The Enterprise Restoration Project

Is this the one?

Screenshot 2014-10-28 17.35.51.png

Funny enough, that could be -- it may be that the photo shows the clear backing has yellowed with age. If that's the case, I think it would be pretty funny. :)

The clear decal film does turn yellow, I've seen it on many model kit decals. You can place the sheet in a window that gets lots of sunlight to bleach the yellow out.

I've never heard of any controversy regarding the registry, the markings are solid black and I've never heard anyone suggest otherwise. But if the clear film had yellowed it could be mistaken for a gold border.

The clear decal film does turn yellow, I've seen it on many model kit decals. You can place the sheet in a window that gets lots of sunlight to bleach the yellow out.
Yeah, as you saw, it hasn't yellowed on the model, but the photo of the sheet appears to show it's yellowed there. Can't be sure from just one photo.

I've never heard of any controversy regarding the registry, the markings are solid black and I've never heard anyone suggest otherwise. But if the clear film had yellowed it could be mistaken for a gold border.
I wouldn't call it a controversy per se, just a common mistake. It cropped up on FB when TrekCore posted some shots last week that appeared to show a white border. Steve Iverson pointed out that it also gets mistaken for a gold one, I assume on his site (CultTVMan).

People see those things and get carried away, such as a few FB comments I saw that went more or less like this:

"OMG!! The letters have a white border! I never knew that!! So that's where they got the idea for the red borders on the refit!!! This is so awesome!" Not an exact quote, so YMMV. :p

it does raise an interesting question as to what the smallest registry numbers on that sheet were for? where did they go? were they for the shuttle model? Who invented liquid soap and why?

Registry is visable top, bottom, port, starboard, front as well given the saucer raises and you can read it.
My guess is perhaps it was for the back but there is no place for it to go unless you covered up the landing lights
or put them on the sides of the saucer next to the impulse engines which doesn't work very well at all.
So maybe that 's why they stayed on the sheet instead of the model.
Only other thing might be the secondary hull somewhere other than the back, but that might be redundant.

I was thinking the smaller registries may have been for the 3 foot model, but they wouldn't need reverse numbers for that. Maybe they were just for a different area that they decided not to apply them to.

The thing to keep in mind was that the 11 foot model wasn't a model kit... one sheet wasn't intended to supply all the decals, dozens of these sheets were made. Also, lots of these sheets were made at one-quarter scale for the 33 inch model. Datin still had some of the smaller decal sheets, and they included the reverse lettering even though the 33 inch model was never going to use them.

While it was envisioned that the reverse lettering would be used more, the only time it was applied to the 11 foot model (that I can tell) was during the effects footage shot at the same time as the second pilot.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back