The Enterprise Restoration Project

Wasn't that always the standard, though? Sure not a goal any restoration effort so far has been able to achieve. Seems to me that ignoring the clear experts on the Enterprise filming miniature is a decision of hubris and ego, not one of logic. #WhatWouldSpockSay?

The standard that has been discussed is her last filmed appearance for Star Trek.

John

Yes, but it's statements like this from the Smithsonian about the Enterprise miniature that are worrisome:

But why conservation instead of restoration? “The Museum’s general approach emphasizes conservation over preservation and preservation over restoration,” explained those involved with the project at the Smithsonian. “Restoration is bringing an object back to its appearance and condition at a determined point in time in the past. With a restoration approach, there is less concern for preserving original materials and more focus on returning to the original specification, often through the addition of non-original materials. Preservation is an overall philosophy that favors keeping original material over creating an ideal physical appearance, while keeping the artifact from deteriorating any more. Conservation follows the preservation philosophy and is minimally invasive, utilizing scientific investigation and techniques to maintain original materials, preserving the object’s physical history of ownership and use.”

I hope everyone here realizes that the top of the primary hull has not been touched during any of the previous restorations and is still in her original glory, and should not be touched this go-round either.

I hope everyone here realizes that the top of the primary hull has not been touched during any of the previous restorations and is still in her original glory, and should not be touched this go-round either.

And is a wonderful reference as to weathering style, color, grid line thickness. Though I imagine the paint could have aged and faded.

Here's my (bad quality) pic from 2004.

oAAKGG.jpg

I applaud, in general, the approach they describe in that quote. But I agree that preserving part of the model's "history" as a badly treated museum piece is ridiculous. Whatever state it was in when it was last used for its intended purpose should be the target.

While I'd LOVE to see a very careful restoration to it's 1960s appearance, anyone that has seen the ship in person lately knows that the biggest issue with the model right now is that it is structurally unsound. When I saw it last year the engineering hull had an opening seam on the starboard side and that side's nacelle was beginning to droop as if the weight of the engine was beginning to pull apart the hull. So sure, I want a more accurate re-paint as much as the next guy but that's a distant second to hoping they keep the model from self-destructing.

Actually the engine nacelles are balanced better than you would think. The front is made from wood which is pretty dense and heavy which counter-balances the entire back which is made of rolled sheet metal. I'm not sure that the nacelle would be tearing the secondary hull apart.

Actually the engine nacelles are balanced better than you would think. The front is made from wood which is pretty dense and heavy which counter-balances the entire back which is made of rolled sheet metal. I'm not sure that the nacelle would be tearing the secondary hull apart.

But the nacelle is drooping and there is a split along a seam from the pylon forward. What do you suggest is causing it?

Age and stress would be my guess. The secondary hull was made like an old wood barrel with a bunch of different pieces of wood glued together to make the circle. Certainly after 50 years anyone of the joints could be showing a crack or separation which could just be some of the filler breaking loose (each joint is filled with filler on the outside all the way around the secondary hull). Certainly the nacelle most likely has something to do with it. I was just pointing out that the nacelle is not as bulky and heavy as you might think. The nacelles themselves have always been prone to drooping because of the design. The Enterprise miniature was modular in design and there was a certain amount of "play" so that the parts could fit together and be taken a part. Originally the nacelle pylons fit into a pocket in the secondary hull but the pocket had to be bigger to accept the pylon end therefore there was a little gap which would cause the nacelles to sag. Once in this pocket the nacelle would be shimmed to get them straight. Over a period of time and particularly when the miniature would be moved the pylon would shift resulting in the sagging appearance until it was shimmed straight again. When the 1991 renovation was done; the original pylons were routed out to accommodate internal electrical wiring for the motors and lights (the original power cables were run on the exterior of the pylons). No telling what is happening now with the new design due to the groove that was cut into the original solid wood pylon. Honestly, I'm not even sure if the engine pylons can be removed anymore and as far as the split in the secondary hull; it could be as simple as some of the filler has broken loose. What ever the case I am sure the NASM can handle the repair. :)

Last edited:
As amatter of fact the A&SM HAS botched the restorations of several airplanes. In the mid 1980's I was doing research on the Monocoupe Airplanes and got to know some of the researchers and restoration folks. I was heartbroken to find out they 'restored' the landing gear of the P51, but only with materials THAT LOOKED LIKE THE ORIGINAL PARTS, but were not strong enough as to be certified for flight etc. These are Government employees.

Honestly I don't considered the landing gear issue you described as a botched restoration and I don't really care if the landing gear is not flight rated; after all this is for a museum display not a flying warbird. If it is a matter of having NO landing gear or one that looks exactly like the real thing; I would rather have one even if it is not flight rated. They DID botch the X-1 many years ago when they had the wings painted white for many years. Even Chuck Yeager complained about it. Finally it was fixed. Hopefully the "Enterprise" will also finally be fixed.

Last edited:
I wish we knew who was doing the work. I think we'd all feel more confident knowing it was someone with a knowledge and love of the subject matter. We've been hurt before, lol.

Still, being an outside party, there's not much more I can do than wait and hope. So here's to you, Enterprise Restoration Team. Treat her right, or be ready for another 20 years of bashing by fans.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back