Air brushing Compressor for model's

youngwm

I was thinking of asking my wife for a compressor for Christmas this year and was wondering if I could get some feed back on which model to check into. Also the model paints come in such a small size what paint thinner is common?
Also does air brushing really give an advantage over say using model master spray cans?
Should I stick with a single action sprayer to start?

Thanks,

Mike

That depends what paint you regularly use? Acrylics are pretty common now, but there's also enamels,acrylic laquers...if you are super fancey there are urethanes.All require different thinning ratios to air brush properly.There's a bunch of compressors on the market for both hobbyists and pros.It depends what's in your budget, the paint you mainly stick with using,the type of air brush model.I have a Binks compressor that is a diaphram design I think? It has a pressure gage on it, a water trap, and is relatively quiet.I attempted selling it about a year ago,got lots of messages...but in the end, no one wanted to shell out the $$$ because Binks(while a very good/reputabel manufacturere),is also expensive.

Thanks, I was thinking of spending around $150.00 for the compressor.. I am starting out nut have been using acrylics.

As for the comparison between airbrush and rattle can, the size of paint particles is comparible to a pea and a grape, you can get full, even coverage and barely lose fine detail with an airbrush in multiple coats whereas a rattle can with drown all the detail out.

I use a Porter Cable 5 gallon compressor, with a 1/8" to 3/8" Airbrush hose,
and a male 3/8" air hose fitting.

and i got a cheap, double action airbrush here.

0.3mm HIGH PRECISION Double Action Hobby AIRBRUSH Kit | eBay

I have two, they work great.

cheers,

Brandon

I used to use a 20 gallon compressor that was super loud for all my airbrushing. However, I bought this compressor from Harbor Freight when it was on sale for $59

Airbrush Compressor Kit

I have never had a single issue with it and it is very quiet. IMHO really good for a first timer

Greg

Nice Jades, I may pick that kit up this weekend. I have a bunch of testor's acrylic paint can I use these and what should I use as a thinner. I think I read on a web site that you can use Windex as a thinner is that true, or what type of paint and thinner should I get to get started. There is a Harbor Freight on my way home from work I will call and see if they have the product in stock, otherwise I will order online.
I will start practicing air brushing this weekend.. And hey I can always get a new model kit for Christmas.

Thanks for all the info!

No you can't thin testors paints with windex, they are acrylic enamel so you would thin them with lacquer thinner. If you want some really nice paint to start with that don't need thinning at all and would spray perfect buy some Golden airbrush acrylics or FW inks. Those spray like a dream and "if" you need to thin you do so with distilled water or airbrush medium.
Also a good airbrush is like night and day to a cheap POS when you first start. I recommend any o the Iwata line you can't go wrong with even there base model Revolution. ;)

Thin the paint with whatever thinner the manufacturer recommends.

I HATE the sound of a compressor running while I'm working. I use it to fill a tank like this one, and paint from it. It's whisper quite and the airflow is steady. You don't need a small airbrush compressor, I like having a big shop compressor I can use for other things too.

I picked up a a tank compressor for about 40 bucks on sale at harbor freight and love it. I prefer the tank because you fill it up and get a nice steady flow of air. With just a compressor you get a slight pulsing in the air flow.

No you can't thin testors paints with windex, they are acrylic enamel so you would thin them with lacquer thinner. If you want some really nice paint to start with that don't need thinning at all and would spray perfect buy some Golden airbrush acrylics or FW inks. Those spray like a dream and "if" you need to thin you do so with distilled water or airbrush medium.
Also a good airbrush is like night and day to a cheap POS when you first start. I recommend any o the Iwata line you can't go wrong with even there base model Revolution. ;)

Not quite......Testors acrylics can be thin with alcohol,water,future.

I have to second the Harbor Freight route. The $8 airbrush is great and the compressor combo is great.
These airbrushes are all we've been using for stuff over the past 2 years. One starts acting up or won't clean out correctly - pitch it. Works every bit as well as the old Paache brushes I have, and reminds me of an Iwata.

Here you go:
Airbrush Compressor Kit

For under $100 - can't be beat.

This is half the price in the store:
http://www.harborfreight.com/deluxe-airbrush-kit-95810.html

I just paid $8 for a pile of them.

Laffo.

Last edited:
I love my Iwata Smart Jet, but living in an apartment and moving around so much, the size and quality of it couldn't be beat for me. I've been using it for a few years now and its held up to 6 moves across CA. I have a couple Paasche airbrushes and Iwatas as well and love them both for their specific uses. I'd say, if you are starting off, start off with an affordable but well rated dual action AB. Paasche routinely has clearance sales on their brushes and the Iwata Revolution line is a very affordable, beloved line of ABs.

I had started with a Single Action Iwata and then was given my Revolution Iwata Dual Action as a gift and have never looked back. If you feel like you'll be airbrush often, definitely go with a beginner dual action, even if you upgrade later on, the cheaper dual actions will stay much more useful then the single action. My take on things though as a cheap college student.

HF makes nice stuff too, since I've grown my tool collection...I have added a HF compressor as well as an airbrush set from them and use it as a base sprayer. Many of the needles and bits can be interchangeable with the more expensive brands as well.

I use windex to thin all acrylic paints and have never had an issue. The orginal stuff with amonia.

I also use it to clean out the airbrush too. Works great.

BTW the best compressor to use if your not wanting loud, is a silent air. I built 4-5 for about $100 in parts each when I used to teach ... They are expensive to buy but really cheap to build if your fairly handy. ;)

How would you go about building one? I'm interested in learning more. Thanks! :)

Thanks for all the feed back, I went with the Harbor Freight air brush deal because at that price I could justify making that purchase now. I bought a extra air-brush and will be up and paining this weekend.
Don't mean to change the subject in the thread but speaking of air brushing does anyone have any good weathering tutorials using an air brush. I did some research on youtube found some people weathering some train cargo cars.. I am working on a fine molds FM snowspeeder I have good paint remover that I am going to remove the primer and paint that I put on with model master's spay can and after some extensive practice use the air brush.. By next week I should be ready to weather.

I have to drive 40 min to the closest Hobby Shop to get paint.. I guess I will stick with Model Mastor or Testor's paints.. What sucks is I just spent $5.65 a can on three or four spray cans. I guess there is no way to spray the can paint in my air brush sprayer and add thinner..

Thanks again as a beginner I have got some really great info, and I am on my way to some model building.. I made some changes to my basement shop this week and I am ready to work.. I will make sure I post some pics.

...I guess there is no way to spray the can paint in my air brush sprayer and add thinner...

Sure you can, but spraying into a jar really makes a mess and wastes most of it.

When I need to get paint from the spray can, I take it outside and press it in a clamp to push the nozzle. I leave it out overnight spraying upside down, so only the propellant sprays out. When the propellant is gone you can punch a hole in the can and pour it out.

Rubbing alcohol makes GREAT thinner for acrylics.

Nice Jades, I may pick that kit up this weekend. I have a bunch of testor's acrylic paint can I use these and what should I use as a thinner. I think I read on a web site that you can use Windex as a thinner is that true, or what type of paint and thinner should I get to get started. There is a Harbor Freight on my way home from work I will call and see if they have the product in stock, otherwise I will order online.
I will start practicing air brushing this weekend.. And hey I can always get a new model kit for Christmas.

Thanks for all the info!

you can cut off a few inches of drinking straw , hold that over where the rattle can paint sprays from and direct the straw into your airbrush jar , just spray out enough that you need

should be ready to go thinners wise

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back