Cyberman in FOAM!!! - WITH PATTERNS!!

Re: Cyberman - at last!! IN FOAM!!!

Not familiar with Dr. Who stuff but the build clearly speaks for itself. It's so clean and the edges are nice and crisp. Are you using a dummy or are you just measuring yourself to create the patterns?

Been following the thread and pics in lurk mode. So I'm just coming out tosay PHENOMENAL work here. It's really looking bang on. Can't wait to see the final fit with hands and 'inside tubing' Unreal! Very impressive.

I'd be interested in patterns/guide eventuially too.

I wonder if you'd consider building the chest units or helmets of other previous era/classic Cyberman out of the L-300? Or would L-200 be better for that?

Hey Bob! Nice of you to drop by! Yes I think for the good of the Cyberverse I will publish my patterns, but It will take time to make them palletable to others since I make things my way. Yes I think I L-300 is probably better for making these sort of things, the mats I used for my cyberman are l-300 and they work great for building, just are terrible when it comes to coating and sealing. And yes I have to get the hands and body suit done, but rest assured that will be "upgraded" for Gallifray.:lol

A little late, but here are the last build pics for the main armor. I'll be working on getting the gloves and under-suit done soon, but I need a break!
First the shoes
2011-10-29132103.jpg

Then the long overdue neck seal
2011-10-29132143.jpg

followed by the thighs getting sealed
2011-10-29140701.jpg

and finally the helmet!
2011-10-29140718.jpg

2011-10-29151221.jpg

Thanks for watching - stay tuned!

WOW!!! You should do the Cyberleader black on the helmet bars. This suit is good enough for leadership.

Yes I think for the good of the Cyberverse I will publish my patterns, but It will take time to make them palletable to others since I make things my way. .:lol

I would be GREATFULL to see a publishing of this magnitude. A class in iteself....GRADE A

Without a doubt it would set a precedent in foam workmanship and exceptional attention to detail which would be followed by many to come.

Wow!
Those pics are fantastic!!

Since that is all foam, how HOT is that suit, once you put it all together?

*Going back to read, how you cut such clean lines*
I have trouble doing that, with paper!

Absolutely beautiful. Love Cybermen!!

Easily one of the best RPF threads of the year. Huge props! :thumbsup
Gorton & co would be proud, I'd imagine.
Genuinely interested to see how you handle the remaining hands & undersuit, too.

OH, WOW...
This is really impressive.
I would love to see it at a Convention, or Sci Fi event.
You are really a master craftsman with foam!

I would be GREATFULL to see a publishing of this magnitude. A class in iteself....GRADE A

Working on it...

Since that is all foam, how HOT is that suit, once you put it all together?

Lets just say that taking pictures at night is a plus!

Gorton & co would be proud, I'd imagine.

I'm hoping they show again for the next Gallifray, I told Neil about it last year, but I imagine I was among a sea of crazy Whovians, so this year is about the wow factor.

I would love to see it at a Convention, or Sci Fi event.

I will probably be at comickaze this weekend, so if your in the LA area, come say hi!

Thanks again for all the kind words, I can't wait to finish it the rest!

SIMPLY AMAZING.....every time i look at this suit, you've inhanced it in some way that keeps inspiring everyone here. Excellent idea to airbrush the seams. I doubt i would have thought of that.
A few Quick questions : I am curious as to how many floor mats were used for this work of art? And what was used to seal the foam? My hat is off to you..So incredibly inspiring. Im sitting on the edge of my seat waiting to see what you do to finish it up.

I am curious as to how many floor mats were used for this work of art? And what was used to seal the foam?

Hey Cybermanguy, I think I used about 16, 24" x 24" mats, and to seal I found I needed to brush plasti-dip onto surfaces, then spray another 2 coats to try to smooth it out, but I actually hate the way it came out. I set out to spray 4 heavy coats to get a smooth look and instead I got this pot marked disaster. The pictures look great, but in person you can really see all the faults. (or maybe I'm too much of a perfectionist):lol

I thought you were going for the shading in the finish... at least that's how it photo'd. Like you airbrushed the into the edges. I guess it's the tool dip leaking around the edges... either way, it's got that nice metal effect.

I could see doing at least the two coats of tool dip,

But you could try using MinWax Polycrylic. It comes in Glossy, semi-gloss and satin finish. I think it's one of the best ways to get a smooth surface finish, and I've used it on latex and over foam before. It stays a little flexible which is why I like it over the lacquers.

As a fan of Doctor Who (Tom Baker,the best!),this takes me back as a kid watching this on Saturday afternoons on PBS! Absolutely amazing, I hope you offer templates to this.BTW, saw the Cyberman on the Halloween Costume Contest and voted without hesitation,hope it's you:lol.Good luck.:thumbsup

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back