The Abyss Submersibles Project

Wow... been a long time since I saw those "blueprints"... I did those while I was working on the film as a side job for Orson Scott Card who did the "novelization" of the script... in the book, the title block on the lower right side was cut off... but the comic book version kept it... with my Benthic Petroleum logo and Lindsey Brigman's signature! :)

Thank you so much for this post. The Abyss is one of those movies that was very influential in my young life. I had an aquarium that I had found which was quite large and in it, I attempted to build the oil platform out of Construx, of all things (it was a good-sized aquarium). Please keep posting any plans or pics that you may have. I would also be someone who would be interested in purchasing a kit of the Flatbed. How awesome. A while ago I started to make some short stop-motion films, and one I had in mind was going be an homage to The Abyss. This thread has really whetted my desire to revisit the film and that idea. Thanks again!

Wow! I've been floating around the RPF for only a little over a year and hadn't seen this thread until now. Great stuff about a great movie. I've always thought the effects work was some of the best ever. I got to see the big premiere/event at Radio City Music Hall and eventually I got to work with Cameron. Sitting at lunch and listening to him talk about shooting the Abyss has been one of the highlights of my career. Very cool to see posts from so many of you who worked on the movie! Hoping this thread stays alive.

Hi All,
New here, from Ireland :) wow what a great thread. Amazing to here from some of you guys who worked on the Abyss, It's a favorite movie of mine. I remember I bought the special edition VHS tape hand number box and brochure etc way way back. Then the DVD. Only got to see the famous Rat scene recently as censorship at the time in Ireland came under the BBFC (UK censors) I met Orson Scott Card once very nice guy was helpful with writing tips to me. Also met Mary Elizabeth when she was in Ireland while her husband was filming. I was wondering if anyone had closeups of the models of the divers, I want to make models (12 inch) like the ones in the video clip of the navy divers on the subs. Also thanks to all you guys for posting shots of the subs which I also want to make. But firstly I want to model the divers. Any and all help would be great. :)

Last edited:
the digital bits had a short blurb about we might see the abyss and true lies finally this year. i cant wait to see it in HD.
Yes,
It seems Tom Arnold said he has done a commentary for True Lies and the so the hope is the Abyss is in the works too. My fingers have been crossed for about 3 years now.

coffey-sculpt.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

download.jpgIMG_2908.jpg Now if I could do this for a living, id quit my job! Really wish I could buy this.

Somebody mentioned Flatbed plans? :love I've got a copy. And I share. Let me know if you want a copy.
George :cool
Hello,
Would u be willing to share flatbed plans? Also I'm trying to make 1:6 scale diving helmets like in the movie, do u know where I might get pics/drawings of the model helmets? That photo of the model helmets on the bench that DaveG posted was a good start.
Thanks

Hi Dave,
I've been trying to create these great helmets 1:6 scale, my questions are:
1. How we're these model made?
2. Do u have other pictures of the model helmets?
I have been trying too make them from DAS modeling clay but it's not going well :(

Hi Dave,
I've been trying to create these great helmets 1:6 scale, my questions are:
1. How we're these model made?
2. Do u have other pictures of the model helmets?
I have been trying too make them from DAS modeling clay but it's not going well :(

I don't have any other photos or drawings of the Abyss diving helmets, sorry. I can tell you that the ones made by Western Space Marine for the film were quite a bit different that Ron Cobb's original designs. Less bulbous.

I don't have any other photos or drawings of the Abyss diving helmets, sorry. I can tell you that the ones made by Western Space Marine for the film were quite a bit different that Ron Cobb's original designs. Less bulbous.

Thanks Dave,
I did just the other day find some great 360° shots of the helmets from a photo gallery tucked away on the DVD set, I don't suppose u have 3d project files of flatbed and cab1?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back