The Enterprise Restoration Project

I was at Air & Space yesterday visiting the Enterprise, and struck up conversation with one of the staff. He told me she's getting moved TODAY for restoration. They're taking her out to the Udvar Hazy annex's restoration facility. The staff member I was talking to didn't know who is working on the project though.

Enterprise and Apollo 11 Columbia together.

7425p.jpg

Attachments

• 7425p.jpg
    7425p.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 114
With all the enhanced resources available, and all the discussion out there of what SHOULD have been done to get it right, this time there should be no excuse. Doug D had better be in on this. If he isn't, they're foolish.

Everyone,
The dramatic changes in my life over the last few years - leaving the USAF, moving, joining ANOVOS (a group of people I consider family at this point), and all the new friendships I've made - all started with a desire to see the Original USS ENTERPRISE miniature restored to its former glory.

On September 8th 2011 the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum put up their annual STAR TREK post with a picture of the "restored" USS ENTERPRISE. Concerned about her physical condition far more than simply her cosmetics, I ended up in a conversation with Michael Okuda who explained the situation to me and challenged me to do something about it.

The next day I messaged and then called Steve Neill who in turn introduced me to Doug Drexler. Within a couple of weeks Mike had contacted NASM and at his behest they took a good hard look at the Enterprise and her condition.

Shortly after that I started the private Facebook group and started gathering people to the Enterprise's cause making even more friends along the way, many of whom I can count among my own friends today.

Those first little steps from passive STAR TREK viewer and fan to active participant emboldened me and so when my relationship with ANOVOS came to a point where it was time to go from a passive customer and fan to active participant I was ready.

And so here we are a few very busy years later. As an international fan base we are rapidly approaching the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek, and personally I have a new and incredible career serving inside the franchise I have loved my whole life.

While family commitments, my ANOVOS responsibilities, and my larger hopes and plans for STAR TREK's enduring future have limited my personal involvement in the Enterprise's restoration, I can't help but feel a sense of pride (and choke back a small tear or two) seeing the images of the old girl being moved to "dry dock" for my long dreamed of restoration.

It was with a desire to see this very event happen that my life has changed around me and in no small way I have the ENTERPRISE herself to thank.

Good luck and Godspeed to Adam Schneider, The Physical Restoration Team and anybody associated with The Enterprise’s Restoration, and thanks to everybody who worked so hard to get to this point, with special thanks to Steve Neill who helped me get the ball rolling.

John

Unless he's going past NDR-induced silence and into intentional misdirection, a recent FB post by Doug Drexler would suggest he and the other giants we'd hope would be involved, aren't. He said it looks like the Smithsonian is going to handle it themselves.

This is... Interesting. I'm not sure what this means for the state of the old girl the next time we see her:

"The Museum’s general approach emphasizes conservation over preservation and preservation over restoration. Restoration is bringing an object back to its appearance and condition at a determined point in time in the past. With a restoration approach, there is less concern for preserving original materials and more focus on returning to the original specification, often through the addition of non-original materials. Preservation is an overall philosophy that favors keeping original material over creating an ideal physical appearance, while keeping the artifact from deteriorating any more. Conservation follows the preservation philosophy and is minimally invasive, utilizing scientific investigation and techniques to maintain original materials, preserving the object’s physical history of ownership and use."

This is... Interesting. I'm not sure what this means for the state of the old girl the next time we see her:

"The Museum’s general approach emphasizes conservation over preservation and preservation over restoration. Restoration is bringing an object back to its appearance and condition at a determined point in time in the past. With a restoration approach, there is less concern for preserving original materials and more focus on returning to the original specification, often through the addition of non-original materials. Preservation is an overall philosophy that favors keeping original material over creating an ideal physical appearance, while keeping the artifact from deteriorating any more. Conservation follows the preservation philosophy and is minimally invasive, utilizing scientific investigation and techniques to maintain original materials, preserving the object’s physical history of ownership and use."

They've already violated that approach with the '91 *ahem* restoration. I agree with their philosophy, but in this case the damage has been done. As it is now a true restoration back to the original appearance couldn't do any more harm.

The thing is that the museum itself is solely responsible for not preserving the history of the piece with the botched restorations done to her since they had it. Why preserved the museums mistakes? Would they do that with an aircraft? I think not. The Enterprise miniature should be restored to the condition she was in on the last day that she went before the cameras. It's not like the Enterprise was used in other TV shows or movies so the entire history of it other than the work the Smithsonian was during Star Trek. Seems pretty simple to me.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back