheels, which I will have to somehow make work, and the tires, which will probably be a bit expensive, as they would be rather wide,) and will probably use a very low-power electric motor so it can actually move, so I can actually get real-life shots, and not revert to cheesy looking fakeness. This will probably take a long time. But I have a friend who modifies scooters of all things, so at least getting it moving should not be a problem. Turning will be difficult though. I also will make a few light-jet cockpits in different colors according to who is flying one, and the wings will be added in after the fact. And so will the whole flying aspect. I also have the ability to press-form some 9.25" and 8.5" metal ID disc shells, I'd just have to assemble and light them myself somehow. I'll sparsly light them though just for reference lighting against actors and such, the actual blade will be added in sfx. I also need to make many launch batons. Many many launch batons... :-/

Just so people aren't wondering how a lot of the old characters are back, I'll tell you.

When the world of Tron was copied to the Encom servers where they would analyze it, (Sam wants to see if it's possible to get his father back, etc,) the "safety protocol" or whatnot (will use better terminology,) resets the world back to it's last un-corrupt state... Which is a surprising place. As it's introduced to the network, programs can escape, C.L.U. still has a grudge against Earth, etc. Because of the world of Tron being such a great tool for actual people, (one example is a carpenter who will use a prototype mini laser thing, [again, terminology,] to enter a blank version of the tron world to visualize/create/test/ a structure for the city. There are many other implications though.) Encom starts developing new products off of it... Anyway, it will all be explained better when the first trailer comes out in quite a few years. It sounds a lot less lame than that. I just don't want to give you all a big picture... This is just a small aspect you see in the first 10 minutes. I expect it to be an hour and a half at least, I have sooooo much laid out...

I also need to borrow some local person's old Ducati... As I'm surely not going to be buying one... Sorry if this is discombobulated. I'll organize it better sooner or later. And yes, Disney is officially starting to make a 3rd Tron next year, and it will come out sometime in 2013-14, so that's why I chose to do this over my IVY project from longer back.

And, I will post costume updates here often, along with some of the concept art, and other things... I won't frequently be updating, not much will be happening until I'm in college for a short while and can start setting up plans with others, but I will try.

I would ask "what do you guys think so far? But there's barely anything to get excited over yet... As for if it has some little pieces of the original Tron, I don't have a definitive answer yet. I have a pretty solid plotline based of of Legacy so far though... I mean, I don't want to throw something in at this point and ruin it... (Not ruin the film, but ruin what someone views as proper care of the original Tron character's integrity. Just loosely throwing them in at this point would seem harsh to true original fans.)

Last edited:
Good luck with this. But keep one thing in mind: characters and story is what makes a film. I myself did a short fan film script set after the events of TRON: Legacy, and it was a character piece, set in an apartment and involved a conversation on a cell phone. You can have all the best equipment and costumes, but it comes down to the story and characters (not to mention actors who can actually act).

Good luck with this. But keep one thing in mind: characters and story is what makes a film. I myself did a short fan film script set after the events of TRON: Legacy, and it was a character piece, set in an apartment and involved a conversation on a cell phone. You can have all the best equipment and costumes, but it comes down to the story and characters (not to mention actors who can actually act).

Mine was originally going to be a 10-minute video, for the fun of it... But I just kept finding more and more ways to make the story have a much more emotional impact, without getting wimpy... All I really said up above was essentially just costumes and a tiny snippet of the beginning, I really don't want to ruin all of the surprises I have in mind. That said, I am not going to college to major in a fine-art. There will be no 15-minute scene where everybody is just sitting there having intelligent conversations sipping tea. My goal for this film is to not bore the viewer. (Not trying to rip on your piece, just stating that I am going towards having it more like a full-length film.)

And I know the source material isn't exactly the best to work with in terms of solid characters and such, but I am trying. :)

Last edited:
Haven't they green-lit an official sequel? I thought I read that somewhere. If they have, that could put a damper on your project as Disney is not exactly friendly (so I hear) about unlicensed use of their IP. I think it's a cool idea, I'm just not so sure the proverbial 800lb gorilla will...

Haven't they green-lit an official sequel? I thought I read that somewhere. If they have, that could put a damper on your project as Disney is not exactly friendly (so I hear) about unlicensed use of their IP. I think it's a cool idea, I'm just not so sure the proverbial 800lb gorilla will...

They have! Which I am excited about.

But yes, I hope not to have issues... I mean, there are hundreds of Tron fan-films... From what I've seen, at most Disney just forces them to not use the official music if they do. If my fan film is different only because it's much longer, then I don't think I'll have problems.

Sounds terrific. Start your film career with something utterly unoriginal, a fan film.

Yeah that'll get you a job in Hollywood.

Look.....if you have enough drive to do something as ambitious as what you describe....do something original for heaven's sake. Don't waste it on a fan film.

Please.

Sounds terrific. Start your film career with something utterly unoriginal, a fan film.

Yeah that'll get you a job in Hollywood.

Look.....if you have enough drive to do something as ambitious as what you describe....do something original for heaven's sake. Don't waste it on a fan film.

Please.

My plan was to originally go with my IVY script. I still will always want to do this Tron one, but I do see your point, and it makes a lot of sense.

I just am very catious about it... I mean, generally every single original student project I have seen is always so... (I don't want to sound rude, but) artsy. And not a good kind. The kind that has a severe lack of filling. The kind where the picture is faded, and the music makes you want to kill yourself.

By doing the Tron film there is already a set formula... I don't want to do my IVY project and it become just another boring melodramatic student film... When surrounded by other students who are the complete "art-major" package, (I'm there to get my bachelors degree in science technology, video production but named differently so I can get a job in another field if somehow the world decides it doesn't like media,) and where a group of people has to work on it, I don't want it to lose it's original principle.

That's why I wanted to save it for when I'm not in that environment. And there isn't much else to do, hence me wanting to make a Tron film. I need a personal project, and I don't want to turn into one of them. O_O

Last edited:
My plan was to originally go with my IVY script. I still will always want to do this Tron one, but I do see your point, and it makes a lot of sense.

I just am very catious about it... I mean, generally every single original student project I have seen is always so... (I don't want to sound rude, but) artsy. And not a good kind. The kind that has a severe lack of filling. The kind where the picture is faded, and the music makes you want to kill yourself.

By doing the Tron film there is already a set formula... I don't want to do my IVY project and it become just another boring melodramatic student film... When surrounded by other students who are the complete "art-major" package, (I'm there to get my bachelors degree in science technology, video production but named differently so I can get a job in another field if somehow the world decides it doesn't like media,) and where a group of people has to work on it, I don't want it to lose it's original principle.

That's why I wanted to save it for when I'm not in that environment. And there isn't much else to do, hence me wanting to make a Tron film. I need a personal project, and I don't want to turn into one of them. O_O

I sort of get what you mean. I can't tell you how many times I was wanting to do a personal project to counter-balance the short film projects we were doing (one of them was a sci-fi film set in the Wild West and involved time traveling zombies). But in between all the classes and labs, it was hard to fit in anything else (even with the resources I had available to me), let alone be able to get any of my other classmates involved if I wanted to (as they shared the same classes and labs as well).

If you feel that you must do your fan film, go for it. Believe it or not, nowadays, most people who do fan films actually include them on their demo reels to show their directing style, how well they work with the material and such. So, again, if you feel this is the best project for you, it's definitely useful as to not only add to a demo reel, but to also help you practice in the areas of what you want to work primarily in.

But as micdavis has stated, doing something original will get you more recognition than a fan film will. What's in The Box?, Ataque de Pánico! and Hobo with a Shotgun started off their lives as Internet videos. After both What's in The Box? and Ataque de Pánico! hit the web, Hollywood actually contacted the filmmakers to see if it was possible for feature-length versions could be done. As for Hobo with a Shotgun, due to the massive popularity of the trailer, it eventually lead to a feature-length version being made with Rutger Hauer (as we all know). So, keep it in mind when you do your next project after the fan film.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back