The Enterprise Restoration Project

May I also propose that while the original E is away being restored, the team build up one of Steve's 1/2 scale ones to temporarily replace it?

If we're able to get the partner we hope, we hope to put a loaned screen used model of the Enterprise in her place while the restoration is underway.

If we're able to get the partner we hope, we hope to put a loaned screen used model of the Enterprise in her place while the restoration is underway.

Might that be Greg Jein and his half scale model of the Enterprise for the DS9 episode - "Trials and Tribble-ations?" :thumbsup

I don't know why anyone would want to "restore" the refit since unlike the TOS ship, the refit's paint has indeed been screen used (Trek 6). I don't believe it can ever be taken back to its TMP appearance, given that it had so many touch ups and repaints done in ALL the movies it was used in (six films). That paint work is like patina on a statue IMHO. Again it gets to the question of restoring versus augmenting. I would limit any restoration on that ship to internal modifications and improvements of its internal supports. Again, since it is a studio model, it was never really built for long term public display, but rather short duration movie effects shots.

At least with the 11 footer, it is more likely it can be taken back to an original baseline appearance and such a restoration seems more justified since the weathering work on the last restoration was not based on the original paint job.

One of the primary considerations of a museum is to inform and inspire their visitors. The display and restoration of artifacts that impacted our culture, our way of exploring and thus seeing our world requires a lot of dedication, money and skill, it’s a serious business. To stay in business however, the museum will need to tweak their visitors’ imagination. A real space ship or air craft on display means little if it fails to inform and inspire the viewer. The Star Ship Enterprise model is indeed no “real space ship”, it may even have been considered a publicity stunt at one time, but if so it was because that model and the TV show it served was a vehicle of shear inspiration and imagination. Even those “real historical” artifacts dangling from the ceiling or stationed on the floor had their humble beginnings in the human imagination. These things issued forth from the hearts and minds of those inspired and set to work creating them. Aviation and indeed our forays into space are a shinning example of what the human imagination can do when we are determined to bring it into reality.

That model represents a dream, and served as grist for the human imagination. Think of it as a dry run, a simulation if you will, for the day when we set our hands to the task of building a “real Star Ship”. It will take more than money and brains to make it happen, it will take the support and imagination of millions of people and the talented inspired imagination of those dedicated to make it so.

RW.

What I wrote does not conflict with your statement - I actually beleive what you wrote - however I also believe that the museum thinks as I described. The cultural artifacts belong with Archies Bunkers chair - not the SR71 blackbird... That's how they view things. However they do realize that the Enterprise has inspired a TON of people that would also like to see the blackbird... so they keep it "with" them... in the gift shop away from the "real" artifacts.:thumbsdown

Jedi Dade

Last edited by a moderator:
JD,
I have to say I agree with you on this. I'm still in favor of the Air and Space Museum having Trek or Star Wars temporary exhibits, but the proper place for the Enterprise is in with the other "pop" cultural artifacts.

IIRC-when the ship was hanging in it's original spot, it was in a "space in popular media" section.

I do think the air and space folks do give it better treatment than it would get in the history building simply because there is more room in A&S.

Well the reason I like it in the A&S museum is that is the museum I enjoy the most anyway... so I don't have to go to two to get what I want :)

Jedi Dade

I'm a member at a website ( www.nautilussubmarine.com ) that discusses, primarily, Harper Goff's Nautilus from Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. In a separate section of the site is an area to post films or TV shows of interest. So I posted Star Trek TOS to start a thread on the show and automatically (almost without thinking; as if this was the most pressing aspect) opened with a discussion about the terrible restoration that sits at the Smithsonian. I felt I had to cut to the chase and point out the unfortunate restoration of the Enterprise. The more pictures I pulled up on the web, the more upset I became.
This is the perfect project to right this wrong. And to eventually get the model into an environment that will allow it to last for decades to come would be a crowning touch.
John - I wish you and all that join in your project much success. Money is what will make this miracle happen and I hope you and your team are able to generate what is needed.
A most excellent quest.

Can I ask who in the thread would be the top people to contact to help out in any way possible to make this come true?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back